Fucking Suits

ITW 2012

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid thread.

When guns does anything........has never been up to the record company.

everyone on this board, at the very least, should know and agree upon that.

Maybe in the past but do you really beleive Axl still has that type of power with the record company these days after what they went through with ChiDem?? It is not 1991 and GnR is not the biggest band in the world anymore..........

Wich made me think of this. Are G N' R these days popular enough for a recordcompany to invest mony in the band so they can record (and promote?) an album?

Of course. The name itself is a big draw. Contrary to popular belief, CD had good sales figures. It just wasn't a monumental success to the likes of AFD.

It really did not have good sales figures. It dropped off billboards top 200 three months after it debuted, while GHs was on the top 200 for something like 3 or 4 years.

That is saying a lot. It did not even sell a million in the US yet. How is that good??

If you said back in 2002 CD was not even going to sell 1m after a year and half and CD being released (in the US since thats where most of us live) everyone would have said you are crazy.

The problem with CD sales aside it did not have staying power. The next album needs a hit single.

Better is not a hit single as much as people want to claim. SR is much more radio friendly then better was.

How many will take the risk to work with an (unreliable) musician who only does what he wants and not taking care of the wishes of the recordcompany?

I'm guessing that all of them would.

Even if they have to spend millions of cash and wait for years before the album get released? Not these days when mony is very important for a recordcompany.

the label only cares about the money. And the way I see it they gave GNR the 14 mill based on the success of AFD/UYI, GNR were as succesful as the Bealtes/Stones and for that reason got the freedom of those bands, for a while anyway. But label didn't get the record when they wanted it, so at some point around 2000 they cut Axl off, from that point there's been no support. Considering the amount they put in in the last era, how would they make that back in this more hostile era? They weren't, so they washed their hands, plus the labels seemed to be all fucked up anyway/everything was a mess. They wanted CD to help them out of the hole they were in. They may have even wanted to put out Live Era and GH before CD, which they saw as not making enough money for them. Then after a few tours, they get close, but still it's a no go. Then finally Azoff gets involved and gets this Best Buy deal for GNR. However, the label has given up hope, may not give a shit anymore, they just want their money and thank their lucky stars. But still no support/ money for video, they let leave it to Best Buy. Label or someone still manages to fuck up the booklet which may have been the straw that broke the camels back, sending Axl AWOL, he doesn't do any face time for CD in media, talks about it on Billboard online, giving the impression that he's still pissed off from all the shit they've written over the years. maybe not caving at that point was just payback and sort of balances out having to sell out to Best Buy to get some freedom.

just how I see it as filtered through everything that I remember. basically fiction, but it makes sense to me.

This thread could have been something quite beautiful.

Yeah if people didn't give the actual facts instead of always blaming everyone but Axl for something that is Axls fault.

Yeah lets blame the suits for Axl not promoting CD after it came out. LOL

I know Axlites dont like logic on this board but someone has to use it once in a while.

Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's....

superdave.jpg

the label only cares about the money. And the way I see it they gave GNR the 14 mill based on the success of AFD/UYI, GNR were as succesful as the Bealtes/Stones and for that reason got the freedom of those bands, for a while anyway. But label didn't get the record when they wanted it, so at some point around 2000 they cut Axl off, from that point there's been no support. Considering the amount they put in in the last era, how would they make that back in this more hostile era? They weren't, so they washed their hands, plus the labels seemed to be all fucked up anyway/everything was a mess. They wanted CD to help them out of the hole they were in. They may have even wanted to put out Live Era and GH before CD, which they saw as not making enough money for them. Then after a few tours, they get close, but still it's a no go. Then finally Azoff gets involved and gets this Best Buy deal for GNR. However, the label has given up hope, may not give a shit anymore, they just want their money and thank their lucky stars. But still no support/ money for video, they let leave it to Best Buy. Label or someone still manages to fuck up the booklet which may have been the straw that broke the camels back, sending Axl AWOL, he doesn't do any face time for CD in media, talks about it on Billboard online, giving the impression that he's still pissed off from all the shit they've written over the years. maybe not caving at that point was just payback and sort of balances out having to sell out to Best Buy to get some freedom.

just how I see it as filtered through everything that I remember. basically fiction, but it makes sense to me.

This always gives me the impression that C.D was released without Axl's permission. Just look at the booklet. Wrong songtitles (Street of dreams), spelling errors and so on. Ok, Axl did some explanation about why the name The blues turned into Street of dreams but imo he just did that to cover up his back to not take responsibility about the mistake someone else made.

Why is the record company making things so difficult for Axl? They got their money back from Best Buy. I don't understand why they can't help Axl release and/or promote the music. The man still makes the best rock music out there and these clowns do nothing to help him. My theory is that they don't want him to do well because it'll make all the shit they normally peddle look bad.

are you serious? :suspicious:

This always gives me the impression that C.D was released without Axl's permission. Just look at the booklet. Wrong songtitles (Street of dreams), spelling errors and so on. Ok, Axl did some explanation about why the name The blues turned into Street of dreams but imo he just did that to cover up his back to not take responsibility about the mistake someone else made.

I'm almost positive Street of Dreams is meant to be the title. I remember Axl saying The Blues was a purely a working title and he had always seen the song as more of a walking and thinking song, therefore the imagery of a Street.

i think Axl said there was a perfectly good version of the booklet to use, but they messed it up. Again it points to the label just not caring about it. lack of communication been parties. And basically once the Best buy deal was done everyone went on vaycay. There was no support for the record before or after release, can't believe they didn't say do a video, but from label pov theirs no pint they just got 14 mill or whatever. game over. if best buy didnt have interviews in the contract then it was their mistake. this is meant to be business remember.

people can say axl should do interviews, but with who? if they are all going to put a spin on it. looking at what happened to the online chats in the mainstream media, they took some quotes and spinned it negatively to fit in with the story they've been running with for 10 years.

not that i know shit. just how i experienced it as fan reading the sources, its obvious.

so bottomline we got the album, but theres so many pitfalls businesswise. so getting the album was a minor miracle.

i think Axl said there was a perfectly good version of the booklet to use, but they messed it up. Again it points to the label just not caring about it. lack of communication been parties. And basically once the Best buy deal was done everyone went on vaycay. There was no support for the record before or after release, can't believe they didn't say do a video, but from label pov theirs no pint they just got 14 mill or whatever. game over. if best buy didnt have interviews in the contract then it was their mistake. this is meant to be business remember.

people can say axl should do interviews, but with who? if they are all going to put a spin on it. looking at what happened to the online chats in the mainstream media, they took some quotes and spinned it negatively to fit in with the story they've been running with for 10 years.

not that i know shit. just how i experienced it as fan reading the sources, its obvious.

so bottomline we got the album, but theres so many pitfalls businesswise. so getting the album was a minor miracle.

There where probably major plans to made videos of some songs but imo the lack of promotion has a lot to do with the love/hate affair between Axl and the recordcompany. The recordcompany screwed up the album and Axl than made his decission about not to promote the album. Why would he promote an album he isn't 100% happy about? Axl probably had some great ideas for the booklet (How are you grenade) but the recordcompany didn't wanted to wait any more longer to release the album.

There where probably major plans to made videos of some songs but imo the lack of promotion has a lot to do with the love/hate affair between Axl and the recordcompany. The recordcompany screwed up the album and Axl than made his decission about not to promote the album. Why would he promote an album he isn't 100% happy about? Axl probably had some great ideas for the booklet (How are you grenade) but the recordcompany didn't wanted to wait any more longer to release the album.

I think the bad relationship goes way back, not sure how far back, but at some point they cut Axl off and he had to fund it himself. Seems almost reasonable to me, but if it's not finished it's not, they had that final say in the contract? my theory is that label is constantly wanted to fuck up the release so guarantee bomb which they think will usher in reunion, back in 90s, early 00s that seemed like a possibility, but in trying to force it, they just made it worse. so yeah they wanted to release it wink wink

Axl said the label told him not to do a video, basically probably cos he already spent 14 mill? or videos don't mean shit in terms of sales, bottomline BB deal got them their cash, why do a video? only for the fans really. fuck us. the band might enjoy it. line up changes? so many problems. but seems like ideas were turned down anyway.

I think maybe Axl wanted to put out a double album? seems like that, but nobody cared, again cos of the BB deal makes everything pointless. double just means more money down the tube, they already got paid. but a double or multiple covers. they didn't fuck up the record musically, just didn't support it. until Jimmy Iovine comes on here and begs for mercy that's what I'll believe. I havent even heard him say "great record" not that I'm scouring variety magazine or whatever rag that would be in.

people say do promotion, but what exactly? no video, interviews or chatshows - again which magazines would treat him fairly or give his version of the truth?

but I don't know shit, probably got everything completely wrong and leading everyone astray. just how I see it, from a fans point of view. a subjective take on it.

The thing is the OP is asuming the next album is finisshed and ready to go...we've had NO uggestions that is the case..a few song titles thrown around, a 30 second clip, nothing else. It's not the record companies fault if theres no new album to even promote. An people are being too criticial of the company as well i think....yeah they may have botched the release up, but what record company realistically would give any band a 14 year open budget, keep them on after a failed tour (2002), and generally give complete artistic fredom...the company has fucked many things up..but they cant be criticised for that point IMO

Randy might have a point if Guns N' Roses was an obscure band about to release its first album, but it's not. How many years did those nasty executives let Axl tinker away with a near limitless budget? And how many label-heads do you know offer a $1 million bonus just for its artist to hand in a finished recording? From what we know, Axl also had full creative control— Chinese Democracy is exactly what he wanted it to be; it's a "true Guns N' Roses album." Jimmy Iovine wasn't demanding he return to the studio to record Welcome Back to the Jungle because he didn't see a hit single. Everything from the solo in This I Love to the weird "I don't want to do it" line in Sorry is exactly as it was intended— just like Axl told us. That kind of freedom is unheard of. How about Rolling Stone offering him the cover and an exclusive interview? He turned it all down and shot himself in the foot..

Axl won't play the media game because he doesn't want to be confronted by obvious topics, and he's terrified of having another embarrassing incident like the VMAs, which he admitted was a complete disaster..

-Kickingthehabit

You have some points but such creative control is nothing unheard of in 80s when U2 signed to Island label they got total creative control of their music.

Right, so if the album was released without Axls permission, that wouldnt that mean it was Axl making it difficult to put out this album and not the label?

The thing is the OP is asuming the next album is finisshed and ready to go...we've had NO uggestions that is the case..a few song titles thrown around, a 30 second clip, nothing else. It's not the record companies fault if theres no new album to even promote. An people are being too criticial of the company as well i think....yeah they may have botched the release up, but what record company realistically would give any band a 14 year open budget, keep them on after a failed tour (2002), and generally give complete artistic fredom...the company has fucked many things up..but they cant be criticised for that point IMO

Yes we have, Axl said it on the Eddie Trunk show, they had two and half albums finished.

He even said at a later point they were looking at about 30 or so songs to choose from to make the cut for CD.

So taking that 30 number that would mean take out the 12 CD songs, you have 18 songs left that are finished at least.

I dont think they are going to add DJ to the 2nd album, because that money would have to come out of Axls pocket. If Axl does want to add DJ then we are going to be in for a long wait.

But CD and its follow up were both finished at the same time.

The label has no reason to release CD II. They probably recouped most of their money off of the Best Buy deal. CD II won't even sell half of what CD did because it lacks the mystery. Why would the label release and promote an album from an artist they have had difficulties with for the past two decades for minimal profit. It just doesn't make good business sense.

The best business solutions for the label are A) releasing another Greatest Hits compilation, B) Do nothing, or C) A miracle happens and the original band reunites and records new material. That would sell.

Of course they have reason to. The follow up is free money. That 13m or more went into making pretty much three albums, its not going to cost them anything but what ever it does to promote CD II.

The album is already done, it just needs to be released. What ever money they make on it would add to that 15m or so they got from the best buy deal.

Edited by gnr-dave

Well even if it is ready to be released, that doesnt mean either the record company or GN'R want it released yet, they want to focus their current efforts towards Chinese Democracy I, and after a 14 year wait, no one can blame them. They'll release CD II when they've finished with this one. And not to mention that DJ will probably be included in the next album, so his parts need to be recorded...

Edited by seely

Well even if it is rdy to be released, that doesnt mean either the record company or GN'R want it released yet, they want to focus their current efforts towards Chinese Democracy I, and after a 14 year wait, no one can blame them. They'll release CD II when they've finished with this one. And not to mentoon that DJ will probably be included in thenext album, so his parts need to be recorded...

Inclined to agree with this. Give this album its moment in the sun then move onto something else. Axl said in the online chats, I think, that they want to focus on this for at least 2 years or so. Plus Ashba being on the album is something I see happening, Bumble and Frank were on Chinese and will probably be on the follow up so why not Ashba also, assuming of course he comes up with something worth putting on. It wont be expensive to do, they could do it in either Axl's studio or Ashba's so that's no skin off anyone's nose.

Edited by plonker88

I think a lot of artists are really upset with labels. Of course Axl is living in his world and it doesn't make anything easier. Look how Stone Temple Pilots struggle with label. World has moved on , labels did not. Label system is dated and unless they change game or will fall one by one. Artist can survive easily without their support with artists 100% owned labels. Look at Buckcherry , label dropped them so they went to release their music "15" sold 1mln copies in USA alone. Shitload of money they made, without labels artist can sell less music ( downloading etc) but keep their income on same level as before because they get all the money.

I think a lot of artists are really upset with labels. Of course Axl is living in his world and it doesn't make anything easier. Look how Stone Temple Pilots struggle with label. World has moved on , labels did not. Label system is dated and unless they change game or will fall one by one. Artist can survive easily without their support with artists 100% owned labels. Look at Buckcherry , label dropped them so they went to release their music "15" sold 1mln copies in USA alone. Shitload of money they made, without labels artist can sell less music ( downloading etc) but keep their income on same level as before because they get all the money.

The labels most of the time screw over their bands, but in this case its not the case.

They gave Axl 13m, so of course they would want that album to come out.

That is why they made the deal with best buy to get all of that money back regardless of how CD sold.

This whole topic, or at least what is has become, is a bit of a dead end really. We know, what, maybe 5% of what goes on between Guns and the label. There could be a whole new contract between the two of them for all we know.

Edited by plonker88

Stupid thread.

When guns does anything........has never been up to the record company.

everyone on this board, at the very least, should know and agree upon that.

Maybe in the past but do you really beleive Axl still has that type of power with the record company these days after what they went through with ChiDem?? It is not 1991 and GnR is not the biggest band in the world anymore..........

Wich made me think of this. Are G N' R these days popular enough for a recordcompany to invest mony in the band so they can record (and promote?) an album?

:rofl-lol: of course not! Any band can sell out several stadiums! :thumbsup:

Right, so if the album was released without Axls permission, that wouldnt that mean it was Axl making it difficult to put out this album and not the label?

Who was responsible for the fact that the album was 15 years in the making?

Last time Universal said something about Chinese Democracy selling numbers, they said it was +/- on the 6th million, now it's probably on the 7th.

It didn't fail. It didn't fail AT ALL!

Edited by ManetsBR

Who was responsible for the fact that the album was 15 years in the making?

The people who walked out on Axl? The guy had to rebuild a gigantic monster all alone, from scratch.