CD > AFD

gnrfan2007

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post can be used against you in the court of the Axl Fanboy Police.

Heehee.

On topic, I think AD is the better record, but my love for CD grows all the time and my fav songs are always changing. I listen to CD alittle more maybe, but it's probably because it's much newer. There are some great songs on CD no doubt. I will say I think alot of the hate for it comes from the baggage it came with.

But lol at people flippin out over opinions. It's all personal tastes and in the end, We are all GNR fans!!! KUM BA YAH muthafukas

Also,why in the Hell did it have to ne an exclusive?

Because Best Buy was the only retail outlet stupid enough to cough up 13 million dollars for the exclusive rights to the alubum and they tooks a major bath on it............it all came down to who was willing to pay the most $$$

You either have to accept that or go somewhere else...seems pretty simple to me........ :shrugs:

You're talking to the wrong person. I personally don't take offense. Trolling to me is a non issue. The only emotion I feel towards trolling is empathy because I honestly believe cupcakes, deep down, are lonely, sad individuals. The only reason I said all this was because someone got it wrong. People don't care about someone saying something negative about Axl Rose or Guns N Roses. People care about TROLLING. There's a VAST difference my friend.

Yeah but your problem is you think anyone who criticizes Axl is a cupcake which is not the case

I do? Funny, because I don't recall thinking OR saying that.

Some of you Slash-oholics don't get it. LOL

The *new rock* stations, mainstream media, and general public doesn't give a crap about GnR NOW because of the music they made in the PAST.

It has nothing to do with Axl or CD or GnR right NOW.

It is not like people just suddenly decided that, "GnR sucks".

GnR was the *most popular rock band* of the late '80s - WHEN THE WORLD HAD NO OTHER BETTER OPTIONS. But when the *alternative rock* scene exploded, people started to have a whole bunch of new rock band *options* to choose from. People began abandoning GnR in droves!

Think about this: no *new rock* station plays VR's music, but they play Stone Temple Pilots music all the time. Why is this?

These same *new rock* stations never play any of GnR's music, but they play lots of songs by other bands from the 80's like Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Beastie Boys, and even Jane's Addiction. These bands are just as old - if not older - than GnR.

When *new rock* stations list their top songs, you will never find any of VRs or GnR music. But Stone Temple Pilots makes the list all the time with a couple songs. Same with Metallica. Same with RHCP. Same with The Beastie Boys. And so on.

What is so *new rock* about Nirvana? How come WTTJ or PC is not consider *new rock* but "Teen Spirit" and "Under the Bridge" is?

Why are bands like the "Red Hot Chilli Peppers" consider *new rock* but old-GnR is not? Why is a song like "Under the Bridge" always in the top 5 *new rock* songs, but no GnR songs from AFD, UYI, or Lies ever makes the cut?

How many major bands from the 90s forward claim GnR's AFD, UYI, or Lies as a major influence? What, Avenge Sevenfold? Please!

Many musicians will tell you that: old-GnR has no talent! Nobody respects the musical talent of old-GnR!

So WHY are these things TRUE?

Why does nobody give old-GnR any music credibility?

Let's get real here: GnR started to become *UN-COOL* during the middle-to-the-end of the UYI tours - at exactly the same time as the *ALTERNATIVE ROCK/NEW ROCK* scene exploded. This is NOT a coincidence!

There is a NEGATIVE-stigma attached to the music of OLD-GnR. Most people do not consider old-GnR as INNOVATORS of *NEW MUSIC*. This NEGATIVE-stigma has carried on as part of all the old member's solo projects, including VR, and now new-GnR.

As Slash has stated before: "we got lucky".

Axl stated the following during the AFD era: "we suck ... there are many bands better than we are."

OLD-GnR is not even in the discussion when the media and musician critics and historians discuss the most important bands in music history!

Bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, RHCP, and Metallica, are considered more INFLUENTIAL and IMPORTANT than GnR!

So I ask again, WHY IS THIS?

Simple answer: the music of old-GnR is not considered INNOVATIVE, unique, and SPECIAL enough!

Because of this NEGATIVE-stigma, nobody who is not a die-hard GnR fan is going to go out of their way to listen to CD and objectively judge it on its musical credibility.

Ask a non-GnR fan to listen to CD, and what response will you typically get? "GnR sucks, who cares." And by GnR, they mean OLD-GnR. They obviously have no clue what new-GnR sounds like.

CD will be an album that people will RE-DISCOVER later on, if by chance GnR is able to write another POP song for the radio and MTV masses that appeals to this generation.

Think about this: electronica-DJ-rock-mixer musician MOBY was blown away by the stuff he heard from new-GnR in regards to CD. He stated that what he heard was way better than any other stuff that musicians who had been doing similar stuff for years were doing.

What MOBY was saying was that CD was successful in integrating all these new technologies, electronica, mixes, and influences from many genres into a big *melting-pot* without it sounding like a robotic beat song like what we hear with other electronica-based bands. Despite all the technology used, the songs on CD still sounded *organic* and *alive* with the essence and spirit of the GnR sound.

For example, the songs on CD do not sound like songs from NiN - even though they were created with the same, if not more, technology than what NiN uses. There is no way you can get the same kind of solos you find on CD on a typical NiN song or any other electronica-rock based album. And when GnR performs these songs live, its amazing how they do not sound restricted by a computer beat or metronome.

So hopefully this makes sense and you understand why Axl has worked so hard on CD. Because Axl understands that GnR is not respected as one of those great bands that will be remembered forever for their music.

And lastly, Slash is overrated ... get over it! LMAO

CORRECT NOTES:

I previously stated "Dr. Pepper" when I meant "Sgt. Pepper". I was drinking my "Dr. Pepper" that I won in that "Dr. Pepper GnR contest".

MORE ABOUT THE BEATLES

The Beatles began as a BOY BAND, no different than the Backstreet Boys.

It was not until they met BOB DYLAN many years later, that they began writing *real music*. Bob Dylan basically told the Beatles, "their music sucked" and that they had not created any real music. Then Bob Dylan introduce them to WEED, and the rest is history.

The music on Sgt. Pepper is still to this day being studied as one of the most influential and innovative music albums of all time. Sgt. Pepper is not just a musical masterpiece, but consider a technological marvel for its time. You can't take a music pop culture course in college without spending time studying the music on Sgt. Pepper.

The Beatles began as a BOY BAND, no different than the Backstreet Boys.

Not really. The Back Street Boys never wrote a single lick of music. The Beatles were song writers. Even that early love song bullshit was of their own creation. The BSB were all made up of pretty boy actors, posing as musicians to make alot of money off of stupid girls.

Edited by Nintari

AFD has the ,in your face rcok n roll, raw, dirty and explosive spirit. While CD has too much sounds on it, and it's not meant to be heard as an mp3,

They are completely different albums with different vibes. It's like comparing a radiohead album to a motorhead one. You just can't.

You should listen CD to a good surround system if you really like to understand what's going on. It's even mixed that way. When i downloaded CD it sounded confusing and blurry to say the least. So you can't listen to it like that.

And i must agree that musically it's far beyond Appetite.

Wile i was recording some of my songs at a studio ,in the city i live in, i got in along conversation with the sound engineer about CD. He enjoys the album as much as i do and he's not a GN'R fan. In his eyes CD is the only good album GN'R has done. He's on the other side of the coin.

Don't get me wrong i love Appetite and it's a special album but CD is in a different world.

haha,it still comes back to this :D

There are very few rock albums that are as good as Appetite let alone another Guns album. ADD was a game changer. Nobody was as raw and gritty at that time, everything else was fluff. Not knocking anyone but in some ways you had to be alive at the time to fully appreciate what ADD was.

Hahaha. This thread is sucha joke it's not even funny.

What I love is how appetite was actually written and played by a band. They could talk and communicate. Everyone had an equal say. And I think that played A huge factor in it's success both critically and commercially.

Chinese was written and played by a revolving door of musicians. They spoke when spoken to, and one man at the end of the day had the final word. And I think that playe a HUGE factor of why it flopped.

Think the majority of fans would even care if they played anything off chinese ever again? Probably not. But you can bet fans would go APESHIT if they never played sweet child again. That's the everlasting impression appe.tite has left 24 years later. Chinese, as sad as some of you may view it, will be nothing more than a faded memory 24 years from now. That's why appetite accomplished so much more than chinese. It spoke and still speaks to people like very few rock albums can.

You must not have been to a concert recently. Fans actually go APESHIT whenever a CD is played.

I sure do.

Fans do not go nearly as apeshit at a cd song than they do for the classic material. I may not have been to a concert, but I've talked to people that have been, on and offline, and the speakers from the youtube videos must be playing tricks on me. I've heard people tell me all the time the nu songs lack the enthusiam from the audience that they give for the old stuff. I'm 21, and the fact that that material speaks more of me than the "relevant" stuff does should say something. Not that I'm saying chinese democracy was god awful. But it didn't have nearly the same impact appetite did.

And again, I wasn't at the appetite sessions, but neither were you, sailaway. All of them have described appetite as equal input, which is why they booked after axl took everything over. Reading interviews, watching them play, they were a band. Can't really say the same for them now....

Boo Hoo BoBo,gripe and complain day after day oO

Been following GNR since my 20' seen a helluva lotta shows,anybody remember when they opened

for the Stones?? Epic!!

had already heard a good deal of UYI material,by going to the gigs they played LIVE!

People go ape-shiit for Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber songs too.

Why? Because they are POP songs. Easy songs to sing-along and dance-to.

AFD is a POP ROCK album. So was all of Nirvana's album.

People like POP songs - because that's how the human mind is wired.

You have to be a musician to really go ape-shiit for CD. And that is what I am saying. CD is MUSICALLY on a higer level than anything GnR has done in the past. Musicians will respect the work on CD more than they do with AFD. But the average fan, will like AFD more because it is simpler music.

In regards to the AFD sessions, all you have to do is compare the solo projects of the ex-GnR members. None of their solo projects, including VRs work, resembles what was done on AFD or UYI.

CD surprisingly, has more in common with AFD (and UYI) than any stuff put out by the old-GnR members. So that should tell you who is the most important member of GnR is because he is the only one still left.

Fans do not go nearly as apeshit at a cd song than they do for the classic material. I may not have been to a concert, but I've talked to people that have been, on and offline, and the speakers from the youtube videos must be playing tricks on me. I've heard people tell me all the time the nu songs lack the enthusiam from the audience that they give for the old stuff. I'm 21, and the fact that that material speaks more of me than the "relevant" stuff does should say something. Not that I'm saying chinese democracy was god awful. But it didn't have nearly the same impact appetite did.

And again, I wasn't at the appetite sessions, but neither were you, sailaway. All of them have described appetite as equal input, which is why they booked after axl took everything over. Reading interviews, watching them play, they were a band. Can't really say the same for them now....

People go ape-shiit for Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber songs too.

Why? Because they are POP songs. Easy songs to sing-along and dance-to.

AFD is a POP ROCK album. So was all of Nirvana's album.

People like POP songs - because that's how the human mind is wired.

You have to be a musician to really go ape-shiit for CD. And that is what I am saying. CD is MUSICALLY on a higer level than anything GnR has done in the past. Musicians will respect the work on CD more than they do with AFD. But the average fan, will like AFD more because it is simpler music.

In regards to the AFD sessions, all you have to do is compare the solo projects of the ex-GnR members. None of their solo projects, including VRs work, resembles what was done on AFD or UYI.

CD surprisingly, has more in common with AFD (and UYI) than any stuff put out by the old-GnR members. So that should tell you who is the most important member of GnR is because he is the only one still left.

Again I will tell you that I am a musician, and I much prefer AFD over Chinese Democracy

Just because CD may be harder to learn on guitar doesn't mean that it is sonically better. AFD has the whole package - great tunes, great flow from start to finish, tight musicianship (again, music is all about chemistry). CD, while great in its own respect, just doesn't have that feel to me. AFD has that "special" quality that is indescribable.

As a musician, I look for chemistry in songwriting and music performance. A lot of musicians friends who I greatly respect prefer AFD as well, it is a subject I have talked to them about on many occasions, and they have said what I am reiterating here. CD, while still awesome, is FAR from being a timeless classic like AFD was objectively speaking. Rock N' Roll is a people's game, and people have consistently loved Appetite. Chinese Democracy? not so much... Even though that objective fact has no bearing on a person's enjoyment of the album, it is very telling of why Appetite is considered to be one of the "great" albums

You can say the music is on a "higher level" because it has more layers and has harder guitar techniques, but none of that means shit if it cannot connect to the individual regardless of musical experience. I am not telling you that you should like AFD more, I am just saying why I prefer it over CD.

Appetite is the textbook example of 5 guys who "get it". Chinese Democracy? I consider it a collection of great ideas that had the potential to be better than it turned out - the sound quality itself is great but you can hear copy and pasting all over the place, especially in the vocals. If the songs were arranged better and had a better flow, IMO it just would have made the album that much better. Cause Appetite takes the cake for me, and it will every single time

Edited by WhazUp

What I love is how appetite was actually written and played by a band. They could talk and communicate. Everyone had an equal say. And I think that played A huge factor in it's success both critically and commercially.

Chinese was written and played by a revolving door of umusicians. They spoke when spoken to, and one man at the end of the day had the final word. And I think that playe a HUGE factor of why it flopped.

Think the majority of fans would even care if they played anything off chinese ever again? Probably not. But you can bet fans would go APESHIT if they never played sweet child again. That's the everlasting impression appe.tite has left 24 years later. Chinese, as sad as some of you may view it, will be nothing more than a faded memory 24 years from now. That's why appetite accomplished so much more than chinese. It spoke and still speaks to people like very few rock albums can.

You must not have been to a concert recently. Fans actually go APESHIT whenever a CD is played.

I sure do.

Been following GNR since my 20' seen a helluva lotta shows,anybody remember when they opened

for the Stones?? Epic!!

had already heard a good deal of UYI material,by going to the gigs they played LIVE!

And your point...? Oh yeah. Day after day you prove you have none.

Playground games won't work on Adults BoBo :lol::sleeper:

Edited by sailaway

Chinese was written and played by a revolving door of umusicians. They spoke when spoken to, and one man at the end of the day had the final word. And I think that playe a HUGE factor of why it flopped.

I sure do.

for the Stones?? Epic!!

Yeah you're an "adult" that doesn't play "playground games" right? My name just must be a real stumper. BOBBO. BobBO. Practice what you preach.

What is a Bobbo? I'm not arguing at the moment, just curious.

I sure do.

for the Stones?? Epic!!

Yeah you're an "adult" that doesn't play "playground games" right? My name just must be a real stumper. BOBBO. BobBO. Practice what you preach.

My god you guys have a conflict in every thread

HINT: PM each other, that way you guys can air out your grievances and the topic will be cleaner :thumbsup:

Edited by WhazUp

Hahaha. This thread is ysucha joke it's not even funny.

I sure do.

for the Stones?? Epic!!

Now BoBo,don't blow a gasket this is a messageboard forum,so how many GNR shows are you going to so far? :lol:

I sure do.

for the Stones?? Epic!!

My god you guys have a conflict in every thread

I wasn't trying to start a conflict, I actually am curious.

I sure do.

for the Stones?? Epic!!

It would be my name. Kinda hard to miss. Just saying.

Your real name?

As in my birth given name? No. It's a nickname.

Just as I'm sure "damn_smooth" isn't your real name.

Damn Smooth is his name,has it in ink on his arm,don't harass people BoBo!! :rofl-lol:

Also need to keep this topic on topic!!!!

I like AFD and Chidem, I don't have to choose. :) group hug now? :confused:

As in my birth given name? No. It's a nickname.

Just as I'm sure "damn_smooth" isn't your real name.

Nope, it's not. I thought there might be some hidden meaning behind it.

Nope. I'm sorry if I sounded defensive. I just couldn't tell if you were actually curious, or just pulling my chain.

I was actually curious. Just because we don't agree about Gn'R doesn't mean I have to be a dick about everything else. Thanks for answering.

There's always been a pretty decent balance of give and take. Don't act like everything's so one sided.

Why do u spend time here if u don't like what Axl has done, you don't like the new band and u don't like any of the music Axl has put out over the past 15 years?

When people criticize Slash or VR you tell them to leave and go support a band that they enjoy. You said that. So why don't u follow your own advise?

Why is it ok for you to constantly bash Axl and CD.....buy u get uptight if somebody criticizes Slash. A bit of a double standard?

There's always been a pretty decent balance of give and take. Don't act like everything's so one sided.

Why do u spend time here if u don't like what Axl has done, you don't like the new band and u don't like any of the music Axl has put out over the past 15 years?

When people criticize Slash or VR you tell them to leave and go support a band that they enjoy. You said that. So why don't u follow your own advise?

Why is it ok for you to constantly bash Axl and CD.....buy u get uptight if somebody criticizes Slash. A bit of a double standard?

We went over what I said ages ago, ages ago in PM. What I said was if you didn't like, there's other bands you can listen to. I don't tell people to leave. Trust me, even when Funral was at his worst, or Bacardimayne went into uber cupcake mode, they post, guys like Jim Bob, Warchild, Miser etc. I say let them. They eventually bury themselves.

As for posting here, AFD is one of my favorite albums of all time, as I assume it's yours and everyone else in this forum's. If someone wants to have a go at it. We're gonna discuss it.