Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James McAvoy puts forward one of the performances ever in Atonement easily. It's basically impossible not to be taken in by the tragedy of it all. How he didn't win an Oscar for it is beyond me...

Probably because massive fans of the Robbie character in his original incarnation would go berserk if he had. :tongue2: I don't frequently care about these things, but that film actually angers me to a degree. Scratch that; this film angers me, period. It's not badly made on any technical level, yet it feels completely hollow compared to the novel, and it's just a travesty how now people will think they have no need to read the latter after having chosen to see the story on film. We've had this debate before, and I can understand why you might love the story just by seeing its potential as shown on celluloid, without being aware of just how much more magical it can get on paper, but I still wanted to publicly reinstate my disapproval. I can't help loathing this film the more people praise it for being such a wonderful adaptation. Well, yes, if by adaptation they mean taking a great book and butchering it only halfway, so we're still left with a relatively good story. Some accomplishment.

James McAvoy puts forward one of the performances ever in Atonement easily. It's basically impossible not to be taken in by the tragedy of it all. How he didn't win an Oscar for it is beyond me...

Probably because massive fans of the Robbie character in his original incarnation would go berserk if he had. :tongue2: I don't frequently care about these things, but that film actually angers me to a degree. Scratch that; this film angers me, period. It's not badly made on any technical level, yet it feels completely hollow compared to the novel, and it's just a travesty how now people will think they have no need to read the latter after having chosen to see the story on film. We've had this debate before, and I can understand why you might love the story just by seeing its potential as shown on celluloid, without being aware of just how much more magical it can get on paper, but I still wanted to publicly reinstate my disapproval. I can't help loathing this film the more people praise it for being such a wonderful adaptation. Well, yes, if by adaptation they mean taking a great book and butchering it only halfway, so we're still left with a relatively good story. Some accomplishment.

So you're saying Atonement is a really good novel? I've been thinking about picking up some books, maybe I'll finally pick up a romance novel.

So you're saying Atonement is a really good novel? I've been thinking about picking up some books, maybe I'll finally pick up a romance novel.

Anything by Ian McEwan tends to be a pretty glorious read. :heart:

Anything by Ian McEwan tends to be a pretty glorious read. :heart:

I think I'm gonna have to take your word on it and check it out.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

[/Lithium-Chris Axl]

You deserved that.

I didn't bother to read all the useless information above this post, so I'm just going to skip to saying: wat?

He was just copying your overtly sarcastic laugh, nothing to get all worked up about :tongue2:.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

[/Lithium-Chris Axl]

You deserved that.

I didn't bother to read all the useless information above this post, so I'm just going to skip to saying: wat?

He was just copying your overtly sarcastic laugh, nothing to get all worked up about :tongue2:.

Thats just how Norwegian people laugh, you racist!

I just saw the new x files film, bit of a disapointment, it was nice seein mulder and scully together again but it just felt like an average episode of the show. I wish they woulda just made it for the hard core fans, coz to be honest who the fuck else is gonna go see it? i hope they make another one that adresses all the shit that went down in the final episode. I did enjoy the film though, it just felt like and average episode is all.

I just saw the new x files film, bit of a disapointment, it was nice seein mulder and scully together again but it just felt like an average episode of the show. I wish they woulda just made it for the hard core fans, coz to be honest who the fuck else is gonna go see it? i hope they make another one that adresses all the shit that went down in the final episode. I did enjoy the film though, it just felt like and average episode is all.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but an average episode from seasons 1-6, or an average episode from seasons 7-9?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

[/Lithium-Chris Axl]

You deserved that.

Ahaa.

Rewatched The Doors last night.

Just like "Blades of Glory", thought "Semi-Pro" was mediocre at the theatre, but gets better and better with repeat home viewings.

A few funny scenes--

Cards-Jive Turkey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2lnbuirfs8

Half Court Shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDUFiV1Xrtc

Dewey:

That friggin' bear actually killed its' trainer this year. :shocked:

From The Feed: "Semi-Pro" Bear kills trainer (video)

April 23, 2008 - A stunt Grizzly Bear attacked and killed its trainer, reports "Good Morning America." The bear was most recently seen in Will Ferrel's 'Semi-Pro.' No word on whether the bear was expressing dissatisfaction with the trainer's career guidance...

http://www.236.com/tag/Dewey+The+Bear+Video

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I'm almost afraid to ask, but an average episode from seasons 1-6, or an average episode from seasons 7-9?

Maybe just a pretty poor episode from 1 - 6. I actually like 7 - 9 though, i enjoyed them way more than this new film anyway.