Classic Rock Magazine Sweden Rock GNR Show Review

Naupis

I haven't seen this here, and I think it is from this month's Classic Rock magazine according to the kid who uploaded it to Cd.com today.

The reviewer was Geoff Barton who founded Kerrang! heavy metal magazine and was an editor of Sounds music magazine, so he is not some unaccomplished bum off the streets.

He brutalized GNR pretty bad, and seems to think the Leeds/Reading gig is going to be a disaster for the band. Is anyone here going to that show?

On the bright side he did give a shout out for Bucketheads robot moves and nunchuck twirling as being the only things the show was missing.

Click on the "all sizes" button at the top of the picture to make it bigger.

Page 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32648924@N06/4801766160/

Page 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32648924@N06/4801766784/#

the last line made me laugh. i wasn't gonna finish reading that review but i did, it was intresting. i kept thinking "gotta be a slashite" and i was gonna post that on here too (without finishing the article) and i'm sure alot of your responses to me would be "oh so everything bad about Axl, has to come from a slashite" well, no. but in this case, if you've read the last line in that review, clearly shows, that in this case, yes. the writer wants the GNR name to go with Slash, as he says in the last line. so of course he's gonna write shit and make jokes about Axl, what he's wearing and how he looks (the most menial of matters IMO) didnt mentinon how the band can play the hell out of the songs, or his opinion of how the band played at all.

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

Exactly. Why take this guy seriously? First of all, who cares what critics think about music and secondly, you only have to look at the quotations next to the pics to see this guy has an agenda. :rolleyes:

Edited by Axl Knows

I can now confirm that Geoff Barton is indeed a Slashite.

Here was his review of Slash's set from the Download festival this year.

But it’s Slash who provides the first genuine ‘moment’ of the day though. Proving a deep understanding of festival crowds, his set is stuffed with Guns N’ Roses hits such as Rocket Queen, Sweet Child O’ Mine and Paradise City which are howled along to by the happy drunks in the pit. He’s found a perfect foil in Alter Bridge’s Myles Kennedy, who’s beaming so widely he looks he’s won the lottery, found a cure for cancer and pulled Angelina Jolie all in the same day.

With a rich, powerful blues voice he hits the high notes beautifully and invigorates these old favourites in a way that, to be brutally honest, Axl Rose doesn’t these days. And when Lemmy is brought out to add his glorious rasp to Doctor Alibi, he and Slash look like a couple of rock ‘n’ roll cartoons brought to life. In Download terms, this set is the ‘Johnny Cash Sunday afternoon moment’ Glastonbury-goers hold so dear.

He also had a glowing review from Slash and Friends gig he did in Norway last year.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/slash-friends-rock-norway/

We need to mobilize a campaign now to get all Slash cupcakes purged from the media to end the conspiracy against Axl and New GNR.

Edited by Naupis

Classic Rock Magazine has a contract to promote Slash, a couple of months back they were selling special copies of the magazine that came with the Slash and Freinds album. I would have been very suprised if they gave a New GNR show a good review, I'm just as suprised at how snidey and childish this one is, its gutter press at its finest. Ever since they got the Slash deal they seem to think that to promote Slash, it means talking trash about Axl, its so fuckin purile.

Rock Radio in the UK is a partner of Classic Rock and also promoting Slash and his album heavily, Slash has even been guesting and phoning in on the station reguarly. Since they got the Slash deal the dj's have been slagging "Axl and his backing band" at every opportunity, fawning over Slash and refusing to play any Chinese Democracy material, whereas before they used to play a few songs off it a week, and usually they would play a request no bother. I requested Madagascar a while back and they played Paradise City, a VR song and Slash's new single back to back, and the DJ was laughing about ensuring Slash got his royalties. Thats the 2nd time thats happened to me.

When they announced GNR were headlining Reading and Leeds the DJ said "of course its not really Guns N Roses, its just Axl and some backing band, so we'll go down there and *cough chuckle* tell you all what its like."

I got the feeling the review was going to be written that very afternoon :shrugs:

Edited by Olorin

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

It was a great concert. I was there. But unless you were very near the stage, the sound was pretty bad, after what's been told. It was very windy that day (one of the mixing-towers almost fell down due to the wind earlier that day), so I've been told that the sound sucked if you were more than 30 metres from the stage.

I haven't seen this here, and I think it is from this month's Classic Rock magazine according to the kid who uploaded it to Cd.com today.

The reviewer was Geoff Barton who founded Kerrang! heavy metal magazine and was an editor of Sounds music magazine, so he is not some unaccomplished bum off the streets.

He brutalized GNR pretty bad, and seems to think the Leeds/Reading gig is going to be a disaster for the band. Is anyone here going to that show?

On the bright side he did give a shout out for Bucketheads robot moves and nunchuck twirling as being the only things the show was missing.

Click on the "all sizes" button at the top of the picture to make it bigger.

Page 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32648924@N06/4801766160/

Page 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32648924@N06/4801766784/#

Kid? I'm 31 so not exactly a kid, anyhow yeah this is from the newest classic rock may going on sale this week if it isn't already. It's pretty obvious this guy hates GN'R, or the new version at least, and if that's the case why bother sending him, why not someone more impartial, I would take a negative review better if the guy at least went over to give the band at chance.

obviously the reporters a cunt gnr are a great band ive seen many times and the reading and leeds shows will be nothing short of perfect only in a day of such stale bland bullshit music full of crap pop acts and manufactured rock bands could a reporter get away with printing such shite, hopefully he will lose his job and be remebered as the piss ant that he is, keep the faith gnrs england shows will be perfect , as for chinese democracy it was worth the wait 100 percent

dontt buy classic rock boycott the bastads

long live guns n roses

this so called reporter is bias from the start of his "article".

we can see n' hear on YouTube how the performance of GNR was received by the public. and they were well received!

and for the one who started this topic, whats your motivations for it?

first of, the "reporter" was slammed in "Get in the ring" as being part of "Kerrang!", so it's not like he forget that by now!

second, "he is not some unaccomplished bum off the streets", meaning what? that he's someone we should take for granted? what's that ending of his article have to do with reality? it's just his personal desire.

third, if Classic Rock Magazine took his article for granted, why not post it online, where the visibility for it is higher?

it's like you want to re-start up the old topic - I don't need to write which one, do I? - and, honestly, it's not the time and not the place! as the song goes: "let it be..." :D

peace n' out!

this so called reporter is bias from the start of his "article".

we can see n' hear on YouTube how the performance of GNR was received by the public. and they were well received!

and for the one who started this topic, whats your motivations for it?

first of, the "reporter" was slammed in "Get in the ring" as being part of "Kerrang!", so it's not like he forget that by now!

second, "he is not some unaccomplished bum off the streets", meaning what? that he's someone we should take for granted? what's that ending of his article have to do with reality? it's just his personal desire.

third, if Classic Rock Magazine took his article for granted, why not post it online, where the visibility for it is higher?

it's like you want to re-start up the old topic - I don't need to write which one, do I? - and, honestly, it's not the time and not the place! as the song goes: "let it be..." :D

peace n' out!

Wow, on the last Gunners tour (think it was the Hammersmith gig in '06) Classic Rock were pretty complementary. Yeah, they did mock Axl being late and the guitar solo spots (fair enough imo) but they were very impressed with the show, ending with the comment, 'Well who's going to be singing Velvet Revolver songs in 20 years?'.

Guess this collaboration with Slash has really biased their viewpoint on GN'R. Haven't bought a copy since the scandal surrounding their 'handling' of the slash fanpacks, which was even later than Axl arriving on stage! :tongue2:

Founding music rags doesn't mean shit, especially the ones he did in the 80s. This guy also 'wrote' a 'book' about Michael Jackson called 'Facts From The Dancefloor' to capitalise on his mid 90s comeback which was basically a bunch of shit, low-res pictures overlaid with interesting facts like the names of MJ's pets and you could tell from his sneering tone that he didn't like MJ one bit. Quick, easy way to make some cash and with 10 years in magazine publishing and editing and a guaranteed-to-sell topic you can get away with printing any old shit. The guy's a tool.

'Believe us, he ain't a pretty sight' - oh

'Dressed like a holiday camp entertainer' - ouch

'It quickly becomes apparent that this isn't Guns N'Roses' - Its the new GN'R, Axl & Co.

’It‘s some mad scientist vision of them’ - I had to laugh :D

At least Slash has stayed close to his roots, when it comes to sound :thumbsup: