Film Thread

ssiscool

Just finished watching The Life And Death of Peter Sellers

Dunno if he has any fans on here, i'm sure more than a few people have seen Dr Strangelove and The Pink Panther but to me he's just one of the best actors of all time. His ability to slip in and out of all these different characters is just something truly amazing. What i didnt know until watching this movie was what a total bastard the man was. Tragic in many ways but...lots of unforgivable stuff, violent to the women in his life, massively cruel and insensitive to his children and, by his own admission, totally devoid of any real sort of personality. Just the ability to play all these characters and adopt them and because them. A serious genius but also, in many ways, a tragic figure.

I love Sellers but I hate that film. Geoffrey Rush is hopelessly miscast as an attractive and funny performer, IMO. :(

Eternal Sunshine is divinity, one of the most gorgeous films of recent years. :heart:

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remembered in Gran Torino that Walt's barber had the same Victory or Death tattoo as Axl.

I found a list of every Horror re-make they're doing.

A Nightmare on Elm Street" (2010),

"Angel Heart" (2011),

"Anguish" (2009),

"Art of the Devil" (2010),

"At the End of the Spectra" (2010),

"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!" (2011),

"Battle Royale" (2012),

"The Birds" (2009),

"The Brood" (2009),

"The Burning" (2012),

"Candyman" (2011),

"Cat People" (2010),

"The Changeling" (2011),

"Child's Play" (2010),

"Children of the Corn" (2009),

"Communion" (2011),

"The Crazies" (2010),

"Cruising" (2011),

"Creature from the Black Lagoon" (2012),

"Dead Daughters" (2009),

"Death Line" (2012),

"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" (2010),

"Don't Look in the Basement!" (2009),

"Don't Look Now" (2009),

"Don't Look Up" (2009),

"The Echo" (2009),

"The Entity" (2010),

"The Evil Dead" (2011),

"Faces of Death" (2010),

"Friday 13th" (2009)

"Hell Night" (2011),

"Halloween 2" (2010),

"Happy Birthday to Me" (2012),

"Hellraiser" (2010),

"I Saw What You Did" (2012),

"Humongous" (2012),

"I Spit on Your Grave" (2011),

"In the Playground" (2009),

"I Walked with a Zombie" (2009),

"Infection" (2009),

"Isle of the Dead" (2009),

"It's Alive" (2009),

"The Last House on the Left" (2009),

"Just Before Dawn" (2011),

"Let the Right One In" (2009),

"The Leopard Man" (2010),

"Long Weekend" (2009),

"Motel Hell" (2012),

"Martin" (2010),

"My Bloody Valentine 3-D" (2009),

"Mother's Day" (2010),

"Night of the Demons" (2009),

"Night of the Living Dorks" (2011),

"Piranha 3-D" (2009),

"Plan 9" (2009),

"Poltergeist" (2012),

"Silent Night, Deadly Night" (2010),

"Sorority Row" (2009),

"The Stepfather" (2009),

"The Seventh Victim" (2011),

"Suspiria" (2010),

"The Thing" (2012),

"The Tingler" (2009),

"The Uninvited" (2009),

"Vargtimmen" (2010),

"Versus" (2010),

"The Witches" (2010),

"The Wolf Man" (2009),

"Yeux sans visage, Les" (2010),

"Zero Dark Thirty" (2010)

Expect Child's Play is a prequel and Evil Dead is more of a sequel.

Edited by Spuffy78

Gran Torino was routine Eastwood surrounded by some of the worst acting I've seen in my life (not helped by some truly awful dialogue).

Honestly, I can see how the surface sentimentality might appeal to some, but imo this formula worked infinitely better in Million Dollar Baby. Even the career build-up to the poetic ending can't save the film when you consider everything that's appalling about it. I won't even get into it, I just wanna forget.

I cannot understand the reverence held for this movie. The actor who played Thao was at times endearing, but mostly atrocious. His dialogue and stilted, hammy delivery missed the mark almost every time. Near the end, there's one scene where Eastwood's character locks him in the basement and he furiously bangs on the door, pleading to be released.. my god, I'm not sure how anyone on set got through it without laughing. It's entirely Clint's fault too, as he's notorious for printing the first take and moving on. He really should have worked more with the younger cast to give them the capacity to internalize the emotional undertone of particular lines within each scene, etc.

I think the broad appeal lies more in this being Eastwood's most Dirty Harry-esque character in years..

-Kickingthehabit

I agree with alot of what you're saying. I'm not sure how some of those asian "actors" got into this movie and how nobody noticed how amateurish they were. It was really off putting at times. Although, I still gotta say the movie works as a whole. Seriously flawed, but it slightly overcame that for me personally. Clint was awesome and I saw it in a packed theatre and the thing got big laughs and it seemed like a lot of people liked it from convos I heard walking out.

Oh and that barbershop scene was great!

Just remembered in Gran Torino that Walt's barber had the same Victory or Death tattoo as Axl.

"The Birds" (2009),

"Long Weekend" (2009)

No...no...no...NO. No! Godamn it. I Walked with a Zombie isn't even really a horror movie and they're going to fuck The Leopard Man and Long Weekend up so bad. :( And most people have never seen the originals.

They're remaking A Nightmare On Elm Street? hooray for tolerance&#33;s... <_<

Eh, I don't care. We'll see Robert do Freddy one more time in FVJ2.

CGI would also be cool with the dream sequences.

Either way it least Craven ended it properly with New Nightmare.

"The Birds" (2009),

"Long Weekend" (2009)

No...no...no...NO. No! Godamn it. I Walked with a Zombie isn't even really a horror movie and they're going to fuck The Leopard Man and Long Weekend up so bad. :( And most people have never seen the originals.

My main concern is Birds. Also do we really need a Surspria re-make? We got the English dub... I've seen all 4 you listed expect I walked with a zombie.

My main concern is Birds. Also do we really need a Surspria re-make? We got the English dub... I've seen all 4 you listed expect I walked with a zombie.

You've seen Long Weekend? :o I only saw it a few months ago when I went on an Australian genre movie binge after seeing the indescribably delightful Not Quite Hollywood. It's a documentary about Australian B-movies of the 70s and 80s. I spent weeks tracking things down - Turkey Shoot, Patrick, Harlequin, Mad Dog Morgan, Road Games..., all wonderful in their own cheap and peverse ways. :heart:

Yup. I heard about it on a Horror forum and got a copy from Amazon when it came out on DVD in 05 I think.

Hollywood doesn't care they're re-making a Japanese film called Oldboy. So help me if Speilberg and Smith go near that... I don't give a shit if they do re-makes it's who involved that pisses me off.

My favorite Horror documentary is Going To Pieces.

Yup. I heard about it on a Horror forum and got a copy from Amazon when it came out on DVD in 05 I think.

Hollywood doesn't care they're re-making a Japanese film called Oldboy. So help me if Speilberg and Smith go near that... I don't give a shit if they do re-makes it's who involved that pisses me off.

I loved Going To Pieces too, but I'd already seen 99% of the films covered. I cannot recommend Not Quite Hollywood highly enough, especially to a fellow gore aficianado. :heart:

I loved Going To Pieces too, but I'd already seen 99% of the films covered. I cannot recommend Not Quite Hollywood highly enough, especially to a fellow gore aficianado. :heart:

I'll probably order it if I can't find it in the foreign section at Starstruck.

I watched Slumber Party Massacre and watching Airplane now.

Ironically a female and a feminist directed SPM :lol:

Aww...Airplane! :rofl-lol:

Awesome film!

Watching Clerks atm :D

Edited by Tottenham Hotspur

"Roger that"

"Huh"

:rofl-lol:

"Roger that"

"Huh"

:rofl-lol:

"What kind of plane is it?"

"Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol."

*SPOILER* (like anyones gonna fuckin watch it :lol:)

Rewatched Naked Lunch.

From what i can gather, the movie seems to attempt to present the storyline of Naked Lunch as hallucinations of Burroughses from him time in Tangiers spent in the grip of heroin (and a host of other drugs) addiction and in search of "yage" whilst splicing parts of his life into it. An interesting movie i think. Doesnt quite do the book justice but i think thats an impossible endeavour anyway, the book is completely untransferable into a linear mainstream narrative but then the movie doesn't try to re-create the book on screen, its just a based on. Naked Lunch is probably my most favorite book of all time and where i dont think its possible to ever really make a movie of it, it just wouldnt/couldnt work, i quite like this movie...i find it quite entertained, not least because all that precedes is just my interpretation, theres switches in there that i can't account for. Like him killing his wife in the William Tell act again in the end like in the beggining.

It might not even be that good of a movie actually, its just Naked Lunch is one of my top three favorite books....well, Soft Machine, Ticket That Exploded and Nova Express you could easily lump in there too, they seem married in some way...i think i just enjoy seeing it realised on screen.

Edited by dirtylenny