Vinyl

chevelle

Any vinyl fans here? The past few months I've gotten a turntable about some vinyls, I'm fairly new to it, but I'm loving how much different some records sound.

big fan man. i got into it about 3 years ago, and i now prefer to get most records i buy on vinyl. the sound is much better, and its always fun going hunting for old records, never knowing what you'l find. today i stumbled upon a copy of layla by derek and the dominos (clapton), something ive been looking for for months

Love it - picked up the Patience 7" a few days ago :D

Appetite and Democracy sound especially good on vinyl I've found... Plus, I love throwin' on the old Alice Cooper, Motley Crue and Led Zep records I've got... I've been into collecting records and such for about 5 years :)

Funny...I think CD sounds like utter shit. Worse than a picture disc.

I've been collecting for 7 or 8 years. I spend more of my money than I'd like to admit on records. Got around 700 or so, about 200 of which are Iron Maiden alone. Other bands I've a pretty good collection of are AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Anthrax, Guns N' Roses, Rush, Black Sabbath. Lot of random albums otherwise.

Edited by Powerage5

Love it - picked up the Patience 7" a few days ago :D

Appetite and Democracy sound especially good on vinyl I've found... Plus, I love throwin' on the old Alice Cooper, Motley Crue and Led Zep records I've got... I've been into collecting records and such for about 5 years :)

Funny...I think CD sounds like utter shit. Worse than a picture disc.

I remember when the album first came out a LOT of people were pissed off because their vinyl's were smudged or scratched, or they skipped all over the place - mine was in perfect condition :shrugs:

yeah CD was terrible on vinyl. I've actually noticed when an album is recorded digitally, it usually doesn't sound as good on vinyl. Older records though sound way better on vinyl. Over the last couple years, I've actually gradually gotten rid of all my cds for the most part. I have everything I want on vinyl or on my computer. Even my car has a connection for my ipod, so I really have no use for cds anymore.

I actually did a speech in college on vinyl vs cds. Basically vinyl sounds better because the groove is an exact mirror image of the sound pattern and the needles travels through the entire thing whereas a cd player takes millions of snapshots of the sound wave with a laser and sends them to the audio output so you're not actually getting the full sound.

I buy new vinyl, and have a bunch of albums from back in the day. I like it, but it will never overtake CD for me. CD is ultimately very convenient, and if you have a really good modern CD player, it will not have the harshness that old players had. But it will have a little bit more bite to the sound, which I actually like. It sounds a little more exciting. Vinyl sounds a little too warmed over for me.

I know the arguments in favor of vinyl as far as sound quality go, but it's not cut and dried. CD has some clear advantages that can't really be argued. No surface noise, greater dynamics, and the disc does not get worn increasingly with each play (CD does not have a needle grinding against a groove). These are some of the main ones.

Edited by KBear

Haha yeah, I can't believe it's not gonna die after all.

Anyway...since I'm pretty new to vinyl, I have a few questions...roughly how many plays does a record last through? I know sound quality deteriorates the more you play it, but how long does it take before it's noticeable? And any suggestions on records that sound pretty different from the CD? I have a few records that sound almost the same, and others that are like listening to a new album, so is there a way for me to find out what's worth getting on vinyl?

Haha yeah, I can't believe it's not gonna die after all.

Anyway...since I'm pretty new to vinyl, I have a few questions...roughly how many plays does a record last through? I know sound quality deteriorates the more you play it, but how long does it take before it's noticeable? And any suggestions on records that sound pretty different from the CD? I have a few records that sound almost the same, and others that are like listening to a new album, so is there a way for me to find out what's worth getting on vinyl?

Take good care of your vinyl and it will be your friend for many a year.

Handle by the edges of course,always return them to the sleeve when your done (don't leave it on the turntable).

And keep an eye on the needle...don't hesitate to replace if you feel it has seen better days.

Not sure if it's your thing...but Nevermind the Bollocks vinyl shits all over the cd...big heaping dumps over the cd in fact. :tongue2:

The 180 gram 'back to black' records that are out are pretty good - that's like re-released 'classic' albums on higher quality vinyl, i've got AFD, UYI 1 and a couple metallica records like that and they sound great.

I always thought those Back to Black reissues have a muddy sound, compared to old, original vinyls. :shrugs:

• 3 months later...