Guitarists that can match up to Bucket?

Vincent Vega

All you Bumble apologists make me sick.

Slash - Built the GNR sound with Izzy and Axl and Duff and Steve. The disrespect that this guy gets on a daily basis is just ludicrous. He helped make one of the best albums ever made. PERIOD. I personally find his works post-GNR to be an embarrassment and his conduct unethical and dishonest at best, but fact remains - he made Appetite. Without him that record does not exist. Put aside your bias and bullshit and realize he is one of the all-time greats.

Bucket - This dude is the new Guns N' Roses, are you kidding me? He built the backbone of every song that you heard on Chinese Democracy with help from Pitman, Axl, and Robin. Any music cred or respect for the new GNR was because of this guy yet you exiled him because of what? He wore a fucking mask? You smallminded philistines.

Bumble hasn't done SHIT yet he gets all the praise? Oh that's right, he ruined SR and Rhiad with some elephant noises. Forgot about that. You guys are ridiculous.

When talking about GnR. This is basically true.

However, Bumble hasnt had the chance to shine yet, other than live of course....in which case he BLOWS Bucket or Slash out of the water.

Good lord... you make it like there are worlds apart between Bucket and Bumble live with Guns. I can understand that the person you were replying to is being kind of harsh, and in turn, you say things that might be out of proportion. But its very clear that when Bucket and Bumble were live with Guns, there was not a huge difference in ability. Bucket under bent notes on the November Rain outro in Rock in Rio, Bumble has fudged up a few notes when doing solos. No one blew anyone out of the water live. You're making it out like its Joe Satriani and Fred Durst. Get over your bias, you are the one that started the piss fight. You could have just initially said "In my opinion, i think Bumble is better" and no one would have had issues with it. But instead you had to piss on Bucket at the same time. Notice i have never ever said Bucket is worlds better than Bumble or anything of the nature, i do think Bucket is better, but they are both in the virtuoso class.

I wasn't the one who started it.

"He seems to be like a sloppier version of Bucket with 10 times less the range or talent"

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree Bumble ruined anything, he may not have done much on CD coming in so late, but he didn't ruin it. Some of the stuff he added was cool. But seems like Bucket did write a good deal of the songs? The credits are misleading I think. Without Bumble seems like there would be no tour cos someone has to do Bucket's parts, we can't complain that much.

Buckethead and Bumblefoot are both crazy good guitar players, I don't get why they are getting pitted against each other.

Bucket helped write some amazing songs and solos for GNR, specifically SR, TWAT, and Scraped (assuming that Bucket wrote the riff to that song)

Bumblefoot has a great stage presence and really does some cool stuff live (the most recent acoustic CITR performance in mind).

bumble is my favorite GNR guitarist but some of his parts were un-needed and made the album sound overproduced as did alot of other things. the demos were so exciting to hear and i still feel happy to hear them now, but the final product was overproduced in some parts like Catcher which sounds abit muddled up and missing Mays great Solo and there are quite a few glitches here and there like in scraped theres always one part that sound messed up. but it is a great album There was a time, This i Love and others are perfect. although one song i never listen to is Rhiad.

I love the album but just feel it wasnt finished how it should be

Slash - Built the GNR sound with Izzy and Axl and Duff and Steve. The disrespect that this guy gets on a daily basis is just ludicrous. He helped make one of the best albums ever made. PERIOD. I personally find his works post-GNR to be an embarrassment and his conduct unethical and dishonest at best, but fact remains - he made Appetite. Without him that record does not exist. Put aside your bias and bullshit and realize he is one of the all-time greats.

Bucket - This dude is the new Guns N' Roses, are you kidding me? He built the backbone of every song that you heard on Chinese Democracy with help from Pitman, Axl, and Robin. Any music cred or respect for the new GNR was because of this guy yet you exiled him because of what? He wore a fucking mask? You smallminded philistines.

Bumble hasn't done SHIT yet he gets all the praise? Oh that's right, he ruined SR and Rhiad with some elephant noises. Forgot about that. You guys are ridiculous.

When talking about GnR. This is basically true.

However, Bumble hasnt had the chance to shine yet, other than live of course....in which case he BLOWS Bucket or Slash out of the water.

Good lord... you make it like there are worlds apart between Bucket and Bumble live with Guns. I can understand that the person you were replying to is being kind of harsh, and in turn, you say things that might be out of proportion. But its very clear that when Bucket and Bumble were live with Guns, there was not a huge difference in ability. Bucket under bent notes on the November Rain outro in Rock in Rio, Bumble has fudged up a few notes when doing solos. No one blew anyone out of the water live. You're making it out like its Joe Satriani and Fred Durst. Get over your bias, you are the one that started the piss fight. You could have just initially said "In my opinion, i think Bumble is better" and no one would have had issues with it. But instead you had to piss on Bucket at the same time. Notice i have never ever said Bucket is worlds better than Bumble or anything of the nature, i do think Bucket is better, but they are both in the virtuoso class.

I wasn't the one who started it.

"He seems to be like a sloppier version of Bucket with 10 times less the range or talent"

I see, well Indigo is an idiot, but everything else i said is still valid.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I do have a giggle at the Bucket fans arguing that Bumble's superior technical wizardry means nothing. When I think about some of the Slash/Bucket arguments that occurred around 04/05 on this board...

I guess if you like Bucket's music better than Bumble's, the technical aspect don't mean shit.

And guess what? You're right. It's completely fucking irrelevant.

Guess that's why I'd listen to guys like Slash or Jerry Cantrell over a couple of guitar nerds with bumblebee guitars and kfc buckets any day of the week. :thumbsup:

yes.gif

This +11111111111111

Well said. Welcome to the internet.

FIFTY YEARS IN THE FUTURE:

A guitarist dies and is quite please to find that he ends up standing before the pearly gates of Guitar Heaven. St. Peter shows him in, and gives him a guided tour.

"This is Stevie Ray's room here..." says Peter, and the guitarist is saying "Wow! Stevie Ray!"

"And this is Jimi's room..." and the guitarist is totally over the moon.

Finally Peter shows the guitarist to his own room. Before Peter leaves, he says to him, "I have to ask. Is Buckethead here?" Peter shakes his head sadly and says "I'm afraid he went... the "other" way..."

The guitarist is disappointed but goes to his room and tries to get some sleep. He is woken up in the middle of the night by someone playing and it sounds just like Buckethead. He presses his ear to the wall, and listens more closely. The guitarist is confused as it sounds so much like Buckethead. The next day he tells Peter that he is almost certain that Buckethead's in the next room.

Peter pulls him to one side, and whispers into his ear, "Shhh.... don't tell anyone. That's God. He thinks he's Buckethead"

A guitarist dies and is quite please to find that he ends up standing before the pearly gates of Guitar Heaven. St. Peter shows him in, and gives him a guided tour.

"This is Stevie Ray's room here..." says Peter, and the guitarist is saying "Wow! Stevie Ray!"

Finally Peter shows the guitarist to his own room. Before Peter leaves, he says to him, "I have to ask. Is Buckethead here?" Peter shakes his head sadly and says "I'm afraid he went... the "other" way..."

The guitarist is disappointed but goes to his room and tries to get some sleep. He is woken up in the middle of the night by someone playing and it sounds just like Buckethead. He presses his ear to the wall, and listens more closely. The guitarist is confused as it sounds so much like Buckethead. The next day he tells Peter that he is almost certain that Buckethead's in the next room.

Peter pulls him to one side, and whispers into his ear, "Shhh.... don't tell anyone. That's God. He thinks he's Buckethead"

:shrugs:

what was that?

Edited by moreblack

This is a damn solid post. Have to say I agree totally with your Slash assessment. Axl appears to have been right about Slash's lack of interest in evolving as a guitarist, as we have seen in the work he's done since then, which while decent-good for the most part, really isn't anything special. But Slash had as much to do with AFD as anyone, and it's one of my very favourite albums to this day. In addition, don't forget about his contributions to the Illusions. I can't comment on how hard it was to get him to play on certain songs, but I can comment on what songs were released. And pretty much all my favourite songs on those records are the ones where both he and Axl contributed something special to the song (Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, November Rain).

After Slash left, Axl was stuck in an almost impossible predicament trying to replace him, but still managed to hit it out of the park with Buckethead. It's a damn shame he left, because he made New GNR special in his own way. The work we've heard is great. The problem is, this was a guy who wants to get out there and play all the time, and release music often, stuck in a band that refuses to release any new music, and only tours sporadically.

The amount of shit that Buckethead had to endure because he likes to wear a mask and bucket on stage was beyond ridiculous.

The problem in trying to assess Bumblefoot as a guitarist in GNR is the same problem that caused Bucket to leave. He's in a band that doesn't release any songs. So how the hell can we assess him? I'll say this. He's a great guy, and he can shred. The band needed somebody to play Bucket's parts, which I can't imagine was an easy roll to fill. Bumble can do it. Right now, that's all that matters. Once we hear songs where he was a main contributor in either the guitar parts or the songwriting, we will be able to comment further.

I was never a huge fan of Robin Finck, although I did enjoy his work a lot on that last tour. Richard Fortus and DJ look cool onstage and play their roles very well. They're good guitarists. Once again, hard to say how much of an impact they have on the band in the studio.

Edited by axlsalinger

This is a damn solid post. Have to say I agree totally with your Slash assessment. Axl appears to have been right about Slash's lack of interest in evolving as a guitarist, as we have seen in the work he's done since then, which while decent-good for the most part, really isn't anything special. But Slash had as much to do with AFD as anyone, and it's one of my very favourite albums to this day. In addition, don't forget about his contributions to the Illusions. I can't comment on how hard it was to get him to play on certain songs, but I can comment on what songs were released. And pretty much all my favourite songs on those records are the ones where both he and Axl contributed something special to the song (Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, November Rain).

After Slash left, Axl was stuck in an almost impossible predicament trying to replace him, but still managed to hit it out of the park with Buckethead. It's a damn shame he left, because he made New GNR special in his own way. The work we've heard is great. The problem is, this was a guy who wants to get out there and play all the time, and release music often, stuck in a band that refuses to release any new music, and only tours sporadically.

The amount of shit that Buckethead had to endure because he likes to wear a mask and bucket on stage was beyond ridiculous.

The problem in trying to assess Bumblefoot as a guitarist in GNR is the same problem that caused Bucket to leave. He's in a band that doesn't release any songs. So how the hell can we assess him? I'll say this. He's a great guy, and he can shred. The band needed somebody to play Bucket's parts, which I can't imagine was an easy roll to fill. Bumble can do it. Right now, that's all that matters. Once we hear songs where he was a main contributor in either the guitar parts or the songwriting, we will be able to comment further.

I was never a huge fan of Robin Finck, although I did enjoy his work a lot on that last tour. Richard Fortus and DJ look cool onstage and play their roles very well. They're good guitarists. Once again, hard to say how much of an impact they have on the band in the studio.

Don't have much to say other than I fully agree with this post.

It's a shame that people as prolific as BBF and Bucket and in a band like Guns. If Axl was like Bucket he'd release

five albums a year

I have to admit I've finally succumbed to nostalgia for Buckethead. Yeah he was weird in style but with people like Lady GaGa being huge that kind of shit is acceptable now. And as much as I like Bumble--he's a nice guy, he's a great rhythm player and good at lead parts, IMO, he doesn't compare with Buckethead in terms of soloing or his lead skill. Where Bucket could play almost any style ranging from the rigidly technical to the fluid and emotional, Bumble seems to be a very messy, shred focused player. He seems to be like a sloppier version of Bucket with 10 times less the range or talent. It's like replacing Mick Taylor with Ronnie Wood.

If you had had to pick a replacement, who would you have picked--Who could fill that sort of similar technical meets emotional, wide ranging style?

Thing is noone can be sure who is better in GnR Bucket or Bumble.

Bucket was clearly an integral part of nu-GnR and his stint in the nu-band seems to have been pretty creative, but Bumble has not yet had chance to really shine. From the leaks we heard it seems that much of the album was recorded before he joined and he was restricted to adding embelishments.

To be honest even Bucket only produced one truely sensational solo during his tenure (TWAT) imo.

Ha ha thats a cracker :lol:

Don't have much to say other than I fully agree with this post.

It's a shame that people as prolific as BBF and Bucket and in a band like Guns. If Axl was like Bucket he'd release

five albums a year

Just to pick up about Slash's post guns work only being decent-good it's true.

But Axl and nu-GnR have only produced decent-good material too?

Thats the sad thing the original band had a chemisty that none of them have come close to matching since.

I don't want to get into any Bucketheah v Slash argument but from the material we have heard Slash and Axl worked better together. So even if you can come up with another insanely talented guitarist (and Bucket surely was) it doesn't mean he is going to have chemistry with Axl or the rest of the band,

Edited by Lines&Noses