Film Thread

ssiscool

I think it's all his 50s jive. It's not always overt but it comes through. All that "Dangerous moll sucides in spook pad" thing. It's really hard to get through that to the plot. All that tabloid vibe.

I read one about JFK and Marylin Monroe but it was all so convoluted. It was called something like Thousand Yard Stare. It was pretty epic. Semi fictional. Jimmy Hoffa was there but the focus is always shifted.

Black Dahlia was sort of over theatrical for the book - but it might been to brutal to just do it straight.

Elmore Leonard is another one I can't read - but I'm trying Hot Kid now. lol sucker for punishment...

Paulo Coelho to me is the best writer out there I've read recently - just flows off the page and has meaning and emotional impact with such simple - it's like too good.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA Confidential is pretty hard to follow. James Ellroy is amazing writer.

You're sure right about it being hard to follow, Ellroy makes me read his sentences over and over beofre I've got the picture.

To be honest though, the film version of LA Confidential trumphs the book. One of the few instances where once all the exposition was put aside, the true story shined through.

Agreed. Every time I watch it I become more convinced that it's the best American film of the 90s. Or at least high on the list.

Got these in the mail yesterday:

28 Days Later

28 Weeks Later

Vertigo

Rear Window

Soldier Blue

Trainspotting

And during my vacation, I've seen these:

Grace is Gone

Ferris Bueler's Day Off

Wild Hogs

Stop-Loss

One Last Call

Drillbit Taylor

Jumper

And that new Jet Li/Jackie Chan film with the extremely cliché name that I can't remember

Edited by Lithium

Woody Allen's manager and co-producer Charles Joffe has died. He was 78.

Joffe passed away Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on Wednesday, following a long illness.

He had helped shape the careers of many high profile comedians including Robin Williams, Billy Crystal and Lenny Bruce, and signed Allen to his New York-based agency when the funnyman was an unknown writer.

With Joffe's help, Allen negotiated his first movie deal for 1965's What's New Pussycat - writing and starring in the film.

And in 1969 Joffe began to produce Allen's films, working alongside the Hollywood legend right up until his most recent release - this year's Vicky Cristina Barcelona starring Penelope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson.

Joffe is survived by his wife, Carol.

:(

Has anyone seen, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?

...I don't even know what to say abou this movie.

It left me speechless.......

If you haven't seen it and you want to expand (fuck-up) your mind; It is own youtube.