What's the best gig you've ever been to??

UseYourAppetite

I'll narrow it down to 2 shows.

1. Van Halen, June 1984, the 1st of 2 sold out shows, and my first concert. The band was huge and in their prime.

2. Guns n Roses(opening for Aerosmith) August 1988. I had seen Aerosmith 6 months earlier so the only reason

I went to this show was to see GnR, and they delivered big time. It was cool to see the original band in their

prime.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both GNR shows. The first one, purely because it was my first time seeing them, so all the built-up anticipation was finally released, and goddamn, what a feeling. It was even more amazing the second time. I've been to a lot of great shows before and after, but nothing will ever stack up to the feeling of seeing my idol up there on stage. God, I can't wait until they head back on tour again.

1. Van Halen, June 1984, the 1st of 2 sold out shows, and my first concert. The band was huge and in their prime.

2. Guns n Roses(opening for Aerosmith) August 1988. I had seen Aerosmith 6 months earlier so the only reason

I went to this show was to see GnR, and they delivered big time. It was cool to see the original band in their

prime.

Wasn't the show opening for Aerosmith used in the PC video?? Can't remember, my mind's gone a bit blank :lol:

I honestly can't pick one favorite, as they were all great for their own reasons. Here are my top shows though, in no order.

Axl's GN'R in 2006. Toronto Canada. Great fucking show. Axl sounded great.

Pantera in 2001. Hamilton Ontario Canada. The lineup was great. Morbid Angel, Skrape, Static X, Slayer, then Pantera. My first show, great night.

Down - October 22nd. Toronto Canada. These guys kick fucking ass. It was great to hear the new tunes live.

Damageplan - December 1st 2004. Toronto Canada. Great show. They played Pantera tunes, New Level, Becoming , and Walk. I met Dime and Vinnie for the second time that day. It was amazing.

prime.

Wasn't the show opening for Aerosmith used in the PC video?? Can't remember, my mind's gone a bit blank :lol:

No, this show was in St. Louis(3 years before the riot). But the time frame is correct. I think the St. Louis show

in 88 was around the same time as the New Jersey show, Donnington and the MTV show where Sam Kinison

introduced them.

Not in this order but

Heaven And Hell, Alice Cooper, and Queensryche

That's all I can remember.

Those 3 were all in one night?! Holy shit, that must have been AWESOME.

Yup, at Darien Lake.

The show was fucking amazing.

You were at Darien too? Great fucking show! I missed Queensryche for the most part (Only saw Welcome To The Machine and Eyes Of A Stranger), but it was still such a damn good show!

Theres a few, GNR, I cant believe no one put Aerosmith. They put on the BEST FUCKING SHOW. Smashing Pumpkins and Velvet Revolver and Poison and Ratt and Motley Crue, Well just about everyone i've seen.

As much as I love Aerosmith, they were the worst gig I've been to besides Bob Dylan. Motley Crue completely upstaged Aerosmith, something I didn't expect to happen cause I had heard that Motley Crue sucked live. I think Aerosmith just had an off night though, I'll give them another shot when they're in my area.

I've got a 4 way tie for best:

Rolling Stones in Hershey 10/1/05 - So much energy, amazing stage, huge crowd. Only stadium show I've been to as of yet.

Heaven And Hell/Alice Cooper in Darien Lake, NY 9/19/07 - second time I saw them in 2 weeks (Saw them opening night in Binghamton also). Even though I had a concussion, it was just really amazing. Both bands were on fire, more so than first time, but I missed Queensryche.

Van Halen in Toronto 10/12/07 - one of the few shows I never expected to see in my life. As far as I'm concerned, DLR era VH is the only VH, and they fucking delivered!

Iron Maiden in Toronto 10/16/06 - Best experience I've ever had at a concert. Skipped school to queue for the GA floor. Got right up against the barrier dead center, in front of Bruce Dickinson all fucking night! Also touched Dave Murray's headstock when he leaned out towards the crowd!

They put on a good show but they have a kinda shitty catalog, They should play Train Kept a Rollin, i dont wanna miss a thing, Back in the saddle, Janies got a gun, some other ones but hey they kick ass and i gotta give them credit they are pushing 60 and i swear no matter how many drugs they've done there in better shape than me. And besides me being a little big im in perfect condition. but im a little stupid. Axl Rocks when did you see Michael Jackson because i would maybe see him is he still good,my friends would pick on me but Michael truly is talented

Edited by GUNSNROSES513

Damageplan - December 1st 2004. Toronto Canada. Great show. They played Pantera tunes, New Level, Becoming , and Walk. I met Dime and Vinnie for the second time that day. It was amazing.

Wow, that was only about a week before his murder, right?

They should play Train Kept a Rollin, i dont wanna miss a thing, Back in the saddle, Janies got a gun,

No, they shouldn't. Ever. They shouldn't have made it in the first place.

but im a little stupid.

You're kidding!

Anthrax-Jan.21st, 2006. They rocked that shit up..played a perfect set. I was just getting into them at the time though. The second [and last] time they came around I was way more into them, but they just played Among The Living [the whole album] plus a few others. I like to be surprised by set lists. =[

Wow, that was only about a week before his murder, right?

Yea man, it was exactly one week before. It was a fucked up feeling for me to have.

Theres a few, GNR, I cant believe no one put Aerosmith. They put on the BEST FUCKING SHOW. Smashing Pumpkins and Velvet Revolver and Poison and Ratt and Motley Crue, Well just about everyone i've seen.

As much as I love Aerosmith, they were the worst gig I've been to besides Bob Dylan. Motley Crue completely upstaged Aerosmith, something I didn't expect to happen cause I had heard that Motley Crue sucked live. I think Aerosmith just had an off night though, I'll give them another shot when they're in my area.

I've got a 4 way tie for best:

Rolling Stones in Hershey 10/1/05 - So much energy, amazing stage, huge crowd. Only stadium show I've been to as of yet.

Heaven And Hell/Alice Cooper in Darien Lake, NY 9/19/07 - second time I saw them in 2 weeks (Saw them opening night in Binghamton also). Even though I had a concussion, it was just really amazing. Both bands were on fire, more so than first time, but I missed Queensryche.

Van Halen in Toronto 10/12/07 - one of the few shows I never expected to see in my life. As far as I'm concerned, DLR era VH is the only VH, and they fucking delivered!

Iron Maiden in Toronto 10/16/06 - Best experience I've ever had at a concert. Skipped school to queue for the GA floor. Got right up against the barrier dead center, in front of Bruce Dickinson all fucking night! Also touched Dave Murray's headstock when he leaned out towards the crowd!

They put on a good show but they have a kinda shitty catalog, They should play Train Kept a Rollin, i dont wanna miss a thing, Back in the saddle, Janies got a gun, some other ones but hey they kick ass and i gotta give them credit they are pushing 60 and i swear no matter how many drugs they've done there in better shape than me. And besides me being a little big im in perfect condition. but im a little stupid. Axl Rocks when did you see Michael Jackson because i would maybe see him is he still good,my friends would pick on me but Michael truly is talented

I saw him twice in 96, brilliant concert, the second time I saw him , I was right near the front, so being like 2-3 metres infront of the king of pop, was amazing.

Metallica May 4th 1999 in Caracas. It was amazing, Jason was still in the band he was great..Everytime i think about that concert i got chills..It was mind blowing! rock1

And the other would be, Dream Theater in Caracas also December 13th 2005. I had Petrucci in front of me for 3 hours ahh i was in heaven. :wub:

Rush - September 19th, 2007 (Toronto, Canada)

People can say what they want about the setlist (too much new material), but it was an incredible show. The band was in top form and didn't miss a note.

The Killers - May 7th, 2007 (Toronto, Canada)

They're probably the only "new" band that I like, and they put on a great show.

Guns N' Roses - November 15th, 2006 (Toronto, Canada)

It's almost been a year since this show, and I still remember how great it was. Axl sounded incredible and the band played great. I'd rank this higher but they didn't play Rocket Queen. :P

Rolling Stones - Valle Hovin, Oslo 2007.

The greatest gig, ever known to mankind. 40 000 people behind me, the band was playing perfect,

Mick sung perfec, everything was just perfect!

An amazing night, where I actually got to see the greatest legends of rock'n'roll love. 2 feets in front of me.

All their greatest tunes, I think I had a couple of tears coming when I heard the intro of Sympathy For The Devil.

Black Sabbath - Koengen, Bergen 2005

The true legends of heavy-metal.. with Ozzy. I don't think I need to say no more.

Judas Priest - Oslo Spektrum - 2005

The godfathers of heavy-metal. Rob, Glenn, K.K. etc.

Great to see them live. My favorite moments: Living After Midnight, You've Got Another Thing Coming, and of course "Electric Eye."

The Who - Quart Festival 2007

Even though John and Keith is gone, Roger and Pete is still there. And they're putting on a hell of a show!

Only thing doesn't make this night better than the Stones, is that Keith and John were missing. :(

Other great shows to mention: BigBang at Sentrum Scene December 2006. I've been to 7 BigBang gigs, and this one was by far the best gig

ever done by BigBang, which is Norway best liveband. You actually need to see bands like The Who, Stones or Sabbath to get a better live experience.

I saw some great gigs this summer at the Quart Festival, not only The Who, but bands like Datarock, Mew, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and The Roots.

The Roots was great musicians, and I really enjoyed watching them on stage.

My last Madrugada-gig was an incredible memory for me. It was the last time I got to see one of my favourite guitarist alive. He died earlier this year

by unknown reasons.

And I have to mention the Iggy & The Stooges gig I was on. Iggy still rocks!

G N' R - Werchter 1993

All 6 Metallica shows between 1997 and 2007 i went to

Slipknot - Antwerp 1999

Neil Young - Torhout 1996

Iron Maiden - Graspop,Dessel 2007

Soulfly - Graspop,Dessel 2006

Stone Sour - 013 Tilburg 2006

Stone sour - Biebob,Vosselaar 2007

U2 - Werchter Popmart tour 1997

Not in this order but

Heaven And Hell, Alice Cooper, and Queensryche

That's all I can remember.

Those 3 were all in one night?! Holy shit, that must have been AWESOME.

Yup, at Darien Lake.

The show was fucking amazing.

You were at Darien too? Great fucking show! I missed Queensryche for the most part (Only saw Welcome To The Machine and Eyes Of A Stranger), but it was still such a damn good show!

Yea, I was so disapointed when there chairs instead of a pit. I was still moshing out to the Sabbath tunes.

Show was fucking amazing. I can't pick who was better set Alice Or Heaven And Hell?

I thought Queensryche's vocalist sounded a helluva lot like Bruce from Maiden which didn't bother me since I love Maiden.

Yea, I was so disapointed when there chairs instead of a pit. I was still moshing out to the Sabbath tunes.

My personal feeling on this (maybe I have a stick up my butt, but I don't care) is that when I pay good money to see a show, I want to see the show, and not have a bunch of drunken, sometimes angry, slobs jumping all over me.

My personal feeling on this (maybe I have a stick up my butt, but I don't care) is that when I pay good money to see a show, I want to see the show, and not have a bunch of drunken, sometimes angry, slobs jumping all over me.

I'm with ya on that! I used to be into all that moshing shit like 10 years ago, but now with how much concert tickets are costing these days I want to actually SEE the show i paid good money for. I usually end up getting lower bowl seating at shows now, unless i know that the floor will have seating instead of GA.

I don't know what would be the best show I've ever seen. I know some of my favs were (in no particular order):

Kiss- reunion tour 1996 Peoria,IL

GnR- Chicago 2006

Heaven & Hell- Chicago 2007

Marilyn Manson, Danzig & Korn- Peoria,IL 1995

Buckcherry- Every one of their shows I've seen has been great,imo.

Ozzfest 1997- Tinley Park (Ozzy solo AND Black Sabbath, not to mention Type O, Pantera, Manson)

Velvet Revolver- The Pageant, St.Louis 2004

Def Leppard - Blossom Music Center 1988 (my first concert ever!)

Smashing Pumpkins- Champaign,IL 1996

Nine Inch Nails/ David Bowie- St.Louis 1995

Motley Crue- Peoria,IL 1997

Edited by tat2d1