The London Docklands 2002 Rant

Jordan Rose

Now, there's been some concern that if we play 5 or 6 new songs then there can't be that many more on the album. Au contrere, mon frere. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs and about 10 extra tracks. And when the record company feel that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. And by that time, I should be done with the third album. So, we'll see if all goes well, boys and girls, and if Uncle Axl proves to be an asshole, we'll have to see the jury's still out.

When they play Rio this year it will be over 9 years since Axl said that and it's a sure bet they'll be playing the same set with the same 'new' songs plus Sorry and This I Love which seem to be the only others he feels able to sing live on a regular basis. And it's all because of 'the biz' according to Axl.

I'm not bitching, just reflecting. Axl, Bucket, Robin and Brain could have taken over the world by now and instead Axl's a decade older and running out of time to have a decent stab at singing The General live before his voice starts deteriorating.

I'm a CD fanboy. The live versions since 01.01.01, the leaks and the album itself have all but saved my life over the last 10 years. If I could only take one record to a desert island it would be CD. Doesn't change the reality that being a long term supporter of Axl has turned out to be massively disappointing and depressing.

I'm a CD fanboy. The live versions since 01.01.01, the leaks and the album itself have all but saved my life over the last 10 years. If I could only take one record to a desert island it would be CD. Doesn't change the reality that being a long term supporter of Axl has turned out to be massively disappointing and depressing.

Why take any cd to a deserted island? Bring a knife!

and a fit bird and some jager.

and a fit bird and some jager.

With a knife? Combined with the Jager, that could get messy very quickly

On topic: Who knows about Rio. So far each one has signaled the start of something new....signs from DJ are promising, Axl still seems to have fire in his belly musically, there's now the Azoff lawsuit settled with terms including tour plans (It said so in the announcement), and now news of more dates.

If nothing else, at least GN'R are active. More thn could be said for 03-05. There may be no confirmation of an album, but there's at least confirmation of future plans.

Now, there's been some concern that if we play 5 or 6 new songs then there can't be that many more on the album. Au contrere, mon frere. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs and about 10 extra tracks. And when the record company feel that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. And by that time, I should be done with the third album. So, we'll see if all goes well, boys and girls, and if Uncle Axl proves to be an asshole, we'll have to see the jury's still out.

When they play Rio this year it will be over 9 years since Axl said that and it's a sure bet they'll be playing the same set with the same 'new' songs plus Sorry and This I Love which seem to be the only others he feels able to sing live on a regular basis. And it's all because of 'the biz' according to Axl.

I'm not bitching, just reflecting. Axl, Bucket, Robin and Brain could have taken over the world by now and instead Axl's a decade older and running out of time to have a decent stab at singing The General live before his voice starts deteriorating.

O.k. Great. Thanks for sharing.

Ali

Everyone knows the band is dysfunctional and Axl's word means nothing whether they admit it or not, this is just another of many examples and it really isn't anything new. You can read it over and over again but it doesn't mean a damn thing

Everyone knows the band is dysfunctional and Axl's word means nothing whether they admit it or not, this is just another of many examples and it really isn't anything new. You can read it over and over again but it doesn't mean a damn thing

+1

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl promised too much (the whole idea got incredibly complicated when really it should have been kept to one rational agenda of an album) - you can dwell on the unhappening of the "great Chinese Democracy ambition" or realise it was inspired by a genuine sincerity and enthusiasm (the reality rogue elements got involved also didn't help). The constant considering of "what could have been" or Axl's general rationality is actually unhealthy and futile.

The pessimism is needless - clearly Axl is attempting to rebuild Guns N' Roses again and will apply his knowledge of past mistakes to the present intention which is evidently a new beginning (for this we should be appreciative and optimistic given the horrible circumstances in which "Chinese Democracy" "dropped" - the dejection must have been incomprehensible in terms of intensity).

The enthusiasm of figures like Dj seems to be rubbing off on Axl so I don't really see why we should repeatedly introduce the doom and gloom of past events to this exciting and prosperous period in the ever unfolding history of GN'R.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

..and what about all that stuff about The Blues and Madgascar simply being B side tracks

- implying they might not make the album, as there were supior tracks due anytime soon :D

Edited by star

I've brought that up before. Where are the big guns? What did he consider to be the "big guns" that were going to be singles if all the songs that they were playing on tour are the same ones that got released as singles that he said himself were NOT going to be singles? (sorry for the run on) Why weren't they on the album?

I've brought that up before. Where are the big guns? What did he consider to be the "big guns" that were going to be singles if all the songs that they were playing on tour are the same ones that got released as singles that he said himself were NOT going to be singles? (sorry for the run on) Why weren't they on the album?

All subjective, isn't it.

But i'd say TWAT, Better and This I Love were fairly 'big guns' (Even if TIL wasn't meant to be on the album initialy)

..and what about all that stuff about The Blues and Madgascar simply being B side tracks

- implying they might not make the album, as there were supior tracks due anytime soon :D

He NEVER said that they were B sides, that's just you TROLLING. He said they weren't considering putting them out as singles or anything.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

There was clearly a point where Axl's mentality changed from "wanting to drop a last great album" to ensuring the sustainability of GN'R.

He NEVER said that they were B sides, that's just you TROLLING. He said they weren't considering putting them out as singles or anything.

No, actually, he did. I can't remember the exact quote or context but it was someone asking about the new tracks they were playing on the 02 tour to which he said he doesn't regard them as "anything more than B-Sides, maybe"

No, actually, he did. I can't remember the exact quote or context but it was someone asking about the new tracks they were playing on the 02 tour to which he said he doesn't regard them as "anything more than B-Sides, maybe"

prove it or GTFO.

Your sig: 400x178 25KB - This breaks the MYGNR Forum rules

Your sig is 27KB - This breaks the MYGNR Forum rules

On topic: Who knows about Rio. So far each one has signaled the start of something new....signs from DJ are promising, Axl still seems to have fire in his belly musically, there's now the Azoff lawsuit settled with terms including tour plans (It said so in the announcement), and now news of more dates.

If nothing else, at least GN'R are active. More thn could be said for 03-05. There may be no confirmation of an album, but there's at least confirmation of future plans.

Yeah that doesn't mean anything. Tommy for example was saying CD was done and they were finalizing the artwork etc. CD didn't come out for a few more years after he said that. Until there's an actual solid release date, everything else is just talk.

I thought Catcher In The Rye was a 'big gun' the first time I heard it.

Plans change, people rethink what they wanted to do.

As long as Axl and the band can deliver the live performances on the level of the recent tour, and put out material as good as Chinese Democracy, I believe it's worth going through all the failed attempts, mistakes, and other less then ideal scenarios.

I still think Axl wants to follow his vision.

normally I think th BB deal changed things. But maybe it was Bucket, when he left a lot of the material just became impossible to present live, without him to play it, it was going to be Axl n Bucket show but in the end Axl just put out his songs on a CD. He has more songs but the Bucket material, unless he liked it got shelved.