British Politics

Gracii Guns

So this is what life is like in one of England's former fishing towns. Fuck you EU! :lol: 

I can't post the videos so have a look in the two links. What a bunch of absolute creatures! :lol: 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/woman-window-ledge-hull-video-3358876

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/street-cred-woman-plummeting-window-3368989?fbclid=IwAR3vDSu907FeFW1OhjucXWk1E0mzQuoSX71jizWiqSMnCpE2giNMnEjr_TI

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

No, I'm afraid Boris didn't bring up Jo Cox, as already stated elsewhere, it was opposition MPs who did, quite disgracefully. He merely responded to their rather hysterical line of questioning as best he could. Also, it is Remainers who have displayed quite fascist tendancies in refusing to accept the outcome of a democratic referendum, not giving losers' consent and instead seeking to undermine, delegitimize and overturn the result every step of the way.

So you have Arsenal playing against Liverpool. Liverpool wins and you want Arsenal fans become Liverpool fans? You want Arsenal fans to be happy with the result? Arsenal fans will always be Arsenal fans.

Brexit can still take place. But Remainers will always be remainers.

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

So you have Arsenal playing against Liverpool. Liverpool wins and you want Arsenal fans become Liverpool fans? You want Arsenal fans to be happy with the result? Arsenal fans will always be Arsenal fans.

And Brexiteers will always be cocks! :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

37 minutes ago, Padme said:

No, I'm not saying I want Remainers to become Brexiteers at all. You really should have a look into the concept of Democracy and losers' consent. I'm sure you prefer living in a democratic country than a dictatorship?

10 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

No, I'm not saying I want Remainers to become Brexiteers at all. You really should have a look into the concept of Democracy and losers' consent. I'm sure you prefer living in a democratic country than a dictatorship?

I understand, sure Leave won. BUT the margin was 52/48. Is that a landslide? No, far from it. So any Brexit plan can't ignore those 48%.

Then there is the issue of Leavers who believe in fairy tales. Brexit is not a magic trick that will fix all the problems. The average citizen won't take back control of anything. The world doesn't work this way. That's what Remanainers are saying. They are afraid that Brexit would make things worst.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Atlantic Charter with regards to tourism in the Caribbean?

My question is prompted by this passage in an article I'm reading:

Spoiler

Mass tourism was spurred on by neoliberal organisations post-World War Two as a way for welfare states to develop (Higgins-Desbiolles, 2006; Carrigan, 2011). International financial institutes offered exploitative loans in exchange for adopting tourism development strategies (Higgins-Desbiolles, 2006). Britain helped establish the "Atlantic Charter" which sought to develop the Caribbean tourism industry, however with vested interest as the UK traded 50 destroyers for a 99 year lease on seven Commonwealth islands (Carrigan, 2011). The tourism industry is also plagued with a "leakage" in that money is commonly siphoned off from the host state following a similar pattern to colonial times (Carrigan, 2011). 

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/orientalism-and-the-cultural-constructions-of-modern-day-mass-tourism.html#.XY9FkCV7mqk

The charter can be seen as a structure to transfer an empire and an emerging super power to a postcolonial stance. One that imposes hegemonic imperialism rather them military imperialism.  

The eight principal points of the Charter were:

Spoiler
  1. no territorial gains were to be sought by the United States or the United Kingdom;
  2. territorial adjustments must be in accord with the wishes of the peoples concerned;
  3. all people had a right to self-determination;
  4. trade barriers were to be lowered;
  5. there was to be global economic cooperation and advancement of social welfare;
  6. the participants would work for a world free of want and fear;
  7. the participants would work for freedom of the seas;
  8. there was to be disarmament of aggressor nations, and a common disarmament after the war.

Points 4 and 5 are the language of neoliberalism, though not exclusively of course. Neoliberalism wasnt even defined as we know it today for some decades to come. But what we've seen is that in all this lovely-dubby non-hostility projected at the caribbean is their ongoing poverty and our ongoing use of them as resort destinations for those of means.

So, how insidious were the intentions of this Atlantic Charter? Were the powers simply along for the march of history - these changes simply were the new reality and the document just acknowledges that? Were these small Islands not really considered for much at all in the first place? Or is the Charter, in part, a foundational document for neoliberalism?

Edited by soon

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

I understand, sure Leave won. BUT the margin was 52/48. Is that a landslide? No, far from it. So any Brexit plan can't ignore those 48%.

Then there is the issue of Leavers who believe in fairy tales. Brexit is not a magic trick that will fix all the problems. The average citizen won't take back control of anything. The world doesn't work this way. That's what Remanainers are saying. They are afraid that Brexit would make things worst.

So you would say the same had it been 52/48 the other way? I doubt you would. It doesn't have to be a landslide, that's not how it works. The minority give losers' consent and you go with the majority.

Leave won the referendum.... so we leave and we leave properly.... then Remainers can campaign for as long and loudly as they want to take us back in, as is their democratic right.

That's how democracy works.... anything else is an attempt to subvert democracy.

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

So you would say the same had it been 52/48 the other way? I doubt you would. It doesn't have to be a landslide, that's not how it works. The minority give losers' consent and you go with the majority.

Leave won the referendum.... so we leave and we leave properly.... then Remainers can campaign for as long and loudly as they want to take us back in, as is their democratic right.

That's how democracy works.... anything else is an attempt to subvert democracy.

The other way around would've been continuation of something that was already in place. Leave voters knew what to expect had they been in the losing side. Leave on the other hand is something new. It is going into the unknown. It is a big gamble. You have to give Remainers strong reasons to be optimistic about the future.

Just now, soon said:

This chick?

k2HXgqKh.jpg

Get off! She's mine!!!! :lol: 

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is a strange past time for you. It would be like me reading The Guardian every morning.

I listen to James O'Brien on LBC afterwards for the sake of balance. :lol: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Padme said:

The other way around would've been continuation of something that was already in place. Leave voters knew what to expect had they been in the losing side. Leave on the other hand is something new. It is going into the unknown. It is a big gamble. You have to give Remainers strong reasons to be optimistic about the future.

Again, sorry but no, that's not how democracy works. You don't have to give Remainers strong reasons to be optimistic about the future at all. There was nothing on the ballot paper that said in the event of a vote to leave, Brexiteers have to help Remainers feel better about themselves. Something new/going into the unknown is irrelevant as that was discussed in the run-up to the referendum as well. This is all being stirred up by Remainiacs as a reason not to give losers' consent and it is nonsense.  You said in a previous post that Remainers will always be Remainers, so why would Leavers bother to try to convince them of anything? More importantly, if Remainers can't convince themselves that leaving might not be that bad and certainly not the apocalypse talked up by Project Fear, that's their problem.