Film Thread

ssiscool

I've been getting back into the routine of watching as many films as possible lately, i watched the Butterfly Effect and i thought it was very good and last night i saw the Friday 13th remake. It was the first time i've seen a horror at a cinema, parts made me jump and spill my beverage on a friend.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the first time i've seen a horror at a cinema, parts made me jump and spill my beverage on a friend.

Is that what the kids are calling movie-theatre handjobs these days?

Rewatched:

A Child Is Waiting

Gloria

Both John Cassavetes movies, very very good. It would've been interesting to see what "creative differences" caused Stanley Kramer to fire John as director at the editing stage of A Child Is Waiting. By Cassavetes own admission it had something to do with Stanley Kramers view that retarded children (thats what the movies about) should not live in regular society and be hidden away from the world in institutions where they can be around their own. Mr. Cassavetes thought different.

Just watched "American Gangster". Didn't do that much for me, but it was okay.

I felt the same way. Decent enough, but nothing different.

Ridley Scott has been boring me for a while. I really liked Matchstick Men, but then things like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven are pretty much piles of crap.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I've seen Wyatt Earp. Liked it. I must say that I really like those good Cowboys and Indians-films.

Would any of you mind giving me some tip on great "Old West" films?

Edit: Post number 9,000!

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I've seen Wyatt Earp. Liked it. I must say that I really like those good Cowboys and Indians-films.

Would any of you mind giving me some tip on great "Old West" films?

If you haven't already, watch The Man With No Name trilogy - A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - those are essential to anyone who enjoys Western, or anyone that appreciates film in general. Once Upon a Time in the West is also terrific.

Recently watched/re-watched:

Punch Drunk Love - 7/10

Spartacus - 9/10

Full Metal Jacket - 10/10

The Promotion - 5/10

The Wrestler - 9/10

Soldier Blue - 7/10

Sideways - 8/10

The Fountain - 8/10

And I bought these yesterday:

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (finally :lol: )

Magnolia

The Third Man

Malcolm X

Empire of the Sun

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Thank you. I haven't watched any of them. I never watch films that are that old, because I really don't like when the quality of the video is shit. Well, I've started to download them all.

Are there any other good ones that are newer than the 60's?

Good. ;) I insist you buy them on DVD, though, it's a much more pleasant experience to watch them on a TV rather than a computer screen. And they're well worth the money.

As for newer westerns, I can recommend The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford - it's not really a western in the traditional sense, but I suppose you can add it to that genre anyway. The remake of 3:10 to Yuma is also quite good (although not as good as the original). Appaloosa is also very good for a modern western.

^ Don't you mean a few hits from the bong?

Just watched "American Gangster". Didn't do that much for me, but it was okay.

It only works for me when Crowe is onscreen. His character and performance are more interesting than every other aspect of the film combined.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (finally :lol: )

Magnolia

The Third Man

Malcolm X

Empire of the Sun

All great, well done. :heart:

Thank you. I haven't watched any of them. I never watch films that are that old, because I really don't like when the quality of the video is shit. Well, I've started to download them all.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Dead Man, El Topo, The Proposition, Unforgiven, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Little Big Man, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada and the amazingly amazing TV series Deadwood.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
Good. ;) I insist you buy them on DVD, though, it's a much more pleasant experience to watch them on a TV rather than a computer screen. And they're well worth the money.

As for newer westerns, I can recommend The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford - it's not really a western in the traditional sense, but I suppose you can add it to that genre anyway. The remake of 3:10 to Yuma is also quite good (although not as good as the original). Appaloosa is also very good for a modern western.

I only buy films I know I like. I always download them first.

Oh well, thank you for all recommendations, both of you! I'll download many of them.

Watched Gayhooray for tolerance!s from Outer Space, predictably due to its title. Satire has never before been so well suited to giggly 13 year old boys. :laugh:

Better leave a note on Lenny's profile, to be sure he doesn't miss it. :heart::rofl-lol:

Not a lot and even less from the 90s onwards and the reason for that is that those kindsa men dont exist anymore. Men like John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Randolph Scott dont exist any more and the ones that do dont choose acting as a proffession for some reason.

Better leave a note on Lenny's profile, to be sure he doesn't miss it.

awww babbyyyy...i love you tooooo :P

Edited by dirtylenny

Watched Gayhooray for tolerance!s from Outer Space, predictably due to its title. Satire has never before been so well suited to giggly 13 year old boys. :laugh:

Nice little play an on Ed Wood title there.

Is that a real movie? Is it good? I've got to believe anyone who likes Ed Wood enough to name a film that has to be a half decent director.

Is that a real movie? Is it good? I've got to believe anyone who likes Ed Wood enough to name a film that has to be a half decent director.

I'm not sure but i dont think Plan 9 was the first movie to use the words "from outer space" in the title nor was it the last.

I'm not sure but i dont think Plan 9 was the first movie to use the words "from outer space" in the title nor was it the last.

True, but the working titles were

gravediggers (gayhooray for tolerance!s?) from outer space and

grave robbers from outer space