"Better" no longer a setlist staple

bacardimayne

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better is one of my favorite songs off the album, but its always sounded horrible live. Any live version I've heard Axl seems to be out of breath about 30 seconds into it. Shame, cuz I think better as a first single would have done a lot better than chinese. Its a great song.

He sings the "I Never Wanted You To Be..." section differently in this video, it sounds cool.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GIGaFAN82#p/u

He's done that since S. America. I think he can't do the high scream each night anymore. :(

I don't know about anymore, but maybe from time to time, he's just not in the mood to do certain songs. Maybe he knows certain songs might blow out his voice and if he's not feeling up to it, might affect the next few shows he has to do. Why drop the new ones and not the old ones, I don't know.

"I Never Wanted You To Be..." ..that whole part of the song is awful.

Its his fitness which holds him back on this song, this tour.

Best Performance: LA 06:

Rock am ring was good but he was too busy with fan interaction (which is a good exuse) to fully concentrate on singing.

I get the impression his mind wants to do one thing, and his body can't cope / keep up like it used to.

You'd think he'd be down the gym more often. Even during the UYI tour he worked out.

There's only about another 30 shows to play. About 60hrs of work. Maybe be just wants to get through it.

Edited by star

He sings the "I Never Wanted You To Be..." section differently in this video, it sounds cool.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GIGaFAN82#p/u

He's done that since S. America. I think he can't do the high scream each night anymore. :(

I don't know about anymore, but maybe from time to time, he's just not in the mood to do certain songs. Maybe he knows certain songs might blow out his voice and if he's not feeling up to it, might affect the next few shows he has to do. Why drop the new ones and not the old ones, I don't know.

Probably cuz some of the new songs really really suck... like the first thirty seconds of Better.. the baby talk just soounds so wrong.

http://www.youtube.c...r/GIGaFAN82#p/u

Probably cuz some of the new songs really really suck... like the first thirty seconds of Better.. the baby talk just soounds so wrong.

Oh here we go, let's bash Better in all the threads! rolleyes.gif

Definitely kind of weak they aren't playing Better anymore.

By my count it looks like they only played 16 songs tonight. For what Axl is charging he can do better than that. I don't know why, but it seems like if you don't catch them at the beginning of a tour where they seem to play more, you get the mailed in version where he does the bare minimum as it seems he is doing now.

You hit the nail right on the head IMO. It has seemed that if you catch a gnr tour early its the longest set with the biggest amount of different songs. But as tours go on voices get worn out..etc... But it does suck nonetheless.

Better live sucks.

have you seen it live??

Yes. Axl can't do it anymore. They played after Sorry in Sao Paulo. I'd rather hear more Shackler's and Don't Cry. IRS is strong too.

Axl's voice as at it's absolute worst in Sao Paulo. Look at a "Better" from Canada or the Asia tour.

trying hard to remember but wasen't that gig the time his throat was fucked up? After the "Riot" at some bar

Is it was. Axl even rants about the riot and then says he didn't show up at the bar cause his throat wasn't all that good and he wanted to save it for the show with the fans. Then he apologizes for not being able to hit all his high notes.

I got Better in Brasilia and it was absolutely excelent, imo.

By my count it looks like they only played 16 songs tonight. For what Axl is charging he can do better than that. I don't know why, but it seems like if you don't catch them at the beginning of a tour where they seem to play more, you get the mailed in version where he does the bare minimum as it seems he is doing now.

You hit the nail right on the head IMO. It has seemed that if you catch a gnr tour early its the longest set with the biggest amount of different songs. But as tours go on voices get worn out..etc... But it does suck nonetheless.

Eddie Vedder is only 4 or 5 years younger than Axl and Pearl Jam is still belting out 2.5 hours shows and he sounds great. PJ's toured A LOT more than Axl has over the last 15 years. Axl has no excuse except that he still moves around on stage too much for his age and it's having a negative effect. At 30 yrs of age it's doable at 48 he's got to bring it down a notch so that his vocals don't suffer.

Eddie Vedder is only 4 or 5 years younger than Axl and Pearl Jam is still belting out 2.5 hours shows and he sounds great. PJ's toured A LOT more than Axl has over the last 15 years. Axl has no excuse except that he still moves around on stage too much for his age and it's having a negative effect. At 30 yrs of age it's doable at 48 he's got to bring it down a notch so that his vocals don't suffer.

Axl's singing voice is MUCH different than Eddies.