Hyperbole: Think about it like this...

DeadSlash

The use of hyperbole is really on the rise in the US media.  It's at the point where I don't like watching any news related programs, from EITHER side.  Hyperbole is becoming popular outside of the media also, but it's so counter-productive.  Think about it like this:

Let's say you are working in a store, and a lady comes up to you and says "Do you see that guy in the green shirt over there? He's acting really weird and looking around, I think I saw him shove something in his pants, I think he might be shoplifting."  You thank the person and they walk away, and now the guy in the green shirt walks over to you. "Be careful, that lady who was just talking to you is a known shoplifter."  Oh, shit! you think to yourself, that lady just tricked you into looking elsewhere while she shoplifted!  Then the man in the green shirt adds "She killed my 3 children and my wife.  She is a Russian spy and she is putting things in the water to make the frogs gay so she can rape children on the anniversary of 9/11."

Does hyperbole make you sound less or more credible?  Less is more, ffs.

PS. This rant has nothing to do with this forum.  No hidden message.

Edited by DeadSlash

I've been disgusted with the media for a while now.  They are trying to influence the way we think. They've broke the trust we had with them that they would report the news in a non bias way.  They've lost all credibility with me.  "We haven't verified this" but we're going to report it to you as if it's true.  They do it all the time.  And they will take a story and treat it like a public outcry, a call to action.  I'm just tuning in for the weather at this point.

4 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

The use of hyperbole is really on the rise in the US media.  It's at the point where I don't like watching any news related programs, from EITHER side.  Hyperbole is becoming popular outside of the media also, but it's so counter-productive.  Think about it like this:

Let's say you are working in a store, and a lady comes up to you and says "Do you see that guy in the green shirt over there? He's acting really weird and looking around, I think I saw him shove something in his pants, I think he might be shoplifting."  You thank the person and they walk away, and now the guy in the green shirt walks over to you. "Be careful, that lady who was just talking to you is a known shoplifter."  Oh, shit! you think to yourself, that lady just tricked you into looking elsewhere while she shoplifted!  Then the man in the green shirt adds "She killed my 3 children and my wife.  She is a Russian spy and she is putting things in the water to make the frogs gay so she can rape children on the anniversary of 9/11."

Does hyperbole make you sound less or more credible?  Less is more, ffs.

PS. This rant has nothing to do with this forum.  No hidden message.

Hyperbole isn’t about credibility, it’s more about making a point or emphasis I think. Maybe just for attention. Like Tabloid newspapers of the internet where people just escalate the insults to be heard.  

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

Hyperbole isn’t about credibility, it’s more about making a point or emphasis I think. Maybe just for attention. Like Tabloid newspapers of the internet where people just escalate the insults to be heard.  

You're right, but at some point the bubble is going to pop.  At some point it's going to have to escalate to where everything will be Alex Jones level and people are going to be like "What the fuck are we even talking about? That makes no sense!"

Sadly, I think the populace can be pushed REALLY far before they start asking questions.  Alex Jones has a big audience, and he quite literally talks about the government making frogs gay.  MSNBC had a woman on their panel who said that The President wants to round up and kill all Mexican people, like last week.    When Obama was President, people existed that said "Obama is a Muslim, and he wants to kill Americans." Those people were not  taken seriously and NOT featured on any of the big networks.  Talk about Trump wanting to exterminate/enslave/imprison_______ is a fairly mainstream idea.   Shows that some people laugh at, but are not completely dismissed, like "The View" say things like the President is a confirmed psychopath.  Things like this are so common that people don't even realize it's hyperbole.  Trump is an asshole, he's a jerk and he's even dumb sometimes, but he's not rounding people up in camps, he's not a psychopath, he's not unhinged.    If we were this out there just 8 years ago, there would be network, syndicated shows very casually informing people that "Barrack Obama is actually a Muslim cleric and he is going to make Americans convert."

It's growing exponentially.

13 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

You're right, but at some point the bubble is going to pop.  At some point it's going to have to escalate to where everything will be Alex Jones level and people are going to be like "What the fuck are we even talking about? That makes no sense!"

Sadly, I think the populace can be pushed REALLY far before they start asking questions.  Alex Jones has a big audience, and he quite literally talks about the government making frogs gay.  MSNBC had a woman on their panel who said that The President wants to round up and kill all Mexican people, like last week.    When Obama was President, people existed that said "Obama is a Muslim, and he wants to kill Americans." Those people were not  taken seriously and NOT featured on any of the big networks.  Talk about Trump wanting to exterminate/enslave/imprison_______ is a fairly mainstream idea.   Shows that some people laugh at, but are not completely dismissed, like "The View" say things like the President is a confirmed psychopath.  Things like this are so common that people don't even realize it's hyperbole.  Trump is an asshole, he's a jerk and he's even dumb sometimes, but he's not rounding people up in camps, he's not a psychopath, he's not unhinged.    If we were this out there just 8 years ago, there would be network, syndicated shows very casually informing people that "Barrack Obama is actually a Muslim cleric and he is going to make Americans convert."

It's growing exponentially.

Well yes, and it’s kind of relative. Alex Jones ramps his stuff because everything else is at a certain level. 

It’s more the out of context/baseless stuff that is the problem. But in reality it just becomes entertainment. That’s the only way to take Alex Jones or CNN. 

Do you get desensitized or are you more stimulated to do or say rash things? 

I completely agree with this in terms of the mainstream media.  In fact I've wondered why its taken so many so long to come to this conclusion.  But the problem here is, the so-called 'alternative media', and I'm not just talking about your Alex Joneses and Tommy Robinsons nutbags like that, I'm talking about the general thing of like, just any old yahoo with a camera and a mic somehow becoming an authority on...well, anything is kinda dangerous. 

The sad truth is the general public (and I'm including myself in this, lest I sound arrogant) are fuckin' thick.  A lot of what is in media etc is part of the education that helps form our opinions/understanding of the world around us etc and its dangerous that it be left in the hands of morons because this will give rise to generations of morons that will lead us all to waters as a species. 

This is why I think conventional education (and this is an increasingly unpopular opinion recently) is REALLY important.  Not necessarily to fuckin' follow blindly but I don't think a broadband connection is enough for the populus on the whole to get clued up off of. 

And its permeating all levels of media, even down to low level things like sports interviews where the conventional thing is replaced by some guy with a mic because hey we can curse etc etc and its 'more real' (because apparently thats all being real is, the ability to say fuck and shit) but what you end up with is a total lack of insight.  Professional journalists are professional journalists for a reason and journalist has become almost a dirty word in our culture.  Sure there are a great many snakes in there and always have been but their have always been a great many highly intelligent and worthwhile people in there.

But in the end the news is just a product.  Like soap powder or bottled water.  The news has a value and it has nothing to do with the 'worthiness' of 'x' current affairs happenstance and everything to do with money and if there's more money in some Kardashians boob job than the fact 12 people were executed without trial in Burma well you can bet your last fiver that the Kardashian will get the front page.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I completely agree with this in terms of the mainstream media.  In fact I've wondered why its taken so many so long to come to this conclusion.  But the problem here is, the so-called 'alternative media', and I'm not just talking about your Alex Joneses and Tommy Robinsons nutbags like that, I'm talking about the general thing of like, just any old yahoo with a camera and a mic somehow becoming an authority on...well, anything is kinda dangerous. 

The sad truth is the general public (and I'm including myself in this, lest I sound arrogant) are fuckin' thick.  A lot of what is in media etc is part of the education that helps form our opinions/understanding of the world around us etc and its dangerous that it be left in the hands of morons because this will give rise to generations of morons that will lead us all to waters as a species. 

This is why I think conventional education (and this is an increasingly unpopular opinion recently) is REALLY important.  Not necessarily to fuckin' follow blindly but I don't think a broadband connection is enough for the populus on the whole to get clued up off of. 

And its permeating all levels of media, even down to low level things like sports interviews where the conventional thing is replaced by some guy with a mic because hey we can curse etc etc and its 'more real' (because apparently thats all being real is, the ability to say fuck and shit) but what you end up with is a total lack of insight.  Professional journalists are professional journalists for a reason and journalist has become almost a dirty word in our culture.  Sure there are a great many snakes in there and always have been but their have always been a great many highly intelligent and worthwhile people in there.

But in the end the news is just a product.  Like soap powder or bottled water.  The news has a value and it has nothing to do with the 'worthiness' of 'x' current affairs happenstance and everything to do with money and if there's more money in some Kardashians boob job than the fact 12 people were executed without trial in Burma well you can bet your last fiver that the Kardashian will get the front page.

The flip side is we need the nutters so that we can tell the difference. 

The problem is the mainstream journalists are the ones not really doing an investigative work. It’s a career, they just want to go party at the WH. 

Alex Jones is doing some of the stuff they should be doing, but to do it he had to make it more like entertainment. 

But the mainstream media seem to want to grnerate hysteria or a constant state of hyperbole. 

The flip side is we need the nutters so that we can tell the difference. 

The nutters have always been there though.  And its a dangerous thing where they become sort of standard, thats what I'm talking about.

The problem is the mainstream journalists are the ones not really doing an investigative work. It’s a career, they just want to go party at the WH. 

This is definitely true and becoming increasingly more apparent.  Its kind of a shit-show all round.

57 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The nutters have always been there though.  And its a dangerous thing where they become sort of standard, thats what I'm talking about.

This is definitely true and becoming increasingly more apparent.  Its kind of a shit-show all round.

Alex Jones isn’t standard. I think he got shut down or banned off social media. But it can become your version of CNN, to be honest they are equally crazy. 

That’s the problem and I think that’s what THEY want. Everyone caught up in hysteria. 

14 minutes ago, wasted said:

Alex Jones isn’t standard. I think he got shut down or banned off social media. But it can become your version of CNN, to be honest they are equally crazy. 

That’s the problem and I think that’s what THEY want. Everyone caught up in hysteria. 

What I mean is his becoming like...commonplace, acceptable etc, instead of just a fuckin' idiot that everyone takes to be a fuckin' idiot. 

8 minutes ago, Angelica said:

What, like blatantly telling insane and disgusting lies? 😂

Lets be blunt here, the man talks absolute fuckin' bollocks.  I mean just complete shit, I could literally start rambling some sort of drunken street corner tramp stuff and it probably wouldn't be far off the shit he goes on about.  Admittedly I've never in depth listened to his shit but its just fuckin' plain stupidity and it blows my mind that anyone could see any value in it other than laughing at him. 

And its not like people like this have not previously existed in our culture and not had their 15 minutes in mainstream media, like...I dunno, whats the name of that lizard people dickhead?  That guy, he was on TV shows like Wogan and all that back in the day.  But the idea that like...to kids growing up youtube is like, an avenue of information and you have people like that on there and there's millions of people patronising it, sets a dangerous prescedent.  I'm not saying that he should be banned or not allowed a platform by any means, I just think its gonna contribute to making this planet a lot fuckin' thicker than it already is and we don't need that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Angelica said:

What, like blatantly telling insane and disgusting lies? 😂

Sometimes. But he’s digging into things. 

He used to more. Now he’s more Trumps boy? 

I don’t trust him, but he’s looking at Mueller, CIA, Hollywood pedophiles etc. 

This what mainstream media used to do. Now they are bought and sold. So is Jones though probably by some anti toxin yak milk. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Sometimes. But he’s digging into things. 

He used to more. Now he’s more Trumps boy? 

I don’t trust him, but he’s looking at Mueller, CIA, Hollywood pedophiles etc. 

This what mainstream media used to do. Now they are bought and sold. So is Jones though probably by some anti toxin yak milk. 

As someone who is in laws with a Sandy Hook first responder, fuck off. Sorry, I have no time for defenders of Jones or his fans or their defenders. Unequivocally go fuck your self. 

7 minutes ago, Angelica said:

As someone who is in laws with a Sandy Hook first responder, fuck off. Sorry, I have no time for defenders of Jones or his fans or their defenders. Unequivocally go fuck your self. 

Holy shit.  Would it be in poor taste of me to ask what they've said about it?  But yeah, that part of his shit is really fucked up, its one thing having a go at the white house or coming up with conspiracies about faceless organisations but that shit is really grim and heartless.  And the crazy bit about it is those people are like...newly dead (not that that should make a difference) and they still have any qualms comin' out with that shit. 

To me its all about money and self aggrandizement.  I mean, he surely can't believe the crap he peddles but like...who would he be if not for this shit?  Same with people like Tommy Robinson, its all about money and it has fuck all to do with morality or beliefs.

1 minute ago, Angelica said:

I don’t know who Sandy Hook is. But in general I don’t write anyone off based on one thing. To be right isn’t really his role. It’s to test out certain things. 

But that is part of the hyperbole, to want to see things in black and white, something as murky as the media seems difficult. 

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

I don’t know who Sandy Hook is. But in general I don’t write anyone off based on one thing. To be right isn’t really his role. It’s to test out certain things. 

But that is part of the hyperbole, to want to see things in black and white, something as murky as the media seems difficult. 

Sandy Hook was that primary school in America where that mad fucker went in and shot all them kids.  He was saying some kinda shit if i recall correctly about it all being fake and them being actors, something along those lines, don't quote me though it might not exactly be that.

Edited by Len Cnut

I only met him once, before it happened. When I visited the family in 2014, he’d had a full blown breakdown and was hospitalized. He’s been in and out since then, never the same since. 

My cousin in law and his wife have a son who was four when it happened. They had been planning to send him there when he started school because they lived five minutes away. 

Sandy Hook was the primary school in Connecticut where Adam Lanza murdered twenty grade schoolers in 2012. Jones has been harrassing the parents of the dead children for years, claiming that they’re actors and that the massacre never happened. Again fuck him, and fuck anyone who defends him, and fuck you for posting your contrarian horseshit without even bothering to research what you’re talking about.

Edited by Angelica
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

What I mean is his becoming like...commonplace, acceptable etc, instead of just a fuckin' idiot that everyone takes to be a fuckin' idiot. 

Lets be blunt here, the man talks absolute fuckin' bollocks.  I mean just complete shit, I could literally start rambling some sort of drunken street corner tramp stuff and it probably wouldn't be far off the shit he goes on about.  Admittedly I've never in depth listened to his shit but its just fuckin' plain stupidity and it blows my mind that anyone could see any value in it other than laughing at him. 

And its not like people like this have not previously existed in our culture and not had their 15 minutes in mainstream media, like...I dunno, whats the name of that lizard people dickhead?  That guy, he was on TV shows like Wogan and all that back in the day.  But the idea that like...to kids growing up youtube is like, an avenue of information and you have people like that on there and there's millions of people patronising it, sets a dangerous prescedent.  I'm not saying that he should be banned or not allowed a platform by any means, I just think its gonna contribute to making this planet a lot fuckin' thicker than it already is and we don't need that.

He’s kind of a maniac/idiot. But he also seems like a scapegoat. A distraction from what is really the problem. Both US parties agree on most stuff. When it comes to bombing Syria, McCain basically supported Trump. What the fight is about is who gets the spoils of war.  Jones makes them look sane. 

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Sandy Hook was that primary school in America where that mad fucker went in and shot all them kids.  He was saying some kinda shit if i recall correctly about it all being fake and them being actors, something along those lines, don't quote me though it might not exactly be that.

I think he said that about the Vegas shooter and Parkland shooter? 

In general with Parkland he was saying news networks swing into action and politicize it. Like that anti gun kid. 

But that’s his role because news networks are tailoring it. 

But he just goes off on rants and says crazy stuff about turning frogs gay. You can’t take him seriously but I could see how people get entertained and start to believe him. 

Edited by wasted

The US news media has had to contend with some pressures and changes over the years. All the while existing in the clutch of Imperial Hyper-Capitalism.

- The McCarthy era is a huge one obviously. Left a very changed mood and landscape in US journalism. It removed entire currents of journalism and lineages of practice.

- The disparity in education between journalists and the average US news consumer. During the Space Race this disparity really came to the fore. Some journalists were explaining rocket science leaving many viewers/readers confused or bored. This contributed heavily to the rise of Human Interest Stories. Interview the Astronauts parents instead.

- Vietnam War. The media coverage left a nation divided. The establishment would, moving forward, never allow such access to the realities of US style warfare. This produces things like the first Gulf War CNN incident where the reporters were caught faking to be on location in a battlefield. 

- Death of Print Journalism. As it ground to a halt good journalists were told to rush. They werent given budgets that would allow them to get the stories and corroborating statements, once a gold standard of journalism. And this paired perfectly with an increasingly secretive State and laissez-faire public. All parties quickly became acclimated to the phrase "an un named source..."

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, soon said:

The US news media has had to contend with some pressures and changes over the years. All the while existing in the clutch of Imperial Hyper-Capitalism.

- The McCarthy era is a huge one obviously. Left a very changed mood and landscape in US journalism. It removed entire currents of journalism and lineages of practice.

- The disparity in education between journalists and the average US news consumer. During the Space Race this disparity really came to the fore. Some journalists were explaining rocket science leaving many viewers/readers confused or bored. This contributed heavily to the rise of Human Interest Stories. Interview the Astronauts parents instead.

- Vietnam War. The media coverage left a nation divided. The establishment would, moving forward, never allow such access to the realities of US style warfare. This produces things like the first Gulf War CNN incident where the reporters were caught faking to be on location in a battlefield. 

- Death of Print Journalism. As it ground to a halt good journalists were told to rush. They werent given budgets that would allow them to get the stories and corroborating statements, once a gold standard of journalism. And this paired perfectly with an increasingly secretive State and laissez-faire public. All parties quickly became acclimated to the phrase "an un named source..."

Very pertinent points, particularly the parts about journalism.

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Whatever he is I think his right to speak is important, I don't agree with his being booted off platforms etc, to me that shit is dangerous.  So its something of a connundrum and I guess you just have to sit tight and have faith in the human race. 

In terms of lying do you put him in

the context of presidents lying us into war. Literally getting people killed. The whole media was involved in that and they are pretending to be innocent.