Ticket Prices are ridiculous

Marky

Since everybody in my family is a GNR fan and wanted to go to the show, the tickets expenses were high (R$1400 for 5 premium tickets for a single show).

But since going to a GNR show was a long-time dream of mine, I had some savings for the occasion. And I don't regret spending it all: it was totally worth it.

I was a bit afraid of the show being cancelled at first, but in the end everything went well and I had the time of my life.

But, yeah, maybe this is just a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't show up in a live performance of a band that I don't like - even if the tickets were for free!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he's doing the cash grab nostalgia/retirement tour, but he's also giving the audience a hell of a visual show and musicians he feels are worthy of playing those songs. And he's not even going to be singing much of the songs if it's anything like the Dark Side tour. But he's nearing 70 and he was never much of a singer...

Funny thing is Gilmour's going to be doing the show for free. All he's doing is showing up at a random show, plugging in on "Comfortably Numb" (and maybe "Run Like Hell") and taking off before the show's over. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even rehearse, and just go "what key" and say "see you there".

Roger Waters is knocking on £80 for his tickets. THAT my friend, is overpriced tickets.

Somebody already referenced my post as 'the band being mediocre in the public's eyes', not my own, maybe read the thread first.

I like Guns, Im not obsessed though, Im the middle ground between the public and the fanboys, and I can tell you that the tickets are ridiculous.

But the prices are similiar to other bands, so it isn't ridiculous. You're exaggerating.

I can see most gigs at the O2 or Wembley Arena/Stadium (The 3 biggest venues in London) for under £40. Like someone already said, there's no consistency.

I can tell you that the tickets are ridiculous.

And I can tell you that you're ridiculous.

Yeah, the price might be more expensive than all the mediocre, shitty bands out there, that play the same old indie shit, but when you want to go see a legendary rock band you do tend to pay a bit more money. Look at Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, etc. It's "expensive" all around, you shouldn't be surprised, and I think considering what other bands have been charging, £50 isn't bad.

I take it that you're under the opinion that: Same Old Indie Shit = Anything that isn't Classic Rock. That's fine, but don't try to justify the prices because they're legendary, or whatever.

50 bucks.

Damn the OP is cheap.

I'm an 18 year old student, in a crappy part time job, on minimum wage, trying to balance a personal life in which I have to haul my arse to places like, hmm let's see, the hospital, where my Mother is currently laid up having had a serious operation. And then there's transport to college/uni, which obviously during these months I don't have to pay, but will do come September, seeing as my Dad is too fucking broke to provide, and I can't get support for it. Please, do not criticise me for being 'cheap'.

I do think artists should try to keep prices reasonable. When they charge more, it does rule out younger people who want to get turned on to the music and give preference to people with deep pockets and their spoiled brats that are along for a parent/child bonding moment, and the kid's texting the entire show.

But I also feel that if a band really means that much to you, bypass all the other shows and go see the one show you've always wanted to see. If you think it's going to be a mediocre nostalgia show, then why complain about the price?

But what really bothers me is if a band is being sponsored by a product, those tickets should be as low as possible. I know the artists that do something like the Southern Comfort Experience or something along those lines, people got in for free, because they pushed product, and people had more money to buy product. Lower ticket prices = more money for swag. But you have to look at the overall picture with GNR, it's not just about lining Axl's pocket, it's all the stuff that has to do with how much it costs to pay the band and the roadies. A paid festival show for an up and coming band is great, but for a headliner, it's a nice sized paycheck for less stage time. Some people just do festivals vs touring esp. when they get older.

But there's always ways to get into a show. We've all done it.

Most people here spend many times that on cell service for a month that gets you what exactly? Paying that to see a killer band is actually very cheap IMO.

Everything in the whole damn world.

Sure but honestly we spend what a ticket costs no problem on stuff all the time, why not spend it on an entire evening of something you enjoy? To me and evening out for about $100 aint bad at all, fuck I have dropped more than that some night in an hour at a bar

I spent $50 on Roger Water tickets.....in the nose bleeds. Closer seats and GA were $120. That's something you should be complaining about.

The wall is going to be 230 feet long. It's more spectacle than concert, the musicians are secondary to the story and the overall visuals. Which is the story of Pink Floyd in a nutshell.

I don't think you'll have a problem seeing it if you're directly back, but getting a side view of the stage would suck.

What would be cool (but very weird in a way) is if Naomi Watts played the "groupie" at one of the shows (her dad worked for them but died early, she then moved to Australia as a kid). I am hoping they get other guests to show up on the tour, besides Gilmour (and prob. Nick Mason, who did some of the Dark Side shows)

Most people here spend many times that on cell service for a month that gets you what exactly? Paying that to see a killer band is actually very cheap IMO.

Everything in the whole damn world.

Sure but honestly we spend what a ticket costs no problem on stuff all the time, why not spend it on an entire evening of something you enjoy? To me and evening out for about $100 aint bad at all, fuck I have dropped more than that some night in an hour at a bar

Some fans will fly just to see a show if it's their favorite band playing a specific venue (or maybe it's the only show they're doing that year) and worry about money issues later, sell and pawn off anything they can get money off of. Some people will make the trek to see a band at its "hometown gig" because the show could turn out to be something they'd never get to see at home. Plus it makes for a nice vacation.

I've been to some special shows that I know I would never experience anywhere else, and had to travel to see it. Or if the band came around because they were from there, then I lucked out with the "special show". I've seen a few shows like that, and I know without a doubt, I could've seen the same show in another town the day before or day after and you could tell they were playing a "one of many" show.

To me it's also about something you're going to remember being at. If it's not going to be that big of a deal to see the show, then there's no point in spending the money.

Ok, so when I saw GNR at Wembley in 2006, I paid £40 exactly. A hefty fee, considering CD wasn't out, this was the first tour in years, and then Axl walks offstage towards the end. Combined with 2 shit support acts, this was a bit of a con.

Now, to see them at the O2 (A venue which, besides your Aerosmiths and Bon Jovi's, sells reasonably priced tickets, ranging from about £25 up to £40 for a normal gig), would cost me upwards of £50, with no hope of standing, probably with more shit support acts, and to hear a performance, which judging by recent bootlegs, is lacking somewhat.

Apart from a few diehards (which I no longer really count myself in), people will want to hear the classics. GNR will obviously leave a good 90% of people dissapointed with the setlist, and leave most people feeling like they've been robbed.

I really don't want to piss and moan, but it breaks my heart that I don't physically have the cash to go along and see a band I'm a fan of. Guns N Roses in today's world, are not very relevant, nor is the new material popular. And while the venues may be selling out quicker than I can type, the price will not match the performance, nor the imminent lateness onstage (which I'm sorry, but it has no place in today's gigs), and the band will probably come under a lot of criticism for the gigs.

Not to be s dick, but then don't go if you feel that way about GnR.

I spent $50 on Roger Water tickets.....in the nose bleeds. Closer seats and GA were $120. That's something you should be complaining about.

Not really. He goes above and beyond as far as the stage show goes and the spectacle he creates. He also played around 25 songs every night on the Wall Tour, and has released a preliminary setlist for the up-coming Wall Tour that while not final, figures to be in the 25-28 song range.

You know Roger will never mail it in and progressively cut the show down as the tour goes on. You pay a premium, but you at least know you are getting the works on a nightly basis.

After starting out with a bang as far as the setlist goes last tour, Axl started getting lazy and was down to 17-18 songs by the end of the tour.

Roger might be expensive, but you never get the bare minimum out of him either. It is probably why the tour is continuously having to add nights and can charge an arm and a leg. People are willing and happy to pay when they know they are getting their money's worth.

Lets face it, Azoff is right.

The music business is a business, and people have to get paid. You can't download all your music for nothing and then expect ticket prices to stay the same. You can't have it every way.

These three England shows all sold out fairly comfortably this time at £40, I'm sure they will do at £50.

I think £50 is fairly reasonable, Robert Plant tickets are £50 for his UK tour.

Another thing you have to realise is that the ticket price hasn't really increased that much since 2006; tickets for the 2010 tour are £45, what brings it to over £50 are the Ticketmaster fees. In 2006 Ticketmaster never showed you the full price including fees they told you the face value but there were complaints and now the page tells you how much with fees the tickets cost. So really tickets have only gone up £5 which isn't much.

£50 including fees isn't extortionate, I got a ticket and booked a night in a hotel for less than it would cost me to see Aerosmith or the Stones and the Stones haven't really got their original lineup anyway.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Going to concerts,for a starving student has never been easy...ever.

I can remember a few times when I was younger,asking for tickets as birthday/Christmas presents,otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see some shows I really wanted to see.

fucking boohoo.. :rolleyes:

The music business is a business, and people have to get paid. You can't download all your music for nothing and then expect ticket prices to stay the same. You can't have it every way.

These three England shows all sold out fairly comfortably this time at £40, I'm sure they will do at £50.

To be fair I'm gussing Axl worksin dollard and once you count the slump in Sterling £50 is not too shabby.

That said no way did the 06 shows I went to sell out. Hammersmith was prolly 80-90% full and there were loads of tickets going outside.

You just gotta play chicken with the touts, once the show is over the tickets are worth nothing so you do have the upper hand (kinda).

I went to the first night of the Wembley show too, again no way was it sold out shed leads of tickets available my brother got in for £30.

To be fair I'm gussing Axl worksin dollard and once you count the slump in Sterling £50 is not too shabby.

That said no way did the 06 shows I went to sell out. Hammersmith was prolly 80-90% full and there were loads of tickets going outside.

You just gotta play chicken with the touts, once the show is over the tickets are worth nothing so you do have the upper hand (kinda).

I went to the first night of the Wembley show too, again no way was it sold out shed leads of tickets available my brother got in for £30.

Pretty much what I said in another thread, good one on your brother, he gets a cheap ticket and a tout gets punished for his greed by selling at a loss ;)

A friend and his brother played chicken with touts outside a Manchester NIN gig last year and got them at face value, also prob cuz they waited until after JA had finished (I chastised him for this recently, but then again I wasn't a Jane's fan at the time either).

I really don't want to piss and moan, but it breaks my heart that I don't physically have the cash to go along and see a band I'm a fan of.

How old are you? You can't earn those £50 to attend GNR show? :shock:

In Moscow tickets cost 200$ on average and we did't complain

I really don't want to piss and moan, but it breaks my heart that I don't physically have the cash to go along and see a band I'm a fan of.

I'm 18, and if you read an earlier post of mine, you'll see why I can't afford it.

I'm 18, and if you read an earlier post of mine, you'll see why I can't afford it.

oh sorry!

i've read only 3 pages of this thread...