Where to start with Iron Maiden....

Towelie

Priest are honestly an early version of Maiden. I love both, but prefer Maiden myself.

Priest's best albums are Painkiller, Screaming for Vengeance, and Defenders of the Faith

Try checking out these songs:

Painkiller

A Touch Of Evil

Electric Eye

Hell Bent For Leather

Living After Midnight

Get powerslave or The Number Of The Beast first

Try youtubing these songs:

The Number Of The Beast

The Trooper

Aces High

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Fear Of The Dark

Powerslave

Brave New World

Run to the hills

Can i play with madness

2 of their best

lol no.

There's really no "bad" starting point for Maiden, other than the Blaze albums (The X-Factor and Virtual XI). Some albums may be less accessible than others for a first time listener,namely Somewhere In Time and the post-2000 albums: Brave New World, Dance Of Death, A Matter Of Life And Death, and The Final Frontier. I'd say probably start with Iron Maiden, Piece Of Mind or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. Killers would also be a decent starting point. Number Of The Beast is ridiculously overrated, and the middle songs on Powerslave are very hit-or-miss with everyone (I personally think they're great, but most people think they're shit). A live album would also be a good starting point. Flight 666 is their most well rounded live album, in the sense that the vocals are good, performances are tight, and it has a great sound. Live After Death is an absolute classic, but the recording itself is a little underwhelming, and Bruce's voice was in rough shape when the album was recorded. That said, it is still my favorite live album of all time. Rock In Rio would be another good one to start with.

I'd say start with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Powerslave. Two of their best albums and probably their two best received album overall.

As for Judas Priest, I'm actually a big fan of their earlier stuff. Sin After Sin, Sad Wings of Destiny, Killing Machine, and Stained Glass are four superb albums.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

For Maiden, I'd listen to 1980 - Iron Maiden, 1981 - Killers, 1982 - The Number of the Beast, 1983 - Piece of Mind, 1984 - Powerslave, 1985 - Live After Death, 1986 - Somewhere in Time and 1988 - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. All their other albums sucks. All of these albums has got several bad songs. But the good ones are really, really good. 1992 - Fear Of The Dark has got two good songs. The titletrack and one more, which I don't remember what the name is.

I personally like Maiden more than Judas. My favourite albums by them are 1980 - British Steel, 1982 - Screaming For Vengeance, 1990 - Painkiller and the best of all, 2005 - Angel of Retribution.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

For Maiden, I'd listen to 1980 - Iron Maiden, 1981 - Killers, 1982 - The Number of the Beast, 1983 - Piece of Mind, 1984 - Powerslave, 1985 - Live After Death, 1986 - Somewhere in Time and 1988 - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. All their other albums sucks.

The X Factor, Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter Of Life and Death, and The Final Frontier would like a word with you....

For Maiden, I'd listen to 1980 - Iron Maiden, 1981 - Killers, 1982 - The Number of the Beast, 1983 - Piece of Mind, 1984 - Powerslave, 1985 - Live After Death, 1986 - Somewhere in Time and 1988 - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. All their other albums sucks.

The X Factor, Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter Of Life and Death, and The Final Frontier would like a word with you....

TXF is decent at best. But every album since BNW is nothing short of classic.

TXF is decent at best. But every album since BNW is nothing short of classic.

Bingo.

But I think TXF is too dark and probably prever VXI

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

They all sucks. Or well, I haven't heard more than one song from the last one, but I can imagine how it sounds.

They all sucks. Or well, I haven't heard more than one song from the last one, but I can imagine how it sounds.

there's crap on the ones you mentioned as well, the first album is terribly played, badly produced, unlistenable, Killers just doesn't sound like Maiden, Beast is only good with the songs people know (Hallowed, Beast, Hills), Piece Of Mind only has 2 good songs, Powerslave is overrated, Somewhere In Time has way too much synth, and Seventh Son has no standout tracks. :shrugs:

Overall 80s Maiden had its moments, but is nowhere near as great as people make it sound.

Try TFF, El Dorado sounds NOTHING like the rest of the album. TFF is easily their most creative and original album to date.

Killers just doesn't sound like Maiden

on the contrary

If we want to get into technicalities I agree with this. Anything post Killers doesn't sound like Maiden as first two albums were much more raw and punky before Bruce

because raw and punky is exactly what Maiden is known for...

If Paul hadn't been kicked out it might just have been.

They changed the style to go with Bruce's singing which was operatic and melodic

on the contrary

If we want to get into technicalities I agree with this. Anything post Killers doesn't sound like Maiden as first two albums were much more raw and punky before Bruce

They changed the style to go with Bruce's singing which was operatic and melodic

Yes, and that is the sound Maiden is known for, which is why Killers doesn't sound much like Maiden...

on the contrary

Yes, and that is the sound Maiden is known for, which is why Killers doesn't sound much like Maiden...

I know people who stopped listening to Maiden after the first two albums.They thought the Dickinson era was a wank.

They thought it didn't sound like Maiden anymore.

Preferential points of view. :shrugs:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

there's crap on the ones you mentioned as well,

All of these albums has got several bad songs.

Killers are their best album by the way.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I'll have to give the DiAnno albums another try, but I always thought they sucked. What kind of music is that? Fuck it. Long, elaborate songs with 3 guitar solos is what I listen to Maiden for. Sure, I like the occasional fast, energetic track (From Here To Eternity, Can I Play With Madness etc) but not whole albums of that.