Oh My God

Del Norte

Nu-Gnr have had two releases so far, Oh My God and the album CHinese Democracy, as we all know. Where would you rank this 1999 song amongst the Chinese Democracy songs? For me, it's got more bite than anything on CD but it's surely not better than everything on CD. I'd put it above Shacklers, Rhiad, Street of Dreams, Scraped, the album version of Catcher, Sorry, and Prostitute. So I think it's better than roughly half the album. I know OMG got a lot of mixed reviews and bad reactions but now over ten years later how do you guys feel it stands up to CD? If you don't want to compare it to CD well what do you like or dislike about it?

I know this is dust and bones sort of material but there's not much to talk about and OMG always seems to get ignored..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very powerful music and great vibe. the band should have worked harder on it, it sounds very interesting, and do not understand why it has not been played live over the years, taking one or two shows.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

“Oh my God” is great (in fact I’d prefer the 1999 version of “Chinese Democracy in general – the version we got was disappointingly diluted).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

I love that song, not because it's better than any of the songs on CD, but because it's fast, heavy, and IT ROCKS rock3

I think that and Shackler's are my favorite recent songs, because they are rock. while I love the rest of CD, I find that I have to be in the right mood to really enjoy them, and i'm more of an uptempo/fast music kinda guy.

i really hope they bring OMG back to the setlist, along with some new tracks like Jackie Chan!

(back in the day)

It all went quite on the GN'R front, there was news of a new single, Oh My God..

oh my god, I wanted to hear it bad - so much so I picked up the soundtrack to End Of Days, as that was the only way the song could be heard (alarm bells were ringing - why no proper single ?)

On playing it, I was somewhat disappointed..

What was this muffled mess of a song? it was't the Guns N'Roses I was familiar with..

Afrer some time I kinda liked it.. at the same time, I wanted to hear a cleaner clearer mix, as the song still to this day sounds like listening to music with my head submerged under wated :D

Back when there was news of a new Guns N'Roses album in the works '2000 Intentions' was the rumoured title, part of me was looking forward to the new industrial sound with NIN's Trent onbaord. Sure it wasn't going to be GN'R heavy rock, but it was going to something new.

When Chinese Democracy arrived, it was neither full on Hard rock Slash, or full on Trent Industrail.. it was something in between, something half baked.

Edited by star

Guest siliconmessiah

Fantastic song!

I wish that GNR had continued in that direction with the same musicians.

When Chinese Democracy arrived, it was neither full on Hard rock Slash, or full on Trent Industrail.. it was something in between, something half baked.

Exactly! It was a good album, but I don´t like the fact that it got half baked.

Fantastic song!

I wish that GNR had continued in that direction with the same musicians.

Exactly! It was a good album, but I don´t like the fact that it got half baked.

I disagree. A '99 Chinese Democracy might have been cool, but Bucket's contributions are all over CD and, imo, added so much flair and dynamics to the material.

OMG is a great song that should have been worked on some more, not released until the album saw the light of day and included on it.

I don't feel that Chinese is 'half baked' at all. When you have that much going on, you need a balanced sound and production to make all the parts shine and to make it sound like it is.

Granted, some sacrifices had to be made when it's so intricate and layered, but the end product is impressive to my ears.

about this:

1. Oh My God

2. Anything by Velvet Revolver

3. Rebecca Black

4. Splash, Stash or whatever the curly guy who's balding is called

haha, nice! rock2

(back in the day)

It all went quite on the GN'R front, there was news of a new single, Oh My God..

oh my god, I wanted to hear it bad - so much so I picked up the soundtrack to End Of Days, as that was the only way the song could be heard (alarm bells were ringing - why no proper single ?)

What was this muffled mess of a song? it was't the Guns N'Roses I was familiar with..

Afrer some time I kinda liked it.. at the same time, I wanted to hear a cleaner clearer mix, as the song still to this day sounds like listening to music with my head submerged under wated :D

Back when there was news of a new Guns N'Roses album in the works '2000 Intentions' was the rumoured title, part of me was looking forward to the new industrial sound with NIN's Trent onbaord. Sure it wasn't going to be GN'R heavy rock, but it was going to something new.

and just when was Trent Reznor on board Star?

about this:

1. Oh My God

2. Anything by Velvet Revolver

3. Rebecca Black

4. Splash, Stash or whatever the curly guy who's balding is called

haha, nice! rock2

(back in the day)

and just when was Trent Reznor on board Star?

Trent met up with Axl during the early Chinese Days.. it didn't lead anywhere..

Lyrically- it's one of the best i'd say.

vocally - don't like Axl's voice buried/muddied in the mix, but thats what they were goin for with that industrial feel i suppose.

musically- i'd love to hear a revamped version of this tune as a b-side or an bonus track down the line. (BBF Ashba & 4tus could salvage this rock4 )

an example of this i can recall was when a couple years ago people on here were ripping on Riad for years hoping it wouldn't make the album, but when it leaked/ended up on album some of the hated actually came out enjoying/tolerating it (others still didn't dig - which happens)

Fantastic song, I like it better than all of the "rock" songs on CD.

The production, which some have harped on, is really balls-to-the-wall, and it really is a very ferocious tune. Great lyrics, catchy chorus, fun bridge, and cool effects.

Love it.

Great song. I really like the industrial style this song takes on, I would love to hear the reworked version Axl was talking about. I'm suprised the song didn't get more publicity, its a great jam