Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

On 6/3/2019 at 7:36 AM, Amir said:

While I did really like the 2014 Godzilla film, I would still like to see the "Godzilla: Destroyer of Worlds" that was teased in this 2012 Comic-Con trailer, similar to the original Gojira film:

In the teaser trailer for that film, they removed the MUTOs from shots that they would appear in in the final film, it came as a bit of a surprise when they appeared and Godzilla fulfilled the "hero" role.

This is the movie we wanted to see

• Like 1

I felt like this was, in the overwhelming majority, the movie I've wanted to see since I was an 8 year old, and that's exactly how it made me feel. I've never been at a film where I've turned to the person sitting next to me with this exact facial expression on multiple occasions (it must have been upwards of 10).

giphy.gif

It was, to all intents and purposes, a Showa-era Godzilla film with a $200 million budget, clearly a love-letter to the classic films written by fans and I felt they treated the mythos of the franchise with incredible respect and dignity. I loved the characterisation of the monsters, it felt very true to their established personalities. Ghidorah was stunningly realised, they made him a really threatening and malevolent presence, his sheer size (both compared to the humans and the other monsters) made him so imposing. Godzilla himself was the star of the show, he was so expressive. I loved when he first burst through the ice in Antarctica and clapped eyes on Ghidorah, the look on his face of "Oh... It's you" radiated pure loathing. Rodan was the great fun cheeky pain in the arse he usually is and Mothra was beautifully done, gorgeously rendered and it was great to see her fight the way she did (she could have had a bit more screen time though). Hearing the classic musical motifs was so good as well... The scene where Godzilla surfaces and breathes fire into the sky while his classic theme plays was an absolute joy.

Part of me is saddened that the human story wasn't as 'respectable' as the one in Kong: Skull Island, as I have much more affection for Godzilla and I think he's the character deserving of a movie that can be appreciated by all. I certainly think it could have been quite easily 'tightened' up here and there and more than a few daft plot points. But there were some really good moments too. I think Dr. Serizawa (and of course Ken Watanabe) deserves a mention all to himself, he was the star of this film as much as any of the monsters, his scene with Godzilla in the underwater city had real gravitas for me. Gutted that critics by and large didn't 'get' it, but those same critics probably wouldn't 'get' many of the classic Godzilla films it was trying to be.

Not perfect, but my favourite film for a very, very long time.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 10:55 PM, Graeme said:

I felt like this was, in the overwhelming majority, the movie I've wanted to see since I was an 8 year old, and that's exactly how it made me feel. I've never been at a film where I've turned to the person sitting next to me with this exact facial expression on multiple occasions (it must have been upwards of 10).

giphy.gif

It was, to all intents and purposes, a Showa-era Godzilla film with a $200 million budget, clearly a love-letter to the classic films written by fans and I felt they treated the mythos of the franchise with incredible respect and dignity. I loved the characterisation of the monsters, it felt very true to their established personalities. Ghidorah was stunningly realised, they made him a really threatening and malevolent presence, his sheer size (both compared to the humans and the other monsters) made him so imposing. Godzilla himself was the star of the show, he was so expressive. I loved when he first burst through the ice in Antarctica and clapped eyes on Ghidorah, the look on his face of "Oh... It's you" radiated pure loathing. Rodan was the great fun cheeky pain in the arse he usually is and Mothra was beautifully done, gorgeously rendered and it was great to see her fight the way she did (she could have had a bit more screen time though). Hearing the classic musical motifs was so good as well... The scene where Godzilla surfaces and breathes fire into the sky while his classic theme plays was an absolute joy.

Part of me is saddened that the human story wasn't as 'respectable' as the one in Kong: Skull Island, as I have much more affection for Godzilla and I think he's the character deserving of a movie that can be appreciated by all. I certainly think it could have been quite easily 'tightened' up here and there and more than a few daft plot points. But there were some really good moments too. I think Dr. Serizawa (and of course Ken Watanabe) deserves a mention all to himself, he was the star of this film as much as any of the monsters, his scene with Godzilla in the underwater city had real gravitas for me. Gutted that critics by and large didn't 'get' it, but those same critics probably wouldn't 'get' many of the classic Godzilla films it was trying to be.

Not perfect, but my favourite film for a very, very long time.

Pretty much this.

I'm kinda shocked by the "hate" this film is getting. Is it perfect? No. But name me a BETTER Godzilla film other than perhaps the 1954 original (although if I'm honest I like this new one more). Could it be better? Yes. But I enjoyed the crap out of this movie. Best movie I've seen in a while (probably since Infinity War). MUCH better than Endgame imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 1:06 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

Pretty much this.

I'm kinda shocked by the "hate" this film is getting. Is it perfect? No. But name me a BETTER Godzilla film other than perhaps the 1954 original (although if I'm honest I like this new one more). Could it be better? Yes. But I enjoyed the crap out of this movie. Best movie I've seen in a while (probably since Infinity War). MUCH better than Endgame imo.

I could name lots but it's all personal preference. 

Just watched it with my son over the weekend.  Tons of action.  My best guess is that they listened to some people that complained that the previous film took too long to develop.  So for those that are complaining that this one doesn't have enough character/story development....that's probably the reason why.   Monster films are among the hardest films to direct/write...you are trying to make the film as exciting as possible and at the same time relatively believable.   It's a fine line between plot development/action etc. 

Anyway, I enjoyed it.  And it's cool to see that they already alluded to Kong.

7.5/10

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I finally saw this movie, and I thought it was terrible!  I rolled my eyes at lines or scenes 5 times after I actually started counting how many eye roll moments I experienced. Earlier in this thread, I was skeptical about the movie after the first trailer because it sounded like it was going to be a global warming lecture, and I am pleased to say it was NOT.  Sadly, the actual story just alternated between nonsensical and cringe.  For example the interaction early on with the Monarch team and Godzilla on that oil rig/Monarch base was completely nonsensical, and the very end of the scene with Godzilla looking into the eyes of the male protagonist was soooo cringe.  Godzilla dating Mothra or WTFever they were trying to say their special relationship was... was dumb as fuck.  I avoid the hell out of spoilers, so my only real hint that it wasn't that great was that it seemed to only be in the theaters for a pretty short time, I've since seen it was rated on average about a 6/10.  That seems about right for me.

While I thought the plot and story was remarkably dumb, I could forgiven all of that if the monster fights were more frequent and cooler.  Even when there were monster fights, they weren't that great.   I think one scene kind of summed up the entire movie for me:

Spoiler

When all the other titans converge on Godzilla at the very end, and we don't get an amazing fight, we watch them fucking curtsey... What. The. Fuck.

I am laughably triggered by how bad this movie was.  I made popcorn, used my home theater which I rarely turn on and was so excited to watch it.  I think it was less than 5 minutes in when I vocalized my thought of "Oh no." out loud in an empty room because something happened that was so hokey that I knew I was in for a bad ride.

I really hope this didn't end the possibility of a new King Kong Vs. Godzilla.   Hopefully with a different director and writer, though.

My 4 year old LOVES this movie. I have since seen it at least 100 times at this point (thanks to my son). Even though I am very much over this movie, lol, my initial feelings still stand. Those that dont "get it" or complain about it must have never seen a Showa era Godzilla movie I guess. :shrugs: If you have seen the old Showa films, than this movie makes more sense IMO. 

On 10/18/2019 at 7:20 PM, DeadSlash said:

I finally saw this movie, and I thought it was terrible!  I rolled my eyes at lines or scenes 5 times after I actually started counting how many eye roll moments I experienced. Earlier in this thread, I was skeptical about the movie after the first trailer because it sounded like it was going to be a global warming lecture, and I am pleased to say it was NOT.  Sadly, the actual story just alternated between nonsensical and cringe.  For example the interaction early on with the Monarch team and Godzilla on that oil rig/Monarch base was completely nonsensical, and the very end of the scene with Godzilla looking into the eyes of the male protagonist was soooo cringe.  Godzilla dating Mothra or WTFever they were trying to say their special relationship was... was dumb as fuck.  I avoid the hell out of spoilers, so my only real hint that it wasn't that great was that it seemed to only be in the theaters for a pretty short time, I've since seen it was rated on average about a 6/10.  That seems about right for me.

While I thought the plot and story was remarkably dumb, I could forgiven all of that if the monster fights were more frequent and cooler.  Even when there were monster fights, they weren't that great.   I think one scene kind of summed up the entire movie for me:

Hide contents

When all the other titans converge on Godzilla at the very end, and we don't get an amazing fight, we watch them fucking curtsey... What. The. Fuck.

I am laughably triggered by how bad this movie was.  I made popcorn, used my home theater which I rarely turn on and was so excited to watch it.  I think it was less than 5 minutes in when I vocalized my thought of "Oh no." out loud in an empty room because something happened that was so hokey that I knew I was in for a bad ride.

I really hope this didn't end the possibility of a new King Kong Vs. Godzilla.   Hopefully with a different director and writer, though.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. How does one become "laughably triggered"? 

A new King Kong v.s. Godzilla has already been filmed and is now in post production. It's release date is March 13th 2020.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, Chris 55 said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. How does one become "laughably triggered"? 

A new King Kong v.s. Godzilla has already been filmed and is now in post production. It's release date is March 13th 2020.

The movie was bad enough to trigger me.  It's laughable when people get triggered, more so when it's just over a movie.   It's laughable that I was triggered.