Gracii Guns

British Politics

3 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

'They' shouldn't have offered a referendum to the people, to make a decision on an issue and promise to implement the result, if 'they' didn't really intend to respect and honour that decision, when 'they' didn't agree with the outcome. Democracy is everything and 'they' shouldn't be allowed to steal it away when it suits them.

You also seem to be putting anyone who chose to vote Leave into a box marked 'losers', 'racist' and 'gammons' (whatever the fuck that means?) why not go for the full set and add 'stupid' and 'old' to the mix? Condescension is, after all, what self-righteous Remainers do best.

But the referendum didn't say, "Exit EU under any circumstance". It just said "Exit". This leaves it up to the politicians to find an agreement that is good for the Brits AND results in Brexit. It would be wrong for politicians to accept any shitty deal just to get an exit when people didn't give them the mandate to accept any shitty deal.

I didn't, that was in relation to people who complain about the "elite" and it had actually nothing to do with Brexit. And I also didn't say that everybody who complains about the "elite" was fitting those descriptions.

33 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

'They' shouldn't have offered a referendum to the people, to make a decision on an issue and promise to implement the result, if 'they' didn't really intend to respect and honour that decision, when 'they' didn't agree with the outcome. Democracy is everything and 'they' shouldn't be allowed to steal it away when it suits them.

Why are you suprised? That's what politicians do all the time. They make promises they never keep. If you really want Brexit, forget about Boris and Corbyn. Vote UKIP or this new Brexit Party. Still I can't guarantee you that you will have the Brexit deal and the Paradise City type of country you are hoping to get. I'm afraid there is a romantic view about Brexit.

UKIP are utterly dead - I have already explained this.

A Brexit Party/Conservative ticket is the solution for leavers. That would contest the election with the Lib Dems, the party of remain. It will be hilarious watching Labour tank.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

UKIP are utterly dead - I have already explained this.

A Brexit Party/Conservative ticket is the solution for leavers. That would contest the election with the Lib Dems, the party of remain. It will be hilarious watching Labour tank.

Why Conservative? They are divided over Brexit. Brexit never was their priority nor it is something they really believe in. Just look at the revolt they have been in since the referendum. If Boris, Gove and others are so in favour of Brexit. They better join the Brexit Party.

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

Why Conservative? They are divided over Brexit. Brexit never was their priority nor it is something they really believe in. Just look at the revolt they have been in since the referendum. If Boris, Gove and others are so in favour of Brexit. They better join the Brexit Party.

I would say the Conservatives have swung considerably towards Brexit since Boris's appointment - haven't you see all of the deselections/defections (to Lib Dems)? In actually fact this precedes Boris as it began with the defections to The Independence Group. Essentially the Tories are being cleansed of their Euroists.

24 minutes ago, Padme said:

Why are you suprised? That's what politicians do all the time. They make promises they never keep. If you really want Brexit, forget about Boris and Corbyn. Vote UKIP or this new Brexit Party. Still I can't guarantee you that you will have the Brexit deal and the Paradise City type of country you are hoping to get. I'm afraid there is a romantic view about Brexit.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. Our politicians disgust me.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would say the Conservatives have swung considerably towards Brexit since Boris's appointment - haven't you see all of the deselections/defections (to Lib Dems)? In actually fact this precedes Boris as it began with the defections to The Independence Group. Essentially the Tories are being cleansed of their Euroists.

What if those former Tories who are now independent or joined Lib. Dem. still keep their seat in a general election? That means they will be back in Parliament. Also it means stronger Lib. Dem and weaker Tories.

4 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I'm not surprised in the slightest. Our politicians disgust me.

Me too. Especially when they break the law and lie to the queen. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

What if those former Tories who are now independent or joined Lib. Dem. still keep their seat in a general election? That means they will be back in Parliament. Also it means stronger Lib. Dem and weaker Tories.

Some of them are from leave constituencies.

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Me too. Especially when they break the law and lie to the queen. 

Did you not find it a bit hypocritical of Major bringing proceedings against Boris for the exact same thing he did in 1997 during the cash for questions saga?

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Did you not find it a bit hypocritical of Major bringing proceedings against Boris for the exact same thing he did in 1997 during the cash for questions saga?

A little yeah but there is a bit of a difference here. Cash for questions was shit but it wasn’t going to cause serious damage to the country in the way that a no deal Brexit would. 

Just now, Dazey said:

A little yeah but there is a bit of a difference here. Cash for questions was shit but it wasn’t going to cause serious damage to the country in the way that a no deal Brexit would

...in your opinion.

Major did the exact same thing Boris's stands convicted of, namely using prorogation to shut down debate and parliamentary scrutiny. Utter hypocrisy.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

...in your opinion.

Major did the exact same thing Boris's stands convicted of, namely using prorogation to shut down debate and parliamentary scrutiny. Utter hypocrisy.

Yeah, I don’t really care about John Major though. Maybe if the Supreme Court existed back then somebody could have brought a case against him but it speaks volumes of the order of magnitude difference between the two scenarios that nobody could be arsed. 

Just now, Dazey said:

Yeah, I don’t really care about John Major though. Maybe if the Supreme Court existed back then somebody could have brought a case against him but it speaks volumes of the order of magnitude difference between the two scenarios that nobody could be arsed. 

You waitrosey types are full of hypocrisy.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Some of them are from leave constituencies.

Well then we'll see what happens in those leave constituencies

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fockin aye'. Can't wait 'till Brexit. 

IPAs are a bit froofy, when did you become a hipster? :o

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fockin aye'. Can't wait 'till Brexit. 

I love how Wetherspoons have already lowered prices in order to prove that you have to leave the EU in order to lower prices. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, soon said:

IPAs are a bit froofy, when did you become a hipster? :o

Real Ale man myself. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I love how Wetherspoons have already lowered prices in order to prove that you have to leave the EU in order to lower prices. :lol: 

Their magazine is great for the Brexit lover. Plenty on how we'll thrive if you care to peruse when sipping your Ruddles. 

Good crossword also. You only win 'Spoons vouchers.

Edited by DieselDaisy

One thing about London is, how is there even such a thing as alcoholism or a drink problem in London? You couldn't afford it at a fiver a pint. I'd be teetotal if I lived in London.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

One thing about London is, how is there even such a thing as alcoholism or a drink problem in London? You couldn't afford it at a fiver a pint. I'd be teetotal if I lived in London.

That's what the London Weighting money is for :P

11 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

That's what the London Weighting money is for :P

Just looked that up as I hadn't heard of it before, and all I can say is (in a northern accent): the cheeky bastards. 

• Haha 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Just looked that up as I hadn't heard of it before, and all I can say is (in a northern accent): the cheeky bastards. 

Quoted because i knew something you didn't :P

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Quoted because i knew something you didn't :P

You did. 

One thing I noticed in London is the way everybody just takes their pint on the street. You see this a bit in all cities including Newcastle, but it is stranger when you have all these stockbroker types in the business hub (where all those shardy gherkin crappy buildings are) having lunchtime pints on the pavement.