Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

Find the Czechoslovakian fiction section in your local library, then look for Klima, Kundera, Čapek, Hostovský, Havlíček and Hašek, and also Havel, Nezval, Weiner, Werich and Seifert if you've got abundant amounts of time on your hands. I think this is going to be one of my favourite racks. :heart:

Find the Czechoslovakian fiction section in your local library, then look for Klima, Kundera, Čapek, Hostovský, Havlíček and Hašek, and also Havel, Nezval, Weiner, Werich and Seifert if you've got abundant amounts of time on your hands. I think this is going to be one of my favourite racks. :heart:

Personally I would hope that the Czechoslovakian fiction section in my local library has been divided to the respective Czech and the Slovak sections.

If not, I hope they fire McCain from his newly earnt position. :tongue2:

Personally I would hope that the Czechoslovakian fiction section in my local library has been divided to the respective Czech and the Slovak sections.

Well, our university prides itself in never having grouped anything within the Former Yugoslavian section, so I wouldn't be as optmistic. :tongue2: *giggle*

Oh, the irony.

I do wonder what the point of Catcher in the Rye is. I think it means the exact opposite of what is written. Like a warning.

Holden changed the words of the song Comin' Thro the Rye.

“If a body catch a body comin' through the rye,” but the actual lyric is “If a body meet a body, coming through the rye.”

The song is about recreational sex, but Holden wants to catch all the children before they get to adulthood and that includes sex.

GNR changed it again to be "a body took a body" - turning the lyric back on Salinger.

It's sort of like Charles Manson stealing a song from the Beatles and U2 taking it back with Helter Skelter.

Only way I can see Catcher in the Rye is as a satire of adolescence. If Catcher was the only book he wrote like that then it would be more interesting but The Heart of a Broken Story.

Seems similiar, Salinger just might very anti-everything - that's part of the way he created, to destroy stuff. Maybe Catcher is just the truth, being a kid rules, being an adult sucks - just his opinion.

Heart of a Broken Story

http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/heartof.html

To me it's very similiar to Catcher, but it's about love...

Edited by wasted

You could read the story above The Heart of a Broken Story; it's shorter but contains the essence of Salinger. I think he just refuses to control his characters, he lets them breathe so he can then expose them in some way.

Actually I think Franny and Zooey were both short stories which were in the New Yorker like Heart of a Broken Story.

Franny and Zooey is meant to be like a Zen story of enlightenment. That's the solution Salinger has, it's like Holden's fantasy of the catcher - basically don't grow.

Edited by wasted

I wonder if there will be a whole flood of Salinger stories and books that come out after he dies.

Maybe. He did get into some sort of hinduism and you could easily imagine him as just dedicating himself to that religion and the publishing houses released everything they could by him - Franny and Zooey, Hapworth, Carpenter.

"It is my rather subversive opinion that a writer's feelings of anonymity-obscurity are the second most valuable property on loan to him during his working years." - Salinger.

I'm reading Trollslayer, which is the first book of the Gotrek and Felix series. It's a medieval fantasy series and there's two main characters: One is a Dwarven slayer named Gotrek (He's short, bearded and has got a shaved head except for a mohawk which he's dyed red with animal blood and keeps in place with animal fat. He's dedicated to fighting monsters with the aim of dying in a glorious battle), the other is Felix, a human poet who looks like Conan the Barbarian, who agreed in a drunken binge to accompany Gotrek and go on adventures, fighting daemons, cupcakes, dragons and other creatures.

It's really good.

Finished Brisingr by Christopher Paolini a while ago, really well written book and a well constructed world. Obviously no one does that kind of stuff like Tolkien but paolini's story's different enough to keep me interested. the only complaint I really have about Brisingr is it doesn't advance the plot much, for all that seems to happen in it, the ending situation is pretty similar to the ending of the previous book, Eldest.

Reading a book of Bob Dylan interviews at the moment which I'm really enjoying. Even though if I'm meandering around his born again period.

Also reading "Picture of Dorian Gray" atm which is one of those esteemed classics I never got round to reading.

On a related note, I did see the actual "On the Road" scroll the other day which was sort of interesting.

Serious questions. What is the better book, Atlas Shrugged or Catcher in The Rye. Please explain why too if you can.

It's sort of like asking what's better Charlie's Angels or Lost Highway.

I think Atlas Shrugged has an overt message and everything is up front. But it might have a more positive message. does that make it better?

Catcher in the Rye is probably more beautifully written and has more symbolism and is more complex but maybe it doesn't have a clear message and the reader is left to interpret it how they like. Salinger did not control his characters he let them breathe and act how they would. Maybe he has a point, maybe he doesn't.

Atlas seems to have a clear mesaage from the parts I've read. Like John Galt's speech.

Salinger might be saying life sucks don't grow up. Sort of like how Picasso wanted to paint like an infant again to get in touch with his subconscious.

Rand is saying life could be awesome if we run away and build a new socity full of hot smart chicks who kick ass. But reality is that there will always be hookers to rip you off.

I think you have to see the irony with which Salinger writes to get what he's saying. It's about a certain sadness. It's a very knowing, ironic, satire of adolscence with all the nuances that langauage will allow but maybe his final conclusion is that adulthood is full of failure and despair and you are only happy when a kid.

Atlas Shrugged has caused problems for people with it's concept of selfishness being misinterpreted as well.

There's nothing in Catcher in the Rye about killing people. It might give adolscents support in not growing up or believing in the establishment, making them commies in Rand's in-box.

You have to read Rand as a republican. You have to read Salinger as a liberal.

If you read Rand as Salinger you might end up as whole nother motherfucker.

Frauds and fakes sounds like my kind of book lol

Like a more paranoid Bladerunner?

Forgive me, I have sinned. I love the movie but haven't read the book. I don't think you should need my opinion to read Gaddis though, its a pretty neat experience.

I'm reading blood Meridian now so after this nightmare odyssey of scalping, Gaddis might seem like Drillbit Taylor.

Reading a book of Bob Dylan interviews at the moment which I'm really enjoying. Even though if I'm meandering around his born again period.

Also reading "Picture of Dorian Gray" atm which is one of those esteemed classics I never got round to reading.

On a related note, I did see the actual "On the Road" scroll the other day which was sort of interesting.

I saw the original scroll in NYC. But I saw that it's been published as a book now, unedited? I prefer Desolation Angels really.