CD > AFD

gnrfan2007

AFD's awesomeness is obvious. It's just there, and it appeals to such a mass, it's just a perfect hard rock album, no denial. It's raw, it's filthy, dark at times, light at other times, it's the album you can listen to anywhere anytime and get pumped. I envy those who actually heard AFD when it was released. It should have been awesome. CD on the other hand, appeals to a much smaller public, it's brilliance is between the lines, it takes a few listens to realize what's really going on, it's not an album you'd listen to on the beach, barbecue or sunny day at the pool, it's not that eclectic. While I consider CD to be my favorite album, I completely understand that AFD is a much, much more important album to music, to rock n' roll. It's a landmark album, like I said previously and it influenced so many people. You still can't say CD had half of the impact AFD did.

Perfect. :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think the themes of AFD are happy, loving, feel good songs? maybe I am missing something but I don't hear that in WTTJ, Mr. Brownstone, Nighttrain, Out to Get Me etc.......

The guitars on Appetite are feel good (and camouflage/contrast the content of the lyrics).

Jungle, Brownstone, Nighttrain and Out Ta Get me don’t impulse serious thoughts regarding drug/alcohol abuse, media conspiracy etc.

Feel good guitars?...you lost me there mate..

Because the guitars change from song to song, there's rage, there's desperation, there's tenderness, and other kinds of intensity going on, not to mention Izzy and Slash play nothing like each other, so you got one in each speaker, and a yin-yang tug of war in your head if you listen on headphones...

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

What you are talking about would have resulted in a totally different album, because AFD isn't those things (and doesn't need to be).

Appetite is similar to Chinese Democracy so far as intense lyrics about very, I suppose, pessimistic subjects (the difference is the anthemic guitars which offer the perfect contrast).

The guitars on Chinese tend to compliment the solemnness of the lyrics rather than provide that contrast evident on Appetite.

Think About You is a prime example (upbeat riffs to an entirely pessimistic song about hindsight/obsession).

Feel good guitars?

Jungle’s guitars are definitely feel good.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think what he basically means is that you don't exactly listen to AFD when you're depressed.

Appetite is the antidote for depression (its optimistic guitars offer an escape). Chinese Democracy is the opposite and would encourage the possibility of suicide (or that grievance with humanity).

The reason I perfer AFD is because it sounds natural, organic, and has a great vibe to it. Not that I hate CD (I actually like it a lot, full of great songs). CD, while full of great concepts and lyrical themes, IMO is diluted by the execution of the instumental and vocals takes along with poor mixing. What it needed was less copy/paste and more of the whole band getting into a studio and recording the songs within the same time frame regardless of how many overdubs there are in one song. When I hear CD I hear a bunch of great tunes that could have been so much more...

I think what he basically means is that you don't exactly listen to AFD when you're depressed.

Appetite is the antidote for depression (its optimistic guitars offer an escape). Chinese Democracy is the opposite and would encourage the possibility of suicide (or that grievance with humanity).

It's kinda like, on AFD it was mostly about the grind, Victory Or Death, defeat is not a possibility.

CD was more like, you've been defeated, you hit rock bottom, all is/was lost, NOW where do you go from here?

It's kinda like, on AFD it was mostly about the grind, Victory Or Death, defeat is not a possibility.

CD was more like, you've been defeated, you hit rock bottom, all is/was lost, NOW where do you go from here?

:rofl-lol: the haters feel possibility of suicide ... because can't believe CD is masterpiece

im sorry for youuuuuuuuuuuuu :shrugs:

http://johnjohnsaidit.com/ten-brilliant-album-liner-notes/

:thumbsup:

Edited by Angeles_

possibility of suicide ... because can't believe CD is masterpiece

funny, we were talking about fanboy fantasy a while ago...

CD is a decent album, but flawed. More of a first try at what they hope CD2 or the album after will actually be.

Edited by moreblack

I still think the only flaw on CD is the booklet. The lyrics are just so wrong on, like, half the songs.

The booklet sucks,the Album is a Masterpiece.Some people have more complicated feelings and life can deal some harsh blows.It's not all about feeling happy,real feelings are full spectrum.