Jump to content
cc4rhu

Punk Interview with Duff and more

Recommended Posts

Wife has Alzheimer’s. Has been going through a lot of personal stuff, hence the weight gain. Regardless, still the fucking man. He created an image and a persona that continues to make millions today. Tricked the press to play along at his own game for over 40 years. John Lyndon is a genius and legend. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's so weird is that Johnny Rotten doesn't get the respect he derserves for spearheading not one but two music movements, Punk AND post-punk. Public Image Ltd. is unreal. Between the Pistols and PiL, nearly half of music as we know it owes itself to some degree to John Lydon.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Punk documentaries did a pretty good job of telling the story. There was still a lot missing but Wayne/Jayne County's left out of a lot of docs - Part 3 is pretty much the Decline of Western Civilization - Alice Bag, Keith Morris, Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins (and where Duff shows up and mentions how DOA was an influence on him, but they all get into how DOA literally built the hardcore punk club network cross country), and part 4 is Riot Grrl, Nirvana, Offspring, Epitaph Records, Warped Tour, up to present day. 

Somewhere in the middle of this I watched The Slits documentary and highly recommend it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

What's so weird is that Johnny Rotten doesn't get the respect he derserves for spearheading not one but two music movements, Punk AND post-punk. Public Image Ltd. is unreal. Between the Pistols and PiL, nearly half of music as we know it owes itself to some degree to John Lydon.

Amen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

What's so weird is that Johnny Rotten doesn't get the respect he derserves for spearheading not one but two music movements, Punk AND post-punk. Public Image Ltd. is unreal. Between the Pistols and PiL, nearly half of music as we know it owes itself to some degree to John Lydon.

This is an overstatement, I think. Punk (as a socio-musical movement), I'd say yes. But there were others that were going to a post-punk direction at the same time as him, and even before. And before that, there were those who influenced it (David Bowie, Brian Eno, krautrock bands, etc)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rottens a fuckin' legend and a top lad.  Yeah, like anybody else he'll talk a load of bollocks sometimes but quite frankly when you've done what he's done you've the right to.  Possibly the most original frontman that there ever was, never put a foot wrong artistically, made some of the most mind-blowing music I've ever heard.  Musics like one of the most important things in my life and, to me, Rotten was a REALLY REALLY REALLY important formative influence, he made me think, gave me certain ideas at a young age which was invaluable.  Important things about the very nature of music and what it is and ways to approach it that hadn't even occured to me.  Between The Sex Pistols and Public Image Limited he's about one of the most important people in the history of 20th Century popular music. 

His musics never gonna be for everyone, not everyone wants to listen to fuckin' abrasive noise experimentation stuff like PiL did but the scope of influence of that stuff is mindblowing, on post punk, on dance music and all sorts.  He's narky cunt as a person too so he's never gonna be everyones cup of tea but to me he's invaluable, he's one of the major musical signposts in my progression as a music listener that really made me think about things and really put ideas in my head that freed up music.  Him and John Lennon.  I think perhaps I'm a bit thick, I could never have listened to someone like David Bowie as a kid and caught on to subtle sort of ways of doing that shit, I need extreme ideas to sort of shock me into thinking, extremes idea like John and Yokos Two Virgins album or the harsh snotty coarse wailing and clashing sounds of a PiL album to make me think. 

And more than that, he did it is as a second generation immigrant kid with not a lot going for him, the sort of person that would be considered the underclass, the dregs of society, an ordinary lad that talks like an ordinary lad...but then doesn't in many ways, that speaks to me more than anything.  At the risk of sounding like fuckin' Oliver the unwanted orphan when you fuckin' grow up thinking you're just a fuckin' bottom of the barrel know-nothing shitbag thats never gonna amount to something...and then you see someone like John whoose from broadly similar circumstances, working class england, second generation immigrant, quite common in speech and behaviour, it sort of gives you this fuckin' thing where its like yeah, it can be done.  It shows you there's this other attitude to life you can have.  And be cool as fuck while you're at it.  Cuz like...you can go a few ways as a kid, some of them quite bad and little things like the John Rottens of the world play their little part, along with other things in life, that kinda steer you towards something else, something better, if only in the things you look for in life.

Yeah, Johns the fuckin' bollocks.  I don't agree with everything he says but I don't agree with everything anyone says and I don't care to, he made art cool to me, he put this idea in my head at a really really really young age that what counts is what you're thinking and through your own ideas you can pull things together and make something really valuable. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

The Punk documentaries did a pretty good job of telling the story. There was still a lot missing but Wayne/Jayne County's left out of a lot of docs - Part 3 is pretty much the Decline of Western Civilization - Alice Bag, Keith Morris, Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins (and where Duff shows up and mentions how DOA was an influence on him, but they all get into how DOA literally built the hardcore punk club network cross country), and part 4 is Riot Grrl, Nirvana, Offspring, Epitaph Records, Warped Tour, up to present day. 

Somewhere in the middle of this I watched The Slits documentary and highly recommend it. 

 

 

There's a Slits documentary?!  Shit, I been protelytizing for that band since my teenage years, I used to make CD copies of it and literally and it out to people to get em to listen.  Quite a few did too I'm pleased to say, God I love that band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's odd seeing people gushing and kissing Johnny's ass here - in the interview he wasn't acting the bad ass punk (whatever that's supposed to be now, anyway), more like some bumbling old fart who doesn't know when to shut up. One of the YT comments put it quite well, he's like the old drunk at the pub you try to avoid conversation with.

It was equal parts hilarious and cringe inducing watching the other interviewees reacting and trying to fit their answers in. Even the audience were groaning and heckling every time he opened his mouth.

He seemed genuinely unaware that the world doesn't revolve around him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

It's odd seeing people gushing and kissing Johnny's ass here - in the interview he wasn't acting the bad ass punk (whatever that's supposed to be now, anyway), more like some bumbling old fart who doesn't know when to shut up. One of the YT comments put it quite well, he's like the old drunk at the pub you try to avoid conversation with.

It was equal parts hilarious and cringe inducing watching the other interviewees reacting and trying to fit their answers in. Even the audience were groaning and heckling every time he opened his mouth.

He seemed genuinely unaware that the world doesn't revolve around him.

He's never known when to shut up.😄 But I believe the slack that is cut for him is deserved. Btw, sometimes that old drunk at the bar slurs out some interesting stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×