Checkmate

SmellThePoppies

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always found it amusing how everyone gushed over the 16 second clip, and went on about how it will bring GNR back to the top of the mountain. I'm a huge Axl fan, but c'mon, we've heard better. I would take most of anything off of Chinese Democracy over that clip. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to hear the full song. I just don't agree with people that say it's the best thing new GNR has done, or it has the most promise. It sounds dated, which is probably why it did not make CD.

imo it would be cool if Axl:

a) ditched and re-recorded the vocals to capture his current voice (but also didn't stress about imperfections, basically didn't CD the vocals....i like Axl's voice with some rough imperfections in it)

B) Got the current band to re-record it, to make it more relevant and whatever guitarists he is using to play different bits...and not all the guitar players playing the same riffs together, just sounds rough and basic like this(no i'm not a slashite)

c) Does the above, plus whatever (essentially re record with the new guys), don't take it seriously and aim for ultimate perfection, fucking up the sound. Keep it live and raw, and it'll be fucking mean.

my input......... because i know what's best and produce awesome albums on a regular basis :P

edit: oh and the vocal melody is cool....in just this clip..listening once, and its catchy as fuck. Cool sign!

Edited by hudsonsaul

Guest gunns5

I think CD II will be too advanced for our time, you will have to put a mask on your face and a bucket on your head to really understand it.

My guess is that it's going to be a great fuckin' album. I only hope none of Bucket's and Robin's work will be left out from it.

I really liked those styles together in Chinese Democracy, but I love Bumble too and Ashba can bring, I think, his own cool feel to it as well.

Edited by Rovim

I just relistened to that checkmate clip again. How GREAT is it? Let's send Axl our love and support for the song and maybe he'll go "Damn Randy was right!"

Come on mygnrforum

Profress your love the song that is CHECKMATE

I'll admit that it sounds better than anything on Chi-dem, but its still a pretty generic sounding riff, and the lyrics seem to be about relationship heartache...seriously??? in a rock number??

Where is axls balls? Where are the fun lyrics which are full of attitude from the past?? 'pretty tied up', 'wecome to the jungle'

axl has lost his balls.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I have no doubts whatsoever that "Chinese Democracy" II would be my favourite album and the greatest record of all time. "Chinese Democracy" I is merely an apple on a tree of many.

Checkmate is The General...I can't remember.

No, part of the general was played before CD live last year, and I don't see it being the same song as this 16 second clip from Checkmate.

imo it would be cool if Axl:

a) ditched and re-recorded the vocals to capture his current voice (but also didn't stress about imperfections, basically didn't CD the vocals....i like Axl's voice with some rough imperfections in it)

B) Got the current band to re-record it, to make it more relevant and whatever guitarists he is using to play different bits...and not all the guitar players playing the same riffs together, just sounds rough and basic like this(no i'm not a slashite)

c) Does the above, plus whatever (essentially re record with the new guys), don't take it seriously and aim for ultimate perfection, fucking up the sound. Keep it live and raw, and it'll be fucking mean.

my input......... because i know what's best and produce awesome albums on a regular basis :P

edit: oh and the vocal melody is cool....in just this clip..listening once, and its catchy as fuck. Cool sign!

My sentiments exactly