Vocal Montage in Madagascar: Superfluous?

Count Drugcula

Does anyone find the vocal montage of MLK, Cool Hand Luke and a whole bunch of other people and movies a bit much? The song is a very strong song as is, so I don't see why all of that stuff needed to be added, it just feels like it's hitting you over the head with the song's already clear and simple message.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think with “Chinese Democracy”, it's best to approach it with a “Why not?” mentality. There are a lot of aspects of certain songs which could be perceived to be “unnecessary” (“But I don't want to do it”, the “Scraped” “glitch” etc.), but was Chinese Democracy” itself ever that necessary? I mean, the concept was just destined to be irrational (and that's why I love it).

I think with "Chinese Democracy", it's best to approach it with a "Why not?" mentality. There are a lot of aspects of certain songs which could be perceived to be "unnecessary" ("But I don't want to do it", the "Scraped" "glitch" etc.), but was Chinese Democracy" itself ever that necessary? I mean, the concept was just destined to be irrational (and that's why I love it).

True and wise words.

I don't mind the multifariously multitudinous nature of the song. ; )

We're talking about art here. Would you tell a painter "oh i think that brush stroke there is superfluous"?

I see what yer sayin, but I mean, whatever- like somebody else said you have the means on the interwebz to make your own edit sans "vocal montage."

I like the vocal montage... I think it adds depth to the song... ties in more universal themes...

But what is funny is the RIR3 clip... I just can't stand watching bucket and robin on stage with their outrageous costumes... they played well though!

And what the fuck Axl?? was grabbing the guitar really necessary 3 guitars and two keyboards couldn't quite tackle the challenge?

Too bad they didn't release CD just before RIR3... I think Roy really fucked the whole project when he made Axl n the boyz rerecord everything...

It's actually pretty brilliant, but takes a lot to digest. If you pay attention, the lines seem to alternate between positive and negative, and tell a story through the end. It's something that took a TON of time and care and patience and thought. It's one of the highlights of the album, IMO....

I dig it. I heard it first on MTV in 2002. Thought it the highlight of that performance. I think the mlk audio may be axl's way of trying to pound it home that he is not the guy that the public thought he was when he wrote one n a million. I think it's his attempt to tell people I am not pedudice ( which I truly believe he's not) . Axl always has some motive behind his work. A calculated message that he delivers in a subtle or not way. My first thought was this sounds like newschool zepplin w a hiphop beat. I the mlk speech but I would prefer to her another verse or solo.