Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penn's performance was very good but I don't know how you can dismiss The Wrestler or Rourke so casually.

Also, maybe I missed the flow of the conversation, but Spuffy mentioned something about The Zodiac being a piece of shit and mentioned Fincher -- but that's not the one Fincher directed. It was indeed a straight-to-DVD flick made to cash in on the release of Fincher's. The Fincher Zodiac was one of my favourite films of '07, extremely underrated.

I'm not dismissing either the film or performance, but I do feel they are both being overrated. The film is good, the performance is very good, but there were a bunch of films that can be said of which aren't getting their dues. And yes, that happens every year but for some reason I'm finding it especially annoying this time. To be clear, The Wrestler is nowhere near the top of my list when it comes to that.

Spuffy knows which Zodiac Fincher directed. I agree it was underrated and and one of the strongest films of an incredibly strong year.

Watched Rachel Getting Married. Very good acting by Anne Hathaway. Oscar nomination was probably deserved. Only seen her in one other movie (Brokeback Mountain) and she was good there too. Unlike Scarlett Johansson, I think she's destined to perform even more great roles in the future. Has a lot of talent.

The rest of the cast was also quite good. Unfortunately, the director filled his movie with useless scenes that just dragged on and on, reducing the overall quality of the movie.

Watched Godzilla vs. King Kong today, most entertaining film I've seen in a long while. Technically it should be an easy fight, Godzilla stands on Kong or sets him on fire... but no, they had to make Kong bigger and give him electric superpowers. :rolleyes:

I love how they cop out in the film after mentioning KK has these powers, someone asks "and how did he get these powers?" the scientists are like "we cannot explain this" :rofl-lol:. It's like the plot writers couldn't actually be arsed to think of a reason other than that Kong needed to be a worthy foe.

Also, for these few seconds of pure comedy, the film gets top marks.

Milk. Good movie. Terrific performance by Sean Penn (still prefer Rourke, but if Penn wins it at least it won't be a travesty). Also good acting by the supporting cast, namely Josh Brolin.

Only downside is that it focused a bit too much on the political issues. Some of those scenes got tiring to watch, especially when the movie reached the one-hour mark.