Izzy in VR?

Estranged Coma

I read here there was a chance of izzy being in vr. He hung and played with them for awhile ect., but he wanted to sing or share singing duties? Is this true? And if it is how cool would that have been!

Also if izzy got on board with slash and the gang I feel like that would have put a lot more pressure on Axl to reunite. It would have basically been the old band vs Axl at that point. It ended up being slash vs Axl.

From memory this is what I recall:-

In Slashs bio, one of "The Project" (early VR) pics says "We may have been rehearsing a song called SNAFU" - this appeared on Izzys "Dog" album (recorded in 2003 but not released until 2005).

Duff confirmed that it's no coincidence that Izzys "Bomb" from Like A Dog sounds very similiar to VR's "Do It For The Kids".

It was Izzys idea to just hire a van and play some low key stuff, with him and Duff sharing vocals. Slash wanted a singer, and Izzy bailed around the time VH1 turned up to film the "finding a singer" process for TV.

I can't remember the dates, but Izzy/Slash/Duff recorded together in late 2001/early 2002 - see "Three Out Of Five Ain't Bad" article on MTV. I think this occured just before "The Project/VR" - and after Izzy bailed The Project he took his songs and recorded Like A Dog, whilst Duff/Slash went on to form VR. The drummer on the Izzy/Slash/Duff album was Izzys go-to drummer Taz Bentley who once mentioned it in an interview:-

Q: Before I ask about 76, did you ever play any shows with Izzy Stradlin?
Taz: Yeah, we toured Japan once. About once every year we go out and do an album. He doesn't believe in "the machine" at all. He hates the industry, so initially he licensed the albums overseas and wouldn't tell anyone in America. He's a really big fan of the Internet. Now we'll go record and he'll slap it up on iTunes. That's been a hoot. Duff's on most of them. There was a time when Slash, Izzy, Duff and I got together a few times and recorded some stuff. I think it was Duff who called it Four Wheels, No Axl. But none of that stuff ever got released. It's kind of fun to sit around, be a fly on the wall, playing the drums with these guys and say, "How did I get here?"

Edited by downliner
  • Like 2

From memory this is what I recall:-

In Slashs bio, one of "The Project" (early VR) pics says "We may have been rehearsing a song called SNAFU" - this appeared on Izzys "Dog" album (recorded in 2003 but not released until 2005).

Duff confirmed that it's no coincidence that Izzys "Bomb" from Like A Dog sounds very similiar to VR's "Do It For The Kids".

It was Izzys idea to just hire a van and play some low key stuff, with him and Duff sharing vocals. Slash wanted a singer, and Izzy bailed around the time VH1 turned up to film the "finding a singer" process for TV.

I can't remember the dates, but Izzy/Slash/Duff recorded together in late 2001/early 2002 - see "Three Out Of Five Ain't Bad" article on MTV. I think this occured just before "The Project/VR" - and after Izzy bailed The Project he took his songs and recorded Like A Dog, whilst Duff/Slash went on to form VR. The drummer on the Izzy/Slash/Duff album was Izzys go-to drummer Taz Bentley who once mentioned it in an interview:-

Q: Before I ask about 76, did you ever play any shows with Izzy Stradlin?

Taz: Yeah, we toured Japan once. About once every year we go out and do an album. He doesn't believe in "the machine" at all. He hates the industry, so initially he licensed the albums overseas and wouldn't tell anyone in America. He's a really big fan of the Internet. Now we'll go record and he'll slap it up on iTunes. That's been a hoot. Duff's on most of them. There was a time when Slash, Izzy, Duff and I got together a few times and recorded some stuff. I think it was Duff who called it Four Wheels, No Axl. But none of that stuff ever got released. It's kind of fun to sit around, be a fly on the wall, playing the drums with these guys and say, "How did I get here?"

Thanks for that!! Very interesting stuff. I woulda been about 10 in 2002 lolz. Sometimes I wish I was older to experience the late 80s 90s and early 2000s as an adult, then im like na id be old as shit now :P

Thanks for that!! Very interesting stuff. I woulda been about 10 in 2002 lolz. Sometimes I wish I was older to experience the late 80s 90s and early 2000s as an adult, then im like na id be old as shit now :P

I'm only 30 so not quite old as shit as you so delicately worded it, but I'm getting there :lol:

Edited by downliner
  • Like 2

Nothing of that recordings ever saw the light of day?

Nope. Fucking blows, right? :rofl-lol:

The only other time I know of that material being talked about is a Jan 2006 fan Q&A:-

6. Is there any chance that some unreleased projects (acoustic album, Slash/Duff album etc.) will

see the daylight some day?

Izzy: yes,i have a few ideas.....06/07 release of some cool stuff possible.

That was 8 years ago so I wouldn't get your hopes up ^_^

Daimn fuck. So we got stuff from '97,'01 and '03 recorded by Izzy, Slash and Duff. We heard some of that on VR and some on Izzy's albums but I think that was just the minority of songs they recorded and we didn't hear them in their originally version, which I assume spreads magic.

Edited by Free Bird

Remember they claim they have already recorded what would be the best GNR album...

who's they? VR? Honest question can you post a Link to what your talking ab
Not "they". It's just what Slash has written in his book. He said something like the songs they have written and recorded with Izzy in the early VR days could become easily the best GNR album. Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

I read here there was a chance of izzy being in vr. He hung and played with them for awhile ect., but he wanted to sing or share singing duties? Is this true? And if it is how cool would that have been!

Also if izzy got on board with slash and the gang I feel like that would have put a lot more pressure on Axl to reunite. It would have basically been the old band vs Axl at that point. It ended up being slash vs Axl.

They recorded 10 songs with izzy during the project I heard.

Yeah Izzy came out to do a few shows for VR, he was even in Paris and performed Used to love her with them, the thing I dont get is that why Izzy doesnt comes and does shows with Slash now? When he can do some shows with Axl, then y not Slash?

Yeah Izzy came out to do a few shows for VR, he was even in Paris and performed Used to love her with them, the thing I dont get is that why Izzy doesnt comes and does shows with Slash now? When he can do some shows with Axl, then y not Slash?

I doubt there is any specific reason besides it just hasn't happened yet... I would kill to see them do a whole show together though.

Maybe the money is better with Axl? I also think Axl and Izzy were always closer than Izzy and Slash because they knew each other from childhood in Lafayette.

I think Izzy just does what he likes when he likes, there's been a couple of occasions in '06 and maybe in '10 when Axl's said "Izzy was supposed to be here tonight".

Maybe the money is better with Axl? I also think Axl and Izzy were always closer than Izzy and Slash because they knew each other from childhood in Lafayette.

I think Izzy just does what he likes when he likes, there's been a couple of occasions in '06 and maybe in '10 when Axl's said "Izzy was supposed to be here tonight".

Yeah at the moment Axl and Izzy are on good terms, but there were times in the past when Axl and Izzy's friendship went sour many times, Izzy and Slash were always on good terms with each other, Yeah Izzy likes to do things whenever and wherever he wants, I guess Axl and Slash know that Izzy can bail on them anytime, Even Axl said that he will just do some songs here and there with Izzy, There r more chances of Axl working with Duff than Izzy

Im a big fan of Izzy, but he doesnt seems like a reliable person, but well I would love to see him to do a couple of shows with Slash also

Izzy and Slash were always on good terms with each other

To a certian extent, there were a couple of interviews after Izzy got kicked out where Slash said he preferred working with Gilby:

Slash, how do Gilby and Izzy differ, stylistically?

Even though the band always sounded cool, Izzy and I never sat down together and worked out guitar parts. We weren't really a team, in that sense. We would just jam, and he'd play things his way and I'd play things my way. And even though Gilby is essentially playing Izzy's parts, he adjusts them so there is more of a sense of unity - more of a sense that we are playing together. This isn't to put Izzy down in any way, it's just that Gilby and I have a different relationship.

He also says he didn't think Izzy was putting in the work he thought was needed to keep the band together in this interview: http://www.slashparadise.com/media/interviews-slash/smoking-gun-guitar-world-february-1992.pdf

Izzy and Slash were always on good terms with each other

To a certian extent, there were a couple of interviews after Izzy got kicked out where Slash said he preferred working with Gilby:

Slash, how do Gilby and Izzy differ, stylistically?

Even though the band always sounded cool, Izzy and I never sat down together and worked out guitar parts. We weren't really a team, in that sense. We would just jam, and he'd play things his way and I'd play things my way. And even though Gilby is essentially playing Izzy's parts, he adjusts them so there is more of a sense of unity - more of a sense that we are playing together. This isn't to put Izzy down in any way, it's just that Gilby and I have a different relationship.

He also says he didn't think Izzy was putting in the work he thought was needed to keep the band together in this interview: http://www.slashparadise.com/media/interviews-slash/smoking-gun-guitar-world-february-1992.pdf

Yeah ive seen this interview, but Slash and Izzy never had bad blood, when Izzy left in 1991, Axl talked crap about Izzy in some interview, then in 1994 or 95 when Izzy wanted to rejoin GNR he had gone to Axl's house and Axl was like in 1985 u did this and u did that, then I guess in 2000 or 2001 Izzy had gone to Axl's home but Axl dint invite Izzy to come in

But well whatever it was, I would like to see Izzy doing a couple of shows with Slash and Duff again