Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Farrell is limited...this is the first time he's been good in anything, to my recollection.

Sorry, I thought his acting in Phone Booth was superb. I remember when that film came out and everyone made such a fuss and I was like "it's probably overrated crap" but I actually watched it for the first time about 6 months ago and I thought Farrell was BRILLIANT in it.

Has anyone ever watched the film "Begotten" ?

actually yeah, kevdo reccomended it. Thanks Kev

Just watched Waltz With Bashir

Its hard for me...having just finished watching it, to make asthetic assessments of something that i find so...effecting. On a purely human level. Thanks Angelica. Really mean that, thank you. I kinda...review shit mentally almost whilst im taking it in, the best comment on war since Apocalypse Now came to mind. I was not fucking ready for that ending, really wasnt...i have to wonder how human i am for not crying..

Whilst watching it, not being so big on animation, the whole time i was thinking, my God this would be beautiful as a proper movie (proper movie, ass..) Going through directors in my head maybe who could pull it off. But that horses scene, that girls head in the rubble bit sealed the deal. Its so visually striking, its pretty much perfect.

Thank you again Angelica.

Edited by dirtylenny

Has anyone ever watched the film "Begotten" ?

actually yeah, kevdo reccomended it. Thanks Kev

I can't whether thats a good or bad thing :lol:

A good thing, i liked it. I remember you describing it pretty clearly. "The movie opens with God disemboweling himself. After that is anyones guess"

Now how could i not watch it after that? :rofl-lol:

Edited by dirtylenny

Of course Farrell is limited...this is the first time he's been good in anything, to my recollection.

Sorry, I thought his acting in Phone Booth was superb. I remember when that film came out and everyone made such a fuss and I was like "it's probably overrated crap" but I actually watched it for the first time about 6 months ago and I thought Farrell was BRILLIANT in it.

Don't take this the wrong way! Because the pleasure one gets from a movie or song is so subjective.

But just my own opinion . . . . I was psyched to see Phone Booth . . . and I actually sort of liked Farrell . . . . but I thought his performance was terrible. Laughable at times. I thought it was one of the worst performances of the year. (From a known actor in a major film).

Its hard for me...having just finished watching it, to make asthetic assessments of something that i find so...effecting. On a purely human level. Thanks Angelica. Really mean that, thank you. I kinda...review shit mentally almost whilst im taking it in, the best comment on war since Apocalypse Now came to mind. I was not fucking ready for that ending, really wasnt...i have to wonder how human i am for not crying..

Whilst watching it, not being so big on animation, the whole time i was thinking, my God this would be beautiful as a proper movie (proper movie, ass..) Going through directors in my head maybe who could pull it off. But that horses scene, that girls head in the rubble bit sealed the deal. Its so visually striking, its pretty much perfect.

Thank you again Angelica.

Ha! I knew you'd respond to it. But I won't gloat as I suspect I'm about to annoy you enough by stating my honest and considered opinion that Gran Torino is fucking awful. Laughably bad and painfully obvious. The intentionally funny stuff is lame, the melodrama is frequently hilarious and the acting is excruciating. Eastwood's scenery chewing is embarassing and those kids are so amateurish and inept, I doubt they could get a gig on Gossip Girl. :no:

Edited by Angelica

Just got done watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I really enjoyed it. It was slow in the beginning but picked up and as someone else said in this thread, it almost seems like another Forrest Gump type of movie. It might end up in my DVD collection someday. :shrugs:

Tomorrow night is time for Gran Torino. rock4

Just got done watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I really enjoyed it. It was slow in the beginning but picked up and as someone else said in this thread, it almost seems like another Forrest Gump type of movie. It might end up in my DVD collection someday. :shrugs:

Tomorrow night is time for Gran Torino. rock4

I havent seen Gran Torino yet but I Benjamin Button was amazing. Cate Blanchett and Pitt were both awesome. I feel like it wouldnt have been as good without Fincher. The Wrestler was great too. Should be a pretty tight Oscar Race

I also just saw Gus Van Sant's paranoid park. Stylistically it somewhat resembles Elephant, Last Days and Gerry but not quite the same. Id reccomend it for other Van Sant fans

Watching this tonight. Can't wait. I know i'll find something at least interesting in some way when Frank enjoys it so much he has to pause halfway through a sentence and ends up saying something completely different for the second half of it.

Dead Poets Society is a good film, it's an intruiging film; plus Robin Williams isn't manic at all...just wonderful

i got that film for christmas, havent watched it though

Watch.It.NOW! It's great! Or at least I love it. It's one of my favorite movies ever. :heart:

How do you guys feel about musicals? Normally I don't like them, but I loved Sweeney Todd. I want to see Rent too. I like Jesse Martin.

i bought that a few months ago, not knowing it was a musical..silly me, i cant deal with musicals...so i turned it off 20 minutes in...i will give itago one day though

How do you guys feel about musicals? Normally I don't like them, but I loved Sweeney Todd. I want to see Rent too. I like Jesse Martin.

i bought that a few months ago, not knowing it was a musical..silly me, i cant deal with musicals...so i turned it off 20 minutes in...i will give itago one day though

:lol: Same here. I hate them. Haven't watched Sweeney Todd though.

Loved Sweeney Todd, hated Rent. Jesse Martin is extremely pleasant to look at and Rosario Dawson is amazing, but aside from that I thought it was awful. Generally, I quite like musicals. Although I hate the 'juke-box' trend where some poor hapless writer is forced to weave a story around the songs of a particular group, ie Across the Universe and the dreaded Mama Mia. *shudders* I did adore Moulin Rouge though, which was basically the same deal. My all time favorite is Cabaret, which I've been informed says a lot about my personality. <_< Of the recent(ish) ones, aside from ST I was also partial to Chicago, Team America: World Police and Hairspray.