Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

It sucks that some people feel upset over it but come on to fuck. It's Axl and GNR. Don't tell me or even try to complain that they came on late. Ron? how many posts have you here? You couldn't be bothered anymore? This is not ground breaking news that Axl may take the stage late or walk off. I was there too so don't tell me I don't understand. I stayed. Axl stood still - still brilliant!! I do feel sorry people but nobody died. It was a rock concert.

I understand that people are upset and disappointed. But if you've been a fan of this band you shouldn't be surprised. You were just unlucky. How can you turn your back on them now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ron,

I stayed until the end as well. Axl's attitude (the leaning back/no effort) killed the atmosphere.

After every song after he came back on there would be very little applause or boos; just kind of apathy.

People seemed to cheer most when the band was on without Axl (during the guitar solos) as the band put in

a major effort.

However it was like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic; despite everything they did (Richard especially tore things up

and had loads of energy), it wasn't enough

I was talking to two fans who stuck it out until the end of the gig. I met them yesterday on the train home. They described Ask as standing at the back like a statue and said he was "a sulking little bollix." Not everyone who stayed appreciated his attitude.

He stood still. But he was still singing great. I was glad the show went on in any form. Not the best GNR show. But still far greater than any other show!!!!!

Hi Ron,

I stayed until the end as well. Axl's attitude (the leaning back/no effort) killed the atmosphere.

After every song after he came back on there would be very little applause or boos; just kind of apathy.

People seemed to cheer most when the band was on without Axl (during the guitar solos) as the band put in

a major effort.

However it was like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic; despite everything they did (Richard especially tore things up

I agree with you Axl666

How can you enjoy a show when you know the lead performer is Sulking at you and clearly doesn't want to be there anymore - Is only there to fulfill contractual obligations so he can get paid and get out of there!!!

Did you see how he ended the show??? He said "goodnight" and walked off!!! Come On??? People want a little personal interaction etc!!

I can damn well assure you all if I was getting paid the money he is to be at at a show on time - I would be!!! Reading had to have him on time and he still disrespected them and didn't show up on time!!! Now he is being sued for £2m which I am glad of!

All the other band members were there well on time because I saw them at the side of the stage from an early point!!!

Irish Independent review:

t's 10.24pm. Normally, this is the time you hear the headline act bellowing, "Goodnight Dublin." There would be a short interval and perhaps a few encores.

But at 10.24pm on Wednesday night, the house lights finally go down in the O2 and Guns N' Roses take to the stage to the relief of a very impatient crowd.

The scenes that follow were some kind of live musical equivalent of GUBU. It's grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and totally unprecedented.

Seconds into the second song, 'Welcome to the Jungle', Axl Rose suddenly halts the performance after a water bottle is tossed on stage. "Here's the deal," he says. "One more bottle and we go. We don't want to go."

After five appalling numbers, Bottlegate part 2. "That's it. Thank you. Goodnight. Have a nice evening." The punters next to me who have driven up from Cork leave, as do many fans. Axl Rose clearly has zero consideration for the paying audience, venue staff and promoters.

A stagehand announces that there are "technical difficulties". And he is dealing with -- technically -- one of the most difficult artists in the world.

Astonishingly, promoter Dennis Desmond himself takes to the stage.

"Sincere apologies about this. We're trying hard to get Axl to come back on-stage. I would ask you please to refrain from throwing items at him. I promise you a great show, but we need calm, please. If you could bear with us for five minutes. Thank you for your patience," he tells the crowd.

The house lights go down after another uncertain interval and the band finally return and launch into a rendition of 'Live and Let Die'.

Bizarrely, one of Axl's hired guns announces, "C'mon Dublin, don't let yourselves down".

It is his own frontman that has let everyone down. There is a telling contrast to how Slash entertained a fervent crowd at Vicar Street recently and treated the audience with respect and heartfelt appreciation.

Those words clearly aren't in Axl Rose's vocabulary. He insists on performing track after track from the flop of an album that is 'Chinese Democracy'.

Admittedly, the band do a decent take on 'Sweet Child O'Mine', but Axl looks like he couldn't give a monkeys and their playing unashamedly apes Slash.

The 'show' eventually ends at 1am sharp. If you've missed your last bus or DART, tough.

The washed up bad joke that is Axl Rose should retire from live performances with immediate effect until he cops on and learns some basic manners.

Christ...

How come they're not concerned with the risk that throwing objects is to the "paying audience". How fucking retarded is that? It is a real danger.

How come there's so much boiling hate towards Axl. It sucks he was late but everyone's acting as if he killed someone, I just don't get it.

Edited by zbyram

Guest RonMexico82

It sucks that some people feel upset over it but come on to fuck. It's Axl and GNR. Don't tell me or even try to complain that they came on late. Ron? how many posts have you here? You couldn't be bothered anymore? This is not ground breaking news that Axl may take the stage late or walk off. I was there too so don't tell me I don't understand. I stayed. Axl stood still - still brilliant!! I do feel sorry people but nobody died. It was a rock concert.

I understand that people are upset and disappointed. But if you've been a fan of this band you shouldn't be surprised. You were just unlucky. How can you turn your back on them now.

Did you even read my review man? I didn't have a problem with them going on at the time they did. The vast majority at the gig did however. Read my review again because I think you missed the point that I was making.

I know it's disappointing for the thousands who went to the show but after watching the videos on YouTube I have to say that Axl's voice sounds great. Granted he's stationary and would rather be somewhere else.

This I Love

yeah, but part of the magic of a GnR show is that Axl runs around, which gets him closer to more members of the audience, and he exudes an incredible amount of energy. I can't imagine being at a concert where Axl just stands there. I think that must have been hard for the rest of the band to watch as well, though not as hard as dealing with Axl right after PC, backstage!

Guardian report:

If Axl Rose didn't think it could get any worse than last weekend's sets at Reading and Leeds festival, and the subsequent war of words, Wednesday's concert in Dublin must have seemed like a nightmare. Guns N' Roses were just four songs into their gig at the O2 when boos and bottling forced Rose to confront the crowd. "If you don't want to have fun, all you've got to do is let us know," the singer told them. The crowd let him know. And Rose left the stage.

Guns N' Roses began their set almost an hour late – a record even in this week of embarrassing tardiness. "The sound of booing echoed through the arena," recalled a fan, "but it was suddenly drowned out as the lights went down." Yet many of the band's critics were persistent. "We want Slash!" they yelled, referring to the band's former guitarist. The boos went on. And plastic bottles were thrown at the stage.

Twenty minutes into the set, Rose gave an ultimatum. "Here's the deal," he said. "One more bottle and we go home. It's up to you. We would like to stay. We want to stay. We want to have some fun." But some fans weren't impressed. The bottling continued. Rose walked off.

After that, the house lights went up and down, with promoters and security sending mixed messages about whether the concert would continue. "We're trying hard to get Axl to come back on stage," an organiser announced. "I will ask you to refrain from throwing items. I promise you a great show, but you need to be calm." The gig's promoters later issued a statement, saying they "prevented [Axl] from leaving the venue". At 11:20 pm – about an hour after they had left the stage – Guns N' Roses returned and completed their set.

The concert was apparently pretty good. Or at least, everyone but Axl was pretty good. "Guns rocked Dublin last night, but we could've done without the Rose," explained a fan. But this was of little consolation to those who had already left the O2, thinking the concert over; public transport had stopped for the night and ticket-holders were reportedly barred from re-entering the arena.

Last weekend, Rose declared "war" on festival bosses. If he's not careful, Guns N' Roses' fans may soon be launching a coup against the band's frontman.

The smirnoff ice bottles were actually plastic bottles (I held one); they just looked like the glass bottles.

Oh really????

Shit yeah they certainly looked glass, well then is all this fuss over a plastic bottle???? :(

Again not that I approve of anyone throwing anything Plastic or Otherwise - But come on???

He wanted to go from the start - and that was the perfect excuse!!!

Hi Ron,

a major effort.

I agree with you Axl666

How can you enjoy a show when you know the lead performer is Sulking at you and clearly doesn't want to be there anymore - Is only there to fulfill contractual obligations so he can get paid and get out of there!!!

Did you see how he ended the show??? He said "goodnight" and walked off!!! Come On??? People want a little personal interaction etc!!

I can damn well assure you all if I was getting paid the money he is to be at at a show on time - I would be!!! Reading had to have him on time and he still disrespected them and didn't show up on time!!! Now he is being sued for £2m which I am glad of!

All the other band members were there well on time because I saw them at the side of the stage from an early point!!!

You (not you especially but the people from your country) deserved it with your shit attitude and lack of patience. You're lucky Axl dared to perform the whole show.

Did you even read my review man? I didn't have a problem with them going on at the time they did. The vast majority at the gig did however. Read my review again because I think you missed the point that I was making.

Sorry. I did read it this morning but in work so darting in and out when I can and got wires crossed. Just getting really annoyed with all the negativity! Even my mother was on about it :lol:

I know it's disappointing for the thousands who went to the show but after watching the videos on YouTube I have to say that Axl's voice sounds great. Granted he's stationary and would rather be somewhere else.

This I Love

yeah, but part of the magic of a GnR show is that Axl runs around, which gets him closer to more members of the audience, and he exudes an incredible amount of energy. I can't imagine being at a concert where Axl just stands there. I think that must have been hard for the rest of the band to watch as well, though not as hard as dealing with Axl right after PC, backstage!

I agree but whenever Axl is 'on' and sings whilst running around fans complain that he sounds off or whatever. I can understand that fans may feel like they didn't get the full article. What's disappoints me are comments I have read on Youtube about Axl having no heart during that performance. The guy was singing full pelt imo anyway which was a lot better than he he handled a similar situation in Australia in 2007.

When Guns come to Manchester I hope Axl is 'on'.

I just watched Paradise City from Dublin. Axl leaves the stage when the song finishes without saying his usual goodbye. If he didn't do it I hope one of the guys did it for him. I wonder what the guys said to him after the show?

Has anyone from the GNR camp commented on this show?

Dj ASHBA™

Many thx to all of you who stuck it out with us last night, turning a negative night into a positive one, and for not allowing a few bad apples in the crowd to spoil our fun! Here in Rome, this place is in-f%$#ing-sane!!! Wow, it's beyond beautiful here. Got to get some zzzzzzz...... ttyl.

The smirnoff ice bottles were actually plastic bottles (I held one); they just looked like the glass bottles.

Oh really????

Shit yeah they certainly looked glass, well then is all this fuss over a plastic bottle???? :(

Again not that I approve of anyone throwing anything Plastic or Otherwise - But come on???

Well the bottle I held was plastic. I cannot say that all bottles were (e.g. the heineken bottles).

However I cannot see a venue like that allowing any glass bottles in. If someone from a seating area

threw a glass bottle into the crowd it would kill someone. The guards and the o2 would know that.

Oh really????

Well the bottle I held was plastic. I cannot say that all bottles were (e.g. the heineken bottles).

However I cannot see a venue like that allowing any glass bottles in. If someone from a seating area

threw a glass bottle into the crowd it would kill someone. The guards and the o2 would know that.

it was all plastic man

Hi Ron,

a major effort.

I agree with you Axl666

You (not you especially but the people from your country) deserved it with your shit attitude and lack of patience. You're lucky Axl dared to perform the whole show.

No No!! You see there is a lot of misconception here!!!

If you know anything about Irish audiences or Irish people you will understand that it was HIS attitude that pissed everyone off!!!

Ok people were getting restless and were booing before they came on - because they felt insulted that he could do this to them right after the fiasco in the UK last week!!!

The O2 also has curfew times - albeit they are not as strict as festivals, but still people were worried they would be cut short like Reading - that was the last report we read!!!

Every other GnR Band Member was there waiting to go on and rock the night away!!!

Generally when artists come on the stage they greet the crowds!!! He antagonized the crowd and made a bad situation worse!! Then it just went downhill from there!!!

I guarntee you - If he had of come on and said something like "Hello Dublin - Fucking Great to be here again" like BD did with Iron Maiden or "Sorry we are a bit late, but we will make it up" or anything along those lines

I guarntee you Wednesday night would have been a lot different!!! The plastic glasses would have still been thrown, but the security could have delt with that!!! The overall athmosphere in the place would have been much better!!!

Lol at the Irish, stupid drunk fakkups! A pimple on Europe's face!

Reported.

+1

It was funny during KOHD when Axl made the gesture to Tommy to cut out the crowd participation bit - the old open hand across the neck gesture. Tommy nodded and laughed understandably and Axl smiled back at him.

Hes a small small man

I'm amazed how a crowds response to a performer has provoked such racist responses from some people

How far are people willing to let themselves down for a man who A) doesn't give a remote shit about them and B ) they dont know and are likely never to meet

its the charasmatic dictator routine in action

or is it that this board has become populated with children since i left it?

Edited by Mr Estranged

I was talking to two fans who stuck it out until the end of the gig. I met them yesterday on the train home. They described Ask as standing at the back like a statue and said he was "a sulking little bollix." Not everyone who stayed appreciated his attitude.

He stood still. But he was still singing great. I was glad the show went on in any form. Not the best GNR show. But still far greater than any other show!!!!!

I disagree it was crushing to see my favourite lead singer of all time show such disinterest and disrespect towards all of the fans - To be honest in a way I wish I didn't stay to the end and thats something I never thought I'd say as a die hard fan of GnR in all incarnations. I'm sure if we ever get a comment on the gig from Axl he will place the blame firmly on the asshole who threw the cups / the security / promoters etc. But when he came back on there was no crowd issues whatsoever it was just bad form what he did in my book.

Hi Ron,

a major effort.

I agree with you Axl666

Getting sued by who for 2 million? Nothing I've heard about him getting sued for turning up late.

Why do people think he sounded great, he was shocking when he came back on stage. Only 25% of the vocals were good after the walk off.

I think in some of the videos he sounds great, but people are just trying to find a positive in a negative situation. It's a bit over the top if you ask me, talk of "they won the crowd over in the end", "Axls voice is the best ever" etc, etc. Truth is, It was a shit show, they've had them before, they'll have them again - move on. Rome will probably fucking rock.

Edited by axl8302