GNR to Re-Record CD2?

Nick85

This was posted in another thread, but as it's pretty big friggin' news, I felt it should probably have it's own seperate discussion.

From Tommy's Twitter...

@SoulMonster A lot of the songs we did that weren't on Chinese Democracy may be redone and put on the next album. Unsure yet.

My personal thoughts, the way GNR operates during and post-production may see this album delayed for years more on end, if they do in fact re-record all of the tracks for the next album.

I think it would be cool to incorporate DJ on several tracks, but is it really necessary to "redo" the entire album?? :shrugs:

Edited by sofine11

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably will rerecord most of it. You know that story Axl made brain rerecord all of the drums just to have his 'feel' on them, so I think this might be applied to this new band too. Unfortunately that means it'll take more time.

Dj recording over buckets parts or even adding to it would be an insult to everthing music stands for.

He's good live, but don't let a 3 year old finger paint on picassos art.

Edited by gunns5

This was posted in another thread, but as it's pretty big friggin' news, I felt it should probably have it's own seperate discussion.

From Tommy's Twitter...

@SoulMonster A lot of the songs we did that weren't on Chinese Democracy may be redone and put on the next album. Unsure yet.

My personal thoughts, the way GNR operates during and post-production may see this album delayed for years more on end, if they do in fact re-record all of the tracks for the next album.

I think it would be cool to incorporate DJ on several tracks, but is it really necessary to "redo" the entire album?? :shrugs:

I wouldn't put much investment on Tommys' predictions on the future Guns album. Not saying he isn't in the know(he obviously knows more than any of us), but major news and plans come from Axl, and even then it doesn't happen most of the time. 'Redone' probably means overdubbed, mixed and mastered. I really REALLY doubt they would re-record every part from scratch, they didn't even do that with CD I.

From Tommy's Twitter...

I've always said that if they are going to use old songs they are going to get re-done and not released "as they are", but for these statements I've always come under attack and called a cupcake on these forums.

I'd like to simply add that all the shit we were fed over all these years about multiple albums, tracks, etc. really makes a giant pill to swallow, if they are really going to go ahead spend what will inevitably become years rerecording these songs.

I would have really liked to hear the versions of the songs that were recorded by the people who, you know, wrote and inspired them.

From Tommy's Twitter...

Were the songs on Chinese Democracy completely redone to incorporate Bumblefoot? No. Mainly his lead parts. I think if anything, DJ will add some lead parts to the songs from the CD sessions.

Also, not to be Captain Obvious, but it's worth noting that Tommy says "MAY be redone" and "UNSURE yet". So, I would caution anyone against taking this as gospel.

Ali

Ron also played rhythm guitar on several tracks but I am not sure which.

Ron's words were that he recorded on "a good handful" of tracks that did not end up on the first album. It would have been cool if Axl did the same with DJ during their 11 months off, and had it set for release in time for the U.S. tour. But then again, that makes just way too much sense for Axl to even consider such a thing.

I'm glad they are rerecording the material, cause there is no sense in marketing the album as a 'new GNR record' when half the people who play on the album aren't even in the band and the vocal tracks were from 10 years ago. Plus Axl sounds much better now than he has in years, so when you combine that with Bumble fitting in with the band even more and DJs bluesy hard rockin feel I can't wait to hear what the album is going to sound like.

Ron also played rhythm guitar on several tracks but I am not sure which.

Ron's words were that he recorded on "a good handful" of tracks that did not end up on the first album. It would have been cool if Axl did the same with DJ during their 11 months off, and had it set for release in time for the U.S. tour. But then again, that makes just way too much sense for Axl to even consider such a thing.

Well, we don't really know what happened during that time off. It hasn't been 11 months, anyway. I think the Azoff lawsuit probably took some time, and Axl may have just wanted to chill out after a year full of touring.

Ali

Tommy's latest tweet:

@Mackarillo Don't worry, Chinese tour will eventually stop and new material WILL be out

I know Tommy means well, and I think it's awesome that he's reaching out to the fans, but the reality is that it's mainly up to Axl when the fans get to hear new music. Frankly, that scares me.