the MTV VMA 90 vid where Axl fired Adler

so I was reading "sweet child of mine" by deanna adler and she said she found out that Adler was fired from GNR by watching a live broadcast of MTV VMA 1990 and seeing Axl tell a journalist during a live interview that Adler was no longer in the band. I have combed youtube to find it but couldn't . Has anybody ever seen it or is it just a dramatic jibberish on her part?

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

She confused it with the MTV Famous Last Words interview. Maybe excerpts of that interview were shown before or during an MTV Awards show, but not the one of the same year (1990).

Seems correct. As I recall watching it. It was before the VMA awards.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 4:23 PM, 31illusions said:

Seems correct. As I recall watching it. It was before the VMA awards.

Yes, it came on right before the VMAs in 1990 and it was the first time the public was told Steven was fired. MTV News has stated a month or so before that he had quit the band.

1 hour ago, LunsJail said:

Yes, it came on right before the VMAs in 1990 and it was the first time the public was told Steven was fired. MTV News has stated a month or so before that he had quit the band.

Wow, I'm glad someone else remembers it that way I do. They said he quit. I remember seeing interview with Steven saying he was going to play with someone else like Michael Monroe? Later we find out he was fired.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

The Axl interview was on August 31, though, so it must have been first aired a few days before the VMAs, right?

5 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Wow, I'm glad someone else remembers it that way I do. They said he quit. I remember seeing interview with Steven saying he was going to play with someone else like Michael Monroe? Later we find out he was fired.

Yes, at first the rumour was that he had quit:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4141-1990-07-30-metal-hammer-adler-quits-guns

He was going to play with Andy McCoy of Hanoi Rocks.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The Axl interview was on August 31, though, so it must have been first aired a few days before the VMAs, right?

Yes and I just happened to rewatch that interview this past weekend and when it's said that Steven quit, axl very quickly says he was fired and didn't quit. He also mentions Steven being involved in things with his drugs that were very scary to axl. I'm assuming that's about Erin and the claim Steven gave her a speedball. I hadn't watched that interview in full in a while but it's an interesting insight into the axl in august 1990. 

14 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Yes and I just happened to rewatch that interview this past weekend and when it's said that Steven quit, axl very quickly says he was fired and didn't quit. He also mentions Steven being involved in things with his drugs that were very scary to axl. I'm assuming that's about Erin and the claim Steven gave her a speedball. I hadn't watched that interview in full in a while but it's an interesting insight into the axl in august 1990. 

Yes. When Steven said he was going to start a band with Andy McCoy (they were neighbours), he had been practically fired and GnR were already rehearsing with Matt, but they still kind of kept in touch with Steven and kept an eye on him. Then, not long after, the speedball incident with Erin happened, and Steven and Andy McCoy (and his wife, who was Izzy's ex-girlfriend) accused each other, so they didn't work together eventually. So Steven had already been fired before the Erin incident happened, but that probably completely shut the door on any chance for Steven to go back to GnR at some point (if he could sober up).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The Axl interview was aired right before the VMAs but it wasn’t presented as being a live interview.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Oh, I see. So maybe it was recorded August 31 but aired a few days later, before the VMAs.

Yes, it was recorded earlier. MTV had a tradition for awhile in the 90’s showing big name interviews before the VMAs. Smashing Pumpkins did one at the height of their popularity talking about firing their drummer for drugs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 4:03 AM, Blackstar said:

Yes. When Steven said he was going to start a band with Andy McCoy (they were neighbours), he had been practically fired and GnR were already rehearsing with Matt, but they still kind of kept in touch with Steven and kept an eye on him. Then, not long after, the speedball incident with Erin happened, and Steven and Andy McCoy (and his wife, who was Izzy's ex-girlfriend) accused each other, so they didn't work together eventually. So Steven had already been fired before the Erin incident happened, but that probably completely shut the door on any chance for Steven to go back to GnR at some point (if he could sober up).

In her own words, Angela McCoy dated Izzy for 3 years ('85-88). They started out by living in her parents' house and Izzy's "eccentric" behaviour spooked her father to no end. From there, they moved into a shared place with Axl, of all people, for 6 months, before finally getting their own apartment. She broke up with Izzy because "the money went into his head", while going from deadbeat to millionaire.

Angela hooked up with Andy at a Stones gig in '89 (possibly one of the four shows opened by Guns). Her habit had gradually developed during her years with Izzy, and would get worse with Andy in the times to come.

In a 2006 interview with the Metal Sludge website, Adler denied giving Everly drugs, claiming that he was jamming in his house with Hanoi Rocks guitarist Andy McCoy when McCoy’s wife turned up with an already intoxicated Everly: “I called the ambulance and saved her,” claimed Adler, “[and] this bitch [McCoy’s wife] tells Axl I gave her heroin. He calls me up and says he’s coming over with a shotgun to kill me…”

One addict blames the other about the one that OD'd...

• Like 3