Why do people want a reunion?

ssiscool

I've been thinking about this lately. Why do people want a reunion.

The simple fact is as follows. It won't be good. It'll be 5 people who are just playing together.

The chemistry is long gone. And that's what made GNR great. The onstage chemistry. Okay so Slash Duff and Matt might still have chemistry what with VR ect but it would be them against Axl and Izzy.

You look at how tight the band were in 1987 and compare it to 1993. Even then they were doing their own thing onstage.

It just woulden't work.

Same reason wanted to see an Eagles reunion, Kiss reunion, Floyd reunion, Crue reunion, VH reunion, etc etc etc.

People want to see the band that recorded the songs they love. Part of it's nostalgia, but each of the bands I've mentioned were one of the biggest bands in rock at one point. Why wouldn't people want to see them again?

Also, why would the VR guys be "against" Izzy? Izzy wrote with the VR guys and seems to get along with everybody.

Edited by Bards

I worded that wrong but what i ment was that They've not preformed together since the early days of VR in 2002. Where as the VR guys have played together more so still have the chemistry.

wow what a stupid question to ask

i want to see a reunion because what we have today is absolutely horrible and a disgrace to the gnr name

Pure opinion.

I personally have no desire to see a reunion because I want to see a band that is enjoying themselves rather than a band who's only in it for money. Prime example of this: Stone Temple Pilots. Back in 2008 the DeLeo brothers were quick to say the reunion was nothing but a cash grab tour, and the band had no serious intention of a lasting reunion. Somewhere align the way, they changed their minds, they continued touring/recording because they enjoy playing with each other. Compare the live performances in 2008 to 2011. Night and day difference. I'll admit that the band has looked better in the past, but I'd be hard pressed to find any sizable amount of time where they had the consistency they currently have in their sound.

If the original Guns reunited, it would certainly be like STP circa '08. The problems are too deeply rooted for the members to get past them and genuinely enjoy playing with one another.

i think most people want them to RESOLVE their differences then find that chemistry again. But I agree, if they're just going to play on stage and hate to see each other the rest of the time then it would be a total waste.

Exactly.

wow what a stupid question to ask

How is it stupid?

i want to see a reunion because what we have today is absolutely horrible and a disgrace to the gnr name

That's your opinion. Don't get me wrong i love the original line-up and would pay anything and fly anywhere in the world to see them preform a show. But it seems like it would be a complete disappointment. It would be 5 people doing a job. Not just doing what they love like they did in 1987.

And what we have today is miles better than the 2001/2002 line-up and if anything it is closer to the illusions lineup.

I assume you're talking about slash playing sweet child at the superbowl with fergie?

less said about that the better

Same reason wanted to see an Eagles reunion, Kiss reunion, Floyd reunion, Crue reunion, VH reunion, etc etc etc.

People want to see the band that recorded the songs they love. Part of it's nostalgia, but each of the bands I've mentioned were one of the biggest bands in rock at one point. Why wouldn't people want to see them again?

I agree. GnR were one of the biggest bands of all time. As long as they are all alive, people will want a reunion. Whether its a tour, new album, or just a few shows. It would be huge. Too bad Axl wants nothing to do with it.

As far as them not getting along on a reunion tour, no big deal. Keith Richards hates Mick, but onstage its incredible to see the Stones. Joe Perry can't stand Steven Tyler, but they both know they need each other.

• 4 weeks later...

The simple fact is as follows. It won't be good. It'll be 5 people who are just playing together.

The chemistry is long gone. And that's what made GNR great. The onstage chemistry. Okay so Slash Duff and Matt might still have chemistry what with VR ect but it would be them against Axl and Izzy.

You look at how tight the band were in 1987 and compare it to 1993. Even then they were doing their own thing onstage.

It just woulden't work.

There would certainly be just as much chemistry as it is in the current band. Nothing to it, just a bunch of totally different musicians playing covers of a once great rock band, only led by the frontman of the original band.

I would take a reunion in a heartbeat. GNR without Slash is like GNR without Axl.. not enough!

• 2 weeks later...

It just woulden't work.

The fact is these guys are better together than they are apaprt.

Judging by Ghost on slash's last album he and Izzy still have the chemistry. Plus while the first VR album ws good as was, with Axl on board I think it would have been sublime.

Plus Duff was awesome when he joined GnR for the London show last year, that was without the best performance of YCBM I've seen from the nu-band by far. and I say that having seen the old band in 91, + the nu band in 02,06 and 10 plus loads of others via video.

The simple fact is the nu-band does not have the charisma or attitude of the old band and never will (largely because I don't think Axl wants them to).

When I see nu-GnR its to see Axl, but if I had the choice between nu-GnR and classic GnR it's be the classic line up every time, they were imo the best rock band ever and I sincerely hope I get a chance o see them together again before one or more of them dies. Or even better have them record together.

In short I blieve the old band wrote the best music I haveever heard and were much better live.

Edited by Lines&Noses

A lot of bands out there are made up of individuals, and there's plenty of band members who don't socialize with each other backstage.

Stewart Copeland said about The Police, that there's a dynamic that kicks in when the three of them get together and play. I've seen Janes Addiction a handful of times, and there was something about Eric being a part of the band that made it flow differently than when they had other bassists in the band.

If Axl, Slash, Steven, Izzy and Duff went on stage tonight, it would immediately click, even without a planned setlist. Just a surprise gig for a small crowd, or even if GNR were headlining a festival, as soon as people saw Slash on stage with Axl, the audience would completely lose their minds. It would be like Gilmour showing up at Roger Waters' concert and you hear the roar of the crowd as soon as they realized who it was.

They'd prob. sound a little rusty and off, but even back in the day they didn't always play a perfect show. There's plenty of missed marks, feedback, bad notes, etc. They'd just start shouting songs out and commence playing them. 2-3 songs in, it would immediately come back to them, and it's the little things that make that spark happen.

I've said why a reunion tour wouldn't happen - Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven would want to be reinstated as business partners if they were going to do more than a one off show, or get paid on a huge salary where Axl would have to take a cut, but make it up by charging fans big money for tickets. Duff might be the only one who would work with the current lineup of GNR without the legal BS issues. I'm sure he told Axl about the book he's writing, and assuring him it's not going to be anything damaging.

Robert Plant has a younger band that he can do his Led Zep songs with, but people would be selling their bone marrow and kidney to see Page, Plant, Jones and Jason Bonham.

The original members of GNR could easily go in the studio and write new music in days. I have no doubt about that. 2 weeks and they'd easily have 6 new songs.

They've been professional musicians for close to 30 years. Axl has a backlog of songs. It's no different than Tom Morello saying to Zach "give me the songs from the solo stuff you've been working on since Clinton was in office" and turning it into a new Rage album, mixed in with some of his own stuff that didn't get used for Audioslave or his solo material.

I'm fine with Axl carrying on GNR because he still sings the songs well, but when Slash is a huge identifying part of the GNR image, it is an issue why Axl uses that name to play arenas. I liked Van Halen during all the eras, but I still thought the classic era was still their best. I like Chinese Democracy but love Appetite and the Illusions more. It's not even about waxing nostalgic for the good old days, it's a matter of the members of GNR still being alive, able to play the songs and deliver a show to a fanbase that wasn't born when they were together, and showing off that they can still do it.

I agree. GnR were one of the biggest bands of all time. As long as they are all alive, people will want a reunion. Whether its a tour, new album, or just a few shows. It would be huge. Too bad Axl wants nothing to do with it.

As far as them not getting along on a reunion tour, no big deal. Keith Richards hates Mick, but onstage its incredible to see the Stones. Joe Perry can't stand Steven Tyler, but they both know they need each other.

I didn't get the impression the Stones hated each other.

Keith pretty much said in his book he misses the friendship they used to have, but I think it's like most siblings when they get older, you start having your own families, your own lives, and sometimes your parents and siblings kind of fall by the wayside unless something major happens. Keith has a pretty large family, but when they write songs together, I'm sure that's the time they get along the best. They don't tour or record new music just for the money.

David Byrne has his reasons for not reuniting Talking Heads, Morrissey has his reasons not to reunite The Smiths.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to see a reunion because the band I am seeing now is not Guns N' Roses.

Thats a truth,but i dont want to see a reunion with slash at 60 yo without hair,axl at 63 fat as cow,duff to looK like a skeleton etc,reunion never gonna happern any time soon,the priority of Axl is CD II,tours for CD II,maybe a CD III...or anything else for the next 10 years and more.

Edited by Majestic Beast

I want a reunion because when Slash and Axl are together, they as good as it gets... they are etting up there in age but I think that if you got the the original Guns together they would tear your face of live.. I would go to atleast 3 shows..

It just woulden't work.

I see what you're saying but if Axl and Slash were to bury the hatchet there may be revived chemistry, different band but I saw the Sex Pistols original line-up and thought they were amazing. Unfortunately I have never seen Guns live and would love the chance.