You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory

bumblecool

I'm at work so I can't watch those, but is Tommy's cover related to GNR at all? Like at a GNR show I mean or is it just a coincidence they both covered the same song in their lifetimes?

There's something very awkward about GNR's new bass player covering a cover that the former bass player sang...

I agree. Just thinking....why? are there really no other songs he would like too cover?

Guest Len B'stard

It's not the former bass players song, it's Johnny Thunderses song. I've noted this before actually, that Axl has tried somewhat to rebuild GnR in the vein of old GnR i.e. quirky lead guitarist with a gimmick, bass player with punk credentials etc. I don't think Tommys one is related to GnR, both those guys are just huge Johnny Thunders fans. On the debut album of The Replacements, Tommys first band, there's a song called Johnnys Gonna Die dedicated to Johnny Thunders, a good decade before TSI was released so he's hardly copying Duff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0g_dUWzxR0

Both the covers are naff anyway, Johnny Thunders is a God, you can't touch Johnny or Johnnys songs and come off good with em. Especially the one of TSI, it's so corny "i wanna put mah arms around your memory Johnnnyyyy" please, Duff, mate, shut up.

Thats how its done!

Edited by sugaraylen

Duff and Tommy respect each other, and have no issues concerning one playing the other one's songs, or one taking other one's spot in the same band

they both said it in interviews and as we saw they had great fun during a gig in London in 2011

Duff about Tommy: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2010/10/replacements.php

Tommy about Duff: http://www.gunsnroses.us/news/spip.php?article231

so what's the big deal ?

Edited by DrDrei

I'm at work so I can't watch those, but is Tommy's cover related to GNR at all? Like at a GNR show I mean or is it just a coincidence they both covered the same song in their lifetimes?

There's something very awkward about GNR's new bass player covering a cover that the former bass player sang...

I don't find it awkward at all. The only people who are still freaking out about the name of name of the band or viewing everything as competition are a few forum members.

I'm sure that everybody involved - new band and old - would jam together on stage if the situation arose (minus slash and Axl combos).

I just can't seem to like Tommy... my least favorite current GnR member.

His bass lines are great on CD though.

I know, it's not his playing, it's his checked suits, Sex Pistols wanna-be hair and attitude that kinda bugs me.

Oh lord, come on.

He's there playing a solo show, not a Gn'R show. He can play whatever he sees fit. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think he gives a damn that Gn'R covered it ages ago.

I agree with Del Norte.... It would almoust be like Bumblefoot or Asbha covering The Godfather. I don't need to say how much i support the current Guns N' Roses, but I get the feeling that he played it so some people can think "Oh hey, it's that song Duff used to play! this guy is alright!"

Oh lord, come on.

He's there playing a solo show, not a Gn'R show. He can play whatever he sees fit. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think he gives a damn that Gn'R covered it ages ago.

I agree with Del Norte.... It would almoust be like Bumblefoot or Asbha covering The Godfather. I don't need to say how much i support the current Guns N' Roses, but I get the feeling that he played it so some people can think "Oh hey, it's that song Duff used to play! this guy is alright!"

I don't see it this way at all.

What if they both covered 'anarchy in the uk'?

If he covered 'believe in me' THAN it would weird. But it's Johnny thunders... :shrugs:

Jesus, stop talking like Johnny Thunders was a music god...

Edited by Chris Axl

Guest Len B'stard

Oh lord, come on.

If he covered 'believe in me' THAN it would weird. But it's Johnny thunders... :shrugs:

He is...moreso than any member of Guns n Roses will ever live to be...in fewer years than any member of Guns has been alive.

Oh lord, come on.

To Duff he certainly was.