Checkmate

SmellThePoppies

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checkmate is The General...I can't remember.

No, Axl said in the chats that the working title was Jackie Chan.

and agreed that clip sounds cooler than the whole Libertad album.

i'm so curious about this song, i usually get like shivers when i listen to the clip

CHECKMATE BY GUNS N ROSES

Guitar Intro

All cautions made, every chance was given, no effort spared, to save what we had*

or it would take, away the light we given, once it is ours, were free from this land

dont ever expect me to turn up this late

mother fucker' in this game, its checkmate

*interlude*

as i then ran, as fast as i could, memories both friends, escaped from my hand

ive got a gun, now the bloods on my hands, everything you see is here till the end

*solo*

lies that ive told, lies that ive given

lies that ive sold, lies that have driven

me mad to the top of my own head

me mad to the top of my head

at night sugar, im sorry if i turn up late

well now honey, my turn, check mate

all dozens slayed, every chance, one given, dont ever spin ,just say what we had

or it would take, away the light we given, once it is ours, were free from this land

Outro + Solo

All Thoughts in lane (all thoughts in lane)

every chance we gave (ever chance we gave)

dont ever spare (dont ever spare)

im here till the end (checkmate)

im here till the end

im here till the end

found this online...probably fake...

definitely fake!

Dont see how someone can determine its a baddass song out of that short clip. I hope it is though. Sounds like a four chord rocker like chinese dem.

Anyone know were that clip originated?

The clip means there is more than likely a whole song out there.

Whiever you are come of the goods!

not at all impressed if i'm being honest

So you joined a forum to talk about a band you don't like? Weird.

I think one of the main reasons people like the clip is because it sounds like old-school rock and roll. While I loved the last album, I'm hoping the next one has some more straight forward rock-and-roll (think Jungle, Nightrain, YCBM) and checkmate sounds like it might be just that.

And I still think there was another longer version out there. NOT the relooped one that just repeats itself. I swear that right after it was first leaked, somebody had a version that had 3-4 more lines of singing. Again, NOT the looped version. The ending was different words.

I think one of the main reasons people like the clip is because it sounds like old-school rock and roll. While I loved the last album, I'm hoping the next one has some more straight forward rock-and-roll (think Jungle, Nightrain, YCBM) and checkmate sounds like it might be just that.

And I still think there was another longer version out there. NOT the relooped one that just repeats itself. I swear that right after it was first leaked, somebody had a version that had 3-4 more lines of singing. Again, NOT the looped version. The ending was different words.

I agree with him, it doesn't sound like much. It sounds like old-school rock in a bad way. Like something Sebastian Back would be singing on a solo album. Not surprised it didn't make the cut for CD.

There was one with "all in good faith" and then the end of the clip. I even heard it today on YT, but I can't find it ATM.

Guest siliconmessiah

There was one with "all in good faith" and then the end of the clip. I even heard it today on YT, but I can't find it ATM.

Yes. There is/have been a longer clip of Checkmate (No Love Remains) afloat out there and it had the words of "all in good faith" in it.

Edited by siliconmessiah

My Rock in Rio t-shirt:

FRONT

znlld4.jpg

BACK

rockinrioshirt2.jpg

:shades:

Awesome.

Now, if that was the real Rio shirt, I would be pumped.

can someone put up a link for the clip that we know is GNR? i wa son you tube and cant find a 16 second clip? Thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIABzOU37m0

Its Looped twice.

How is this good? I love Axl and all but this sounds no better than any generic rock song you'd find today. Obviously its only 16 seconds, but why is there a thread for THIS?

Why is there a thread for this? Because it's a 16 second clip of a unreleased song, and GN'R mentioned somethnig about having some song's laying around in regard's to surprises at Rock In Rio this year. This song is sort of a myth in GNR' world, and this leak has ben around forever. It's only now that they have a chance to release it, or play it live. Besides, that 16 secnod's get's me pumped for new stuff and it kickes ass.

Seeing as though your track-record on disliking anything New GN'R, I'm not shocked you don't like it.

It sound's like the more heavier song's on ther Illusion album's, like YCBM, or Right Next Door to Hell.

And I really hope they play it at Rock In Rio.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The "Checkmate" snippet is concrete evidence "Chinese Democracy" I is merely the introduction of a thriller.

can someone put up a link for the clip that we know is GNR? i wa son you tube and cant find a 16 second clip? Thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IIABzOU37m0

Its Looped twice.

How is this good? I love Axl and all but this sounds no better than any generic rock song you'd find today. Obviously its only 16 seconds, but why is there a thread for THIS?

How is this good?

I think the main reason this song has stirred so much up in the GNR fan community is it sounds very much like a vintage Appetite style rocker------one that has the promise of a killer hook, some vintage Axl screams, and some of that Appetite filth all rolled into one.

Personally I love this clip and can't fucking wait to hear the entire song. This clip, coupled with bits and pieces from the Axl Chats, as well as encouragement by several of the songs on CD (Better, Sorry, TIL), all lead me to fervently believe that Axl's still got an Ace or 2 up his sleeve and we've not yet heard the "Big Guns"-----and I would bet $$$ that this song is one of 'em.

P.S.... Guns should open Rio with this song.......what an entrance that would be!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by JayceAce23