CD > AFD

gnrfan2007

I eagerly awaited Chinese Democracy, and am glad I finally got to hear it. I wasn't disappointed, but wasn't blown out of the water either.

It's not Appetite, nor does it pretend to be. Like has been said time and time again throughout this thread - that record was a perfect storm of the right people, at the right station of their lives, and came at the perfect time in contemporary culture. The result was iconic. Whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not, it's the reason we are all in this forum today.

The love for AFD is so passionate, even after all this time. I think that's why many people are indifferent towards Chinese. It doesn't sound like Appetite, because Axl didn't even try to. Why would he? It's a completely different band, he's twice the age he was then, it's a different time. I have no problem with the album at all. It's so complex and layered that it's very interesting to listen to again and again. Axl sounds as good as ever.

Still, I have this ridiculous, child-like hope that Guns N' Roses could repeat the magic - and turn out a mind blowing, anthemic rock album that stops you dead in your tracks the first time you hear it. I feel that Axl is such a talented individual that if anyone could ever propel a band to those type of heights again, it is him. I think he could bring back rock and roll. It's an insane thought, really. But I think that's what keeps me so interested in GNR. The fact that I think they COULD.

I don't know if a reunited original lineup would be necessary to do it, but I suspect it would. I think the public would be more accepting of the idea, and there is certainly a demand for that. You put those ingredients together again and it's hard to imagine they wouldn't come up with something incredible.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know, i think CD is ok, most of the songs are the same style, IRS, SOD, Catcher, TWAT, and then you have Scrapped and Rhiad, and then Better and the rest and so on.... for me Appetite is a lot more complete, from a musical pov is just more dinamyc, no song sound the same Axl does enough, Slash does enough, Duff does enough Izzy does enough and Steven does enough.. it's a perfect album, they all add to the equation, with CD, Axl is sooo much ahead of everybody else..

i like CD don't get me wrong, but Appetite is just one of the best in history for a reason

if you step out of line the celebrity police state comes down hard. it's just not in fashion to be creative. people prefer mediocre music because it makes them feel less worthless. Who does Axl think he is with his fancy album and tardiness? being late isn't very corporate.

And not politically correct

I'm not sure I think CD was a collaborative. Tommy did Riad I think. Bucket did Shacklers and Scraped. Freeze came up with riff for Chi Dem. Better is Finck song. Ithink Pitman did If the World.

definite Axl ones are SOD, TWAT, Catcher, This I Love. in others words the potential videos.

Brain had a big part in Prostitute. the programming.

I think it's true though he played a big role, however I think he did more on AFD than people give credit. I think everything always did go through Axl, he's the personality of the songs.

it seems like divas are late and 70s movie stars. It sort of says fuck you I don't need to do this really. like Brando on Apocalypse now turns up months late 100 pounds over weight and bald and hadn't read the book or script. but he still delivered maybe the performance of his career lol

If you have the talent you can be late.

if you step out of line the celebrity police state comes down hard. it's just not in fashion to be creative. people prefer mediocre music because it makes them feel less worthless. Who does Axl think he is with his fancy album and tardiness? being late isn't very corporate.

it seems like divas are late and 70s movie stars. It sort of says fuck you I don't need to do this really. like Brando on Apocalypse now turns up months late 100 pounds over weight and bald and hadn't read the book or script. but he still delivered maybe the performance of his career lol

Great movie, should do a remake with Charlie.

I eagerly awaited Chinese Democracy, and am glad I finally got to hear it. I wasn't disappointed, but wasn't blown out of the water either.

It's not Appetite, nor does it pretend to be. Like has been said time and time again throughout this thread - that record was a perfect storm of the right people, at the right station of their lives, and came at the perfect time in contemporary culture. The result was iconic. Whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not, it's the reason we are all in this forum today.

The love for AFD is so passionate, even after all this time. I think that's why many people are indifferent towards Chinese. It doesn't sound like Appetite, because Axl didn't even try to. Why would he? It's a completely different band, he's twice the age he was then, it's a different time. I have no problem with the album at all. It's so complex and layered that it's very interesting to listen to again and again. Axl sounds as good as ever.

Still, I have this ridiculous, child-like hope that Guns N' Roses could repeat the magic - and turn out a mind blowing, anthemic rock album that stops you dead in your tracks the first time you hear it. I feel that Axl is such a talented individual that if anyone could ever propel a band to those type of heights again, it is him. I think he could bring back rock and roll. It's an insane thought, really. But I think that's what keeps me so interested in GNR. The fact that I think they COULD.

I don't know if a reunited original lineup would be necessary to do it, but I suspect it would. I think the public would be more accepting of the idea, and there is certainly a demand for that. You put those ingredients together again and it's hard to imagine they wouldn't come up with something incredible.

Nice post Duro.

What frustrates me too is that I think the old chemistry is still there.

I just wish they could patch up their differences. Of course it would not be exactly the same there would be evolution but I still think it would be an incredible album.

You listen to ghost and its clear the old magic is still there between Slash and Izzy and even contraband with Axl's vocals would have been amazing and that's before you consider what he could have added lyrically.

Axl could still do the Chi Dem material as well. Indeed there would be no reason for the haters to hate if he was still recording/touring with the original line up would prolly take a massive monkey off his back.

Great movie, should do a remake with Charlie.

Nah even Charlie would not be crazy enough to fuck with perfection......

And we all know Charlie don't surf :rofl-lol:

I thought CD was kind of ok, was alright. Tbh I never really listen to it. I prefer AFD by a country mile.

Are you a GN'R fan?

Off course I am a fan of GN'R, I wouldn't be registered to a band's forum if I wasn't a fan. I'm just wanting to hear a GNR record like the 'old days' with the old band. Not the Axl circus that we currently have got going on. I view GN'R as a band from the past because to me they are the band that I got into in 1987.

How this is even debated goes beyond me. Now I liked some stuff on CD, but it's really no match for AFD. AFD belongs and usually is on every 'best rock albums ever'-list, even of non-GNR-fans. CD will never be.

Perhaps. But let's give it some time. I think that, with a great a follow up, "the CD saga" will be able to make it into some "the greatest albums of all time" lists.

Perhaps. But let's give it some time. I think that, with a great a follow up, "the CD saga" will be able to make it into some "the greatest albums of all time" lists.

Sorry but the only greatest lists CD will ever make is greatest disappointments. A quick google search demonstrates that fact:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2011/05/the_12_most_disappointing_albu.php

http://www.livethescene.com/features/bestandworst

It's an album for the most hardcore Axl Rose fans only, ie. people who like Axl Rose far more than they like the band Guns N' Roses.

CD to me is better than AFD, but CD is my favorite abum, nothing else is like it. Funny I thought it was fucking terrible when I first heard it.

There’s far too many moments when Axl struggles on vocals, like he was out of practice, but his ego was telling him he sounded great. There’s a mix of good vocals and not so good vocals. Axl himself becomes the weakest element on his own album.

The whole Pittman electronic aspect gives the album and movie sound track vibe most of the time.

The true stars of Chinese Democracy are Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brain. Throughout the mish mash of an album, these 3 make it what it is.

If they had gone the whole NIN route, and got Trent to produce the album, we just might have got something great. Not very Guns N’Roses, but something great.