CD > AFD

gnrfan2007

AFD is immediate, CD takes a few listens really. Chi dem and ITW were pretty immediate. First time I heard Prostitute I just didn't get it, now it's huge.

Exactly,like some Queen Albums didn't grab me at first,but after several plays the light clicks on,and you appreciate the nuances.People today seem all too concerned for immediate gratification when some things are an acquired taste.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, if you only based your opinions on your own sentimental feelings about an album, your opinion is going to be subjective.

If you grew up during the '80s then obviously you are going to like AFD more. Similarly, a kid who is growing up now is going to prefer CD.

Or if you prefer straight up just bass and guitars, of course you will like AFD more. But similarly, some one who prefers more electronica, hip-hop, industrial, or new rock, is going to like CD more.

Or, you worship Slash and blame Axl for breaking up the old band, so of course you are going to hate CD.

These are all subjective opinions.

What we need to do is step outside of our own personal tastes and background, and evaluate these albums objectively.

What makes CD so great musically is how it is like a history of all music from as early as the Beatles to as recently as the DJ club scenes. It does this in a seamless way that is still distinctly GnR-ish. CD does remind you of AFD and UYIs. Despite all the technology and electronica used on CD, CD does not feel like an album of robotic songs limited by a computer metronome like most other electronica rock or dance albums. The songs on CD still sound and feel very organic.

That is what got electronica-rock-DJ mogul MOBY jumping up and down when he was invited to hear songs from CD. Moby exclaimed: GnR was doing it better than other folks who had been doing it for years.

AFD is a cool album - for its time. But musically, it doesn't offer much in a way that is innovative, inspiring, and jaw dropping. You are not left wondering, how da fcuk did they do that?!

From a guitarist point of view, as you try to navigate and learn the music on CD, you can't help but think what a masterpiece of guitar work CD is - despite all the electronica and technology! The same cannot be said about AFD. The solos, riffs, and rhythm parts of many of the songs on AFD just don't leave you inspired as a guitarist. I mean, in terms of complexity, AFD is not really that much more complex then say Nirvana's Nevermind.

But don't be fooled though. It's not a question of complexity, ie. CD is more complex than AFD. It is the fact that despite the complexity of the songs on CD, the songs are still able to convey raw emotions and beauty. The songs were not purposely made to be complex for the sake of "showing off one's talent" - as is often done with virtuoso guitar albums. The songs were complex because that was what was required of them to properly convey the emotions and beauty that the songs were trying to convey.

It has been a journey for GnR to get this level of craftsmanship, skill, creativity, and beauty with their music. AFD is a great album - the first in GnR's journey. AFD maybe the GnR's best selling album, but that probably has more to do with timing than anything else.

What CD does is bring GnR into a new level of respect among music critics, scholars, historians, and other musicians. GnR will no longer be defined as an '80s band but a multi-generational successful band.

So for some of you to suggest that GnR has not grown since the days of AFD, is really the ultimate insult to GnR. If in your opinion, CD is not objectively better than AFD, than GnR really has no more business making music.

Edited by gnrfan2007

AFD is a cool album - for its time.

Way beyond cool. For ALL time.

If in your opinion, CD is not objectively better than AFD, than GnR really has no more business making music.
Maybe that was never the point. Because the people that made AFD really just took a snapshot of their lives. Their lives just happened to be far more insane/interesting/derailed than Axl & Co. 1999-2008. Edited by moreblack

There are too many distinctive '80s sounds and vibe to AFD for it to be a cool album for all time.

AFD is a cool album - for its time.

Way beyond cool. For ALL time.

Not at all, they were pretty anti-80s if you hear the other rock of the time(Whitesnake, Winger, White Lion etc). And the songs are as strong now as when they came out, if anything they have grown in quality when stacked against today's material. Rest assured AFD is a classic for all time.

Maybe that was never the point. Because the people that made AFD really just took a snapshot of their lives. Their lives just happened to be far more insane/interesting/derailed than Axl & Co. 1999-2008.

:rofl-lol: only in your poor mind ... I cant understand how dare you talk about people you dont know ..... you know nothing of their lives .... just what your little mind pretends that "knows everything" :rolleyes:

Buy a life !!!!! :thumbsup:

Maybe that was never the point. Because the people that made AFD really just took a snapshot of their lives. Their lives just happened to be far more insane/interesting/derailed than Axl & Co. 1999-2008.

:rofl-lol: only in your poor mind ... I cant understand how dare you talk about people you dont know ..... you know nothing of their lives .... just what your little mind pretends that "knows everything" :rolleyes:

it's not about knowing everything, but we still have eyes/ears don't we?

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Chinese Democracy is far more interesting.

Appetite is when you’re high (and frankly don’t give a fuck); Chinese Democracy is when you’re not (and have to deal with things on a rational basis).

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think a lot of people cling to Appetite because it’s an escape from the reality of life (whereas Chinese Democracy is more of a reminder).

I think a lot of people cling to Appetite because it’s an escape from the reality of life (whereas Chinese Democracy is more of a reminder).

Not at all. People cling to Appetite cause the music is good

Absolutely, even the CD uber fans are gonna go to the shows and sing along to SCOM and Jungle and lose their shit when PC plays.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

People cling to Appetite cause the music is good

Obviously. But would the album be as appealing if the themes were marital breakdown, depression, death etc.? People love feel good.

AFD's awesomeness is obvious. It's just there, and it appeals to such a mass, it's just a perfect hard rock album, no denial. It's raw, it's filthy, dark at times, light at other times, it's the album you can listen to anywhere anytime and get pumped. I envy those who actually heard AFD when it was released. It should have been awesome. CD on the other hand, appeals to a much smaller public, it's brilliance is between the lines, it takes a few listens to realize what's really going on, it's not an album you'd listen to on the beach, barbecue or sunny day at the pool, it's not that eclectic. While I consider CD to be my favorite album, I completely understand that AFD is a much, much more important album to music, to rock n' roll. It's a landmark album, like I said previously and it influenced so many people. You still can't say CD had half of the impact AFD did.

People cling to Appetite cause the music is good

Obviously. But would the album be as appealing if the themes were marital breakdown, depression, death etc.? People love feel good.

What you are talking about would have resulted in a totally different album, because AFD isn't those things (and doesn't need to be). Layla a HUGE song, and it deals with heartbreak. People can relate to subjects on AFD as well, it's not like it's pure sex and drugs there is substance there as well. People love AFD because it is real and fits within the context of its own existence. It is real because it isn't trying to overreach anything - it just simply IS.

Edited by WhazUp

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

You think the themes of AFD are happy, loving, feel good songs? maybe I am missing something but I don't hear that in WTTJ, Mr. Brownstone, Nighttrain, Out to Get Me etc.......

The guitars on Appetite are feel good (and camouflage/contrast the content of the lyrics).

Jungle, Brownstone, Nighttrain and Out Ta Get me don’t impulse serious thoughts regarding drug/alcohol abuse, media conspiracy etc.

With CD, Axl has fulfilled his promise to outdo AFD.

This is the conclusion I have come to.

Clearly, CD and AFD are different beasts created in different eras.

But musically, CD is much better than AFD. From a musician point of view, CD blows AFD away. Anybody could cover the songs on AFD with ease. CD is not so easy to cover.

The lyrics on CD are also much more matured than on AFD. Obviously, a more grown up, wiser, and mature Axl will give your more mature lyrics.

Of course CD is not going to outsell AFD. But that's because of timing and a different era. When AFD was released, it was simply the right album for the generation of young people at the time.

CD lyrically is not going to speak to the mass population of young people today, simply because Axl is from a different era.

More fans may be able to sing along to the songs on AFD than on CD. But musically, musicians will find CD to be much more influential.

For these reasons, I truly honestly believe that CD is much better than AFD.

What do you think and why?

I enjoy both albums and I agree with your point that Chinese Democracy probably wouldn't speak to the mass population of today's youth. However Appetite for Destruction is what defined Guns as a band and that album has a sound that still resonates to this day! Chinese Democracy is an awesome record but the sound on it, especially the drums on some of the tracks are kind of a disappointment. I Like both albums and appreciate the fact that Chinese Democracy came out,,to me I dont look at album sales I just listen to the music!