South America has fallen to W.A.R. before a single piece of pyro could even be detonated.

ITW 2012

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the US cares that Slash,Izzy,Duff,etc. are not in the band. Maybe in SA they just don't know or don't care. Also,here in the US,it helps if you have a hit single and GNR did not have this. I am glad they are pulling strong numbers touring but in the US they are gonna need a co-headliner like Janes Addiction not Baz and Danko Jones.

I understand that part of the equation but even if they had those guys they still wouldn't be putting up South American type numbers all across North America. This is more of a cultural phenomenon in the vein of Mr. Big and Jesse And The Rippers in Japan; only we're talking about a whole continent, as opposed to just one little country.

Edited by ITW 2012

Maybe in SA they just don't know or don't care.

We ALL know that Slash, Izzy, Duff e etc are not in the band for years. The current lineup is great and because of that we are going.

Bullshit. There are plenty of casual fans who go to shows just to hear hits and they have no clue that Slash,Duff,etc are out. Also, a lot of the cats going weren't even born when GNR were in their prime and they had no chance to see them from 87-93 so,they go now and take what they can get as far as lineups go.

you coldnt be more wrong!!!!

EVERYBODY HERE knows that the original lineup is gone..believe me! EVERYBODY

the difference is that our rock magazines talk about acdc metallica and guns, and yours talk about lady gaga and the newest rap singer

Because here in SA (Argentina) don't complain aboult slash, izzy, duff, etc, we go to the show to have a great time, and guns n' roses give us that, so why think about whould be better with the original lineup if the new one give a great show, Axl is in great shape and we are hungry to listen great music. Besides when a monster rock band came here everybody wants to go, this is not US or Europe, there the bands play every day, here we have to wait, and now we have our pay day. Bye.

We just appreciate good music. =) Most of us, anyway.

They don't bitch and whine like us, because of the nice weather in SA. We're just a bunch of depressed gnr-fans.

The weather here is not nice. It's hot as hell. I would much rather be in the snow :D Except when I can go to the beach.

It's almost like GNR has been exiled from the US and has found a new home country in Brazil. Maybe Axl should buy a mansion down there and be the King of Brazil.

I second that.

Why is GNR so popular in South America? Do you guys just appreciate good music more?

Because SA loves any band. VH, Maiden, Crue, I even bet Warrant (LOL) would sell out. GnR isn't alone in selling out down there. Anyone sells out in SA. Oasis, Bon Jovi, anyone with any decent music sells out in SA.

Why is GNR so popular in South America? Do you guys just appreciate good music more?

Because SA loves any band. VH, Maiden, Crue, I even bet Warrant (LOL) would sell out. GnR isn't alone in selling out down there. Anyone sells out in SA. Oasis, Bon Jovi, anyone with any decent music sells out in SA.

Don't be so sure that every band sold out in SA, metallica don't sold out every show here and is a good band, maiden don't sold out, and lot of bands carry a lot of people but not to sold out a 70.000 people stadium. Besides there is somthing about GNR, something mystic, what can i say, we love Axl Rose.

We ALL know that Slash, Izzy, Duff e etc are not in the band for years. The current lineup is great and because of that we are going.

Bullshit. There are plenty of casual fans who go to shows just to hear hits and they have no clue that Slash,Duff,etc are out. Also, a lot of the cats going weren't even born when GNR were in their prime and they had no chance to see them from 87-93 so,they go now and take what they can get as far as lineups go.

the difference is that our rock magazines talk about acdc metallica and guns, and yours talk about lady gaga and the newest rap singer

They write about AC/DC and 'Tallica everywhere, but I think some places have a bigger following as far as hard rock and metal go. And I know they listen to Lady Gaga and Beyonce there, and esp Mariah Carey. Shakira's pretty global, plus AC/DC get a few fans thrown their way from her. I know when you're talking top 40 in South America, you're getting a mix of what's coming from the US and from Europe... so a band like Muse or a singer like Robbie Williams has a bigger following in SA than NA.

But there's one singer that's godlike to Latinos, and it's not Axl Rose, it's Morrissey.

Some food for thought - Rock in Rio might be the only time you might see Lady Gaga open up for GNR.

Because the US cares that Slash,Izzy,Duff,etc. are not in the band. Maybe in SA they just don't know or don't care. Also,here in the US,it helps if you have a hit single and GNR did not have this. I am glad they are pulling strong numbers touring but in the US they are gonna need a co-headliner like Janes Addiction not Baz and Danko Jones.

So,basically...yeah,they appreciate good music more.

They write about AC/DC and 'Tallica everywhere, but I think some places have a bigger following as far as hard rock and metal go. And I know they listen to Lady Gaga and Beyonce there, and esp Mariah Carey. Shakira's pretty global, plus AC/DC get a few fans thrown their way from her. I know when you're talking top 40 in South America, you're getting a mix of what's coming from the US and from Europe... so a band like Muse or a singer like Robbie Williams has a bigger following in SA than NA.

But there's one singer that's godlike to Latinos, and it's not Axl Rose, it's Morrissey.

Some food for thought - Rock in Rio might be the only time you might see Lady Gaga open up for GNR.

True about the Morrissey thing, I saw a documentary about that very subject, they love him!

Answer is very simple: South American people know their shit. Somebody said their magazines talked about GNR and not some Lady gaga, Jonas brothers, Tokio Hotel, Rammstein or other hip hop shit like in the rest of the world. He couldn't be more right. People outside of south america are dumb enough to only follow what's going on in the music world according to the medias, hence the big love for the utterly overrated band named "Them Crooked Vulture" which is basically shit on the creativity level and other than having three musician superstars together it's nothing... and people are dumb enough to buy that. It drives me mad.

Anyway, very glad that GNR sells out there, I will surely visit your country in the near future.

Can't base what's going on music on what magazines say, just what's popular, and what's popular in South America are the Spanish singers (not counting Shakira because she's global) mixed in with Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas.

South America follows European singers more than America does, I know Robbie Williams has done well there, and A-ha, which was a one hit wonder in the US, have done well in Europe and South America for years, but Madonna and U2 are the top selling artists there.

Paul McCartney set the record for largest crowd ever.

QOTSA fans like Them Crooked Vultures, Foo Fighter fans picked it up, other than that, most people aren't liking the music on there.

Rammstein hasn't played the US in almost a decade, they dropped off the map.

Why is GNR so popular in South America?

I think it's matter of musical taste. SA loves rock, but US loves pop and hip hop :shrugs: .

You are right. But I think everybody has a piece of the true. I mean, some casual fans outside USA don´t know about the line up, GNR is more respected outside the USA, specially SA, Asia and part of Europe, US people is more into Hip-hop and pop...

So I´d say if we have to put a mathematical formula for it, all your opinions would be represented on it.

The lineup has nothing to do with it - it's because they gained a rep for cancelling shows, playing late "on a work night" (maybe new fans can handle it, the old timers have to punch the clock the next morning), plus the band wasn't out touring for it or promoting it on TV.

The lineup has nothing to do with it - it's because they gained a rep for cancelling shows, playing late "on a work night" (maybe new fans can handle it, the old timers have to punch the clock the next morning), plus the band wasn't out touring for it or promoting it on TV.

when your fav band plays a show and you go shouldnt that be something special in your life? something worth taking a day off or calling in sick?

why do you go to a show with your mind still at work? might as well stay at home. are you a slave or a you a human being? overfed american garbage idiots. unworthy of any music performed for you.

Don't be so sure that every band sold out in SA, metallica don't sold out every show here and is a good band, maiden don't sold out, and lot of bands carry a lot of people but not to sold out a 70.000 people stadium. Besides there is somthing about GNR, something mystic, what can i say, we love Axl Rose.

Maiden almost always sell out in South America. I believe there was only 1 show in '08 that didn't sell out, and 2 or 3 in '09.

So,basically,,,yeah,they have a greater appreciation of good music.