You will all love DJ Ashba in the future

Georgy Zhukov

I reckon he's not just been taken on for his guitar work....but also in a producer role. I can see him having a major say in how next album sounds, even if it is with unreleased CD material, not to say he'd re-record Bucket or Finck's guitar parts, but maybe arrangement, etc.

Personally, I'd love to see the current line-up sit down and write together....yet still manage to hear all the other CD era unreleased songs.

I reckon he's not just been taken on for his guitar work....but also in a producer role. I can see him having a major say in how next album sounds, even if it is with unreleased CD material, not to say he'd re-record Bucket or Finck's guitar parts, but maybe arrangement, etc.

Personally, I'd love to see the current line-up sit down and write together....yet still manage to hear all the other CD era unreleased songs.

It's kinda a situation where there are 3 producers in this band that are also skilled musicians and writers. Axl, Bumble and Ashba could, potentially, come up with and produce a great hard rocking Guns album with a few epic ballads with some heavy rhythm work from Fortus (which can make all of it really work) and Paul can work that behind the scenes magic cause he really proved his importance as a writer to me with Chinese Democracy.

Axl could release cd2 in the fall of 2012, and a current line up album to follow it. I know I know...just dreaming.

It's just frustrating to me when you have all this talent and potential behind this great rock n' roll frontman with a killer voice and it should be all that it can be you know?

Edited by Rovim

You know it. Everyone hated Robin Finck until he left the band or when they heard his guitar solos on CD.

I didn't hate Robin when he was in the band. My biggest problem with DJ is constantly feeling like he's trying to sell me something. I don't need or want ANY of his "AshbaSwag"

You know it. Everyone hated Robin Finck until he left the band or when they heard his guitar solos on CD.

I didn't hate Robin when he was in the band. My biggest problem with DJ is constantly feeling like he's trying to sell me something. I don't need or want ANY of his "AshbaSwag"

:rofl-lol:

I met the guy, he was nice to me and my wife. Later not so much, but still. I dont have a problem with his optimism or anything.

What bothers me is that the guy doesnt really play that well. He often goes off-key and plays simplified lazy-ass rhythm and solos, taking A LOT of short-cuts. Still, people are overlooking this while bashing Robin when he fucked up (which of course I know he did a lot). And yeah, I loved Robin's playing since I first heard that rerecorded SCOM and the Ghosts of Mars OST.

About Ashba writing, from what I see of his studio recordings, live material and Ballad of Death, I thought pretty much all of it sounded either cheesy or boring. Or both. Just my opinion.

Well.. Lyrics.. I think he can contribute.. No one writes like Axl, but he can add the Izzy style I think, being from the same area - Of course there is only one Iz', but I sure think he will get closer than any other band members..

Other than that I think that his solo's fit GNR and are melodic and bluesy, he also has some modern twists to it (seen it BC and Sixx AM)..

His general style is a fit for GNR and he also brings an image aspect that was pretty much down the drain.. He actually looks somewhat cool (of course its a matter of opinion), but I still think he is more commercial than Finck I.e.

I don't wanna buy his shit, and that can annoy me too, but he is a better suit, productive and prolific and perhaps thats just what Axl needs, a guitarist collaborator who is blues based and bring a creative dynamic to the table..

To me, Finck and Buckethead is the farthest away we saw GN'R.. Like a trip to loony land - Some like it, fair game.. But I love AFD and UYI's and prefer this band far more than the other !!!

I don't know... Just the way he plays and his equipment sounds off.

Chinese intro is one of the best examples. Ashba doesn't have the pauses and hard slams.

The reason is simple : Ashba is playing to the intro backtrack ( which wasn't there entirely during the 2006 shows, it would stop right before Robin's part. Now the whole song tempo is dictated by the beginning )...The chinese blabbering etc that are synched with the screens.

He can't have the long pauses, he has to stay in rythm with the click only the band hears otherwise the backtrack ends before he's done with the riff...

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Chinese intro is one of the best examples. Ashba doesn't have the pauses and hard slams.

The reason is simple : Ashba is playing to the intro backtrack ( which wasn't there entirely during the 2006 shows, it would stop right before Robin's part. Now the whole song tempo is dictated by the beginning )...The chinese blabbering etc that are synched with the screens.

He can't have the long pauses, he has to stay in rythm with the click only the band hears otherwise the backtrack ends before he's done with the riff...

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the millisecond long pauses he does in the riffs, which are part of the riff. Ashba doesn't "play" those.

Do any of the new fucking people really matter? I mean, they are covering music that they didn't fucking write. Personally, I loved finck and bucket not because of how they covered older songs, but because of how they helped write the new songs (mayhap some of you liked axl's new bandmates because of previous shit that they actually participated in making, that's cool). Shit, if by some chance frank and ashba and bumblefoot and who the fuck ever else write some new songs with axl under the moniker of "Guns 'n Roses" and I like those songs, then I will give them credit for something useful, but at this point... search fucking youtube and look at the schmucks who post videos of themselves playing/singing new gnr shit. aside from "well done" who gives a shit about them? Oh you are the dude who sings like axl? Or plays like slash? Or drums like ... any fuck who plays drums...? Only thing I like about DJ Ashba at this point is that he wants to do NEW stuff with GnR. Until that happens, anything outside of that and actually doing new stuff is shit to me.

and second edit... current band members can rip the old shit up all they want. Axl is the only guy whose input into that shit that I love matters. They can put their own spin. Fine by me. Why not. Don't try to duplicate the dude who wrote it. That would be sad.

Edited by angrybananapeel

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the millisecond long pauses he does in the riffs, which are part of the riff. Ashba doesn't "play" those.

Yeah he doesn't always play the phrasing and accents the way that the previous players played them

I'm still going to give DJ a chance to write some material with GNR before I make assumptions, cause who knows maybe once he spends more time with the band he will gel more with the rest of the band