The U.S. tour is selling miserably....

Nick85

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some other big name openers that aren't named Sebastian Bach might spice things up a bit. Any word on those yet?

Buckcherry for several dates at the start of the tour.

Ali

Yeah, we've known about those 5 dates for a month now. I'm surprised we havent heard about any other openers, what with the states tour starting next week and all. There was some talk about Bas, but he just tacked on more November dates of his own the other day. Kinda hard to book bands that matter on a whim. Especially bands that might sway someone to buy a ticket when otherwise they wouldn't.

I honestly don't know many people would buy an expensive ticket to see a show if they were only or primarily interested in seeing the opener. Maybe some diehards for the band in question. Buckcherry has had some reasonable commercial success in recent years, but it's hard to say how much of a difference they could make in sales as an opener.

I actually wouldn't mind if there was no opening band, just GN'R :thumbsup:

Ali

The ONLY reason at this stage I can think of is that he doesn't want to publicise the new guys in the hope that some people will still buy tickets expecting to see the old guys at the show.

:rofl-lol:

That's too cute.

I know it's ridiculous but that kinda proves my point. There's NO good reason not to make an effort and promote things in that case.

Right. Because when GnR performed at the VMAs, Axl coulda sworn the fans thought Buckethead was Slash.

The ONLY reason at this stage I can think of is that he doesn't want to publicise the new guys in the hope that some people will still buy tickets expecting to see the old guys at the show.

That's too cute.

I know it's ridiculous but that kinda proves my point. There's NO good reason not to make an effort and promote things in that case.

Right. Because when GnR performed at the VMAs, Axl coulda sworn the fans thought Buckethead was Slash.

Yeah and how'd that tour work our for ya? ;)

Some other big name openers that aren't named Sebastian Bach might spice things up a bit. Any word on those yet?

Ali

Yeah, we've known about those 5 dates for a month now. I'm surprised we havent heard about any other openers, what with the states tour starting next week and all. There was some talk about Bas, but he just tacked on more November dates of his own the other day. Kinda hard to book bands that matter on a whim. Especially bands that might sway someone to buy a ticket when otherwise they wouldn't.

I honestly don't know many people would buy an expensive ticket to see a show if they were only or primarily interested in seeing the opener. Maybe some diehards for the band in question. Buckcherry has had some reasonable commercial success in recent years, but it's hard to say how much of a difference they could make in sales as an opener.

Ali

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts opening for Aerosmith convinced me to go see them again. :shrugs:

I'm not saying the opener would be a major selling point, but it is certainly a decent factor. If you're an average rock fan who's into GNR and the opener, wouldn't you be more likely to buy a ticket?

That's too cute.

All because Axl didn't go on Leno?

Ali

Ali

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts opening for Aerosmith convinced me to go see them again. :shrugs:

I'm not saying the opener would be a major selling point, but it is certainly a decent factor. If you're an average rock fan who's into GNR and the opener, wouldn't you be more likely to buy a ticket?

Yeah, it would be a decent factor. As far as the last question, it's difficult to answer because I'm far from an average rock fan who's into GN'R. :rofl-lol:

I can imagine a good opening act helping somewhat to solidify some people's stance on going. But, I honestly can't see the opening act by themselves convincing people by and large to go that otherwise wouldn't at all. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Ali

That's too cute.

All because Axl didn't go on Leno?

Certainly couldn't have harmed ticket sales though I think half the interview would've been taken up explaining that he wasn't in Cypress Hill at the time. I don't know what you're getting at anyway? I said it was a ridiculous reason but purely to illustrate just how ridiculous it is do make no effort with any promotion.

The point I'm getting at is that people, and I wouldn't call them fans, are bitching about promotion when they have no idea what the fuck they're talking about, especially since this U.S. tour hasn't even started.

You want Axl to play theaters, just so it'll "sell-out". You want Axl to go on Leno when he hardly ever goes, or went, on talk shows.

Quit bitching about promotion, ticket sales, new music, set lists, Axl's voice, DJs hat, Ron's stormtrooper helmet, etc. etc. If you don't have ticket to the show, quit bitching. If you do, quit bitching and enjoy the show, or don't go.

American television essentially broke GnR wide open.

Anyone remember a little channel called MTV?

They used to show rock videos and do interviews with bands.

GnR "whored" themselves out to MTV on several occasions.

Not to mention the Grammy's,MTV Music Awards and countless other awards shows they performed on,and happily accepted awards.

What's with the reluctance to see GnR on national tv now? :confused:

I didn't wanna post this because I didn't want to start any trouble, but I figured since you brought it up....a couple of weeks ago I was at my buddy's house, and my buddy Alex ended up dropping by later. None of them are even remotely into GNR like I am, other than for the hits. But they know I'm a huge fan. He comes up to me and says "Hey dude, did you hear Guns N Roses are gonna be going on tour soon?" And I told him yeah, but was unsure if I wanted to spend the money, especially since it's not the same without the other guys." He then, to my surprise tells me "No dude, I swear I heard on the radio that it's gonna be Slash and everybody, I'm surprised you didn't know." I then, of course, corrected him. I still don't get where he got that it was gonna be a reunion tour of some sort. Unless a radio dj actually did slip up. But now that I've read your post, I guess people are a lot more naive as to who is, and who is not in the band anymore. It actually caught me off guard.

The thing a lot of people don't realise is that outside of these boards very few people know anything about GnR or the current lineups. Does the average man in the street have any recollection of the VMA performance or the 06 tour lineup? The point I'm trying to make is that doing the talkshow circuit and a few interviews would be a great way to communicate with a much larger audience outside of the current dwindling fanbase. That's the point of it all. You need to let people who have never heard a GnR song know about the tour or even those who used to be fans back in the day but haven't seen anything of the band since the Illusions days. In that case I think it's fairly credible that a lot people may think the old lineup has either reunited or are still together.

Not to mention the Grammy's,MTV Music Awards and countless other awards shows they performed on,and happily accepted awards.

Something tells me Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba, Dizzy, Frank, Chris, Tommy, and Richard would be thrilled to do all of the above.

What on earth could be the holdup then, and more, why? Tough one.

Edited by sofine11

Quit bitching about promotion, ticket sales, new music, set lists, Axl's voice, DJs hat, Ron's stormtrooper helmet, etc. etc. If you don't have ticket to the show, quit bitching. If you do, quit bitching and enjoy the show, or don't go.

So basically, noone should criticize anything? Isn't this a discussion board? And even a discussion board dedicated to one of the most dysfunctional bands there is? How would it look like if no discussions had an element of criticism? Would we just be agreeing on how good everything was? That would be creepy, can't even imagine that... Oh wait, such a board exists..

Ali

Ali

I honestly can't see the opening act by themselves convincing people by and large to go that otherwise wouldn't at all. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Ali

No offense Ali, but you are wrong about this. The opening act can be a major influence on ticket sales. I've bought tickets to a few shows, because I was more interested in the opening act and I'm sure I'm the norm.

Saw the Cure, because I wanted to see Interpol, saw Paramore, because of Tegan and Sara etc.

The point I'm getting at is that people, and I wouldn't call them fans, are bitching about promotion when they have no idea what the fuck they're talking about, especially since this U.S. tour hasn't even started.

You want Axl to play theaters, just so it'll "sell-out". You want Axl to go on Leno when he hardly ever goes, or went, on talk shows.

No offence but who are you to say who is and isn't a fan? I've been into this band for over 20 years, I've just got back from a tour of the states where the original reason for the trip was to see where it all began in LA and where I came back from a night on Sunset Strip with this only last Saturday.

f3990e16.jpg

I've got every record INCLUDING CD which I actually love and that's what makes it all the more frustrating when you see something you love being run into the ground so comprehensively! We get pissed and bitch not cos we want to see the band fail but because we want them to succeed. Show the world and the fans that Axl is still a force to be reckoned with and that this new band have something to offer besides covers of 25 year old material.

To see Axl deliberately refuse to make the most of the gifts he's been blessed with is a crying shame and for all that I think the guy's amazing I'm not going to let that stop me calling him on his bullshit.

Something tells me Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba, Dizzy, Frank, Chris, Tommy, and Richard would be thrilled to do all of the above.

Yeah there's that angle...but I'm really asking the people here who seem to think it's a shitty idea?

Fallon would book these guys in a hearbeat!

One song and a lighthearted interview...I think it would be pretty cool!

It wouldn't hurt anything.

Can you imagine the coverage?

Christ...the topic thread on here alone would be insane!

Yeah there's that angle...but I'm really asking the people here who seem to think it's a shitty idea?

You're right, it would be HUGE.

As for the people saying it's a bad idea, I think that's just a matter of certain apologist fans trying to defend every move Axl makes. If he did it, they'd flip out with happiness and rip into anyone who criticized the performance. If he doesn't, well, he'd be "whoring himself out" anyway since "He's not $la$h". :rolleyes:

I'm convinced that some posters here couldn't think objectively about Axl if their lives literally depended on it.

I'm convinced that some posters here couldn't think objectively about Axl if their lives literally depended on it.

I often think that Dazey is crackpot pain in the ass .. BUT in this thread he is right on. Thanks for standing up!

p.s. not sure if you are from Dallas, but just got back from there a week ago.......that rail system rocks....wasn't there when I went to school. My city lacks so much anticipation and planning for the future....Dallas Rocks!

Ali

Ali

I honestly can't see the opening act by themselves convincing people by and large to go that otherwise wouldn't at all. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Ali

No offense Ali, but you are wrong about this. The opening act can be a major influence on ticket sales. I've bought tickets to a few shows, because I was more interested in the opening act and I'm sure I'm the norm.

Saw the Cure, because I wanted to see Interpol, saw Paramore, because of Tegan and Sara etc.

I don't think you're the norm, sorry. I don't know anyone who has gone to see a show simply because of the opening act, despite having NO interest in the main act. If you have marginal interest in the main act, sure, I could see the opening act pushing you over to the purchasing side, but not if you have no interest in the main act.

Ali

Fuck all. Guns n Roses are touring my hometown for the first time since my favorite album's official release. That's good enough for me! If you find this so upsetiing, may I suggest that you fuck right off to a Velvet Revolver forum and leave those of us alone who actually like to get fucked in the arse on a regular basis by Axl and wouldn't criticise him for anything if our lives depended on it.

I don't think it's a shitty idea to be on national TV at all. But your mentions of being on MTV are essentially irrelevant now because MTV is night and day in its programming difference from two decades ago until now. They don't show music videos anymore, plain and simple. There is still Fuse and VH1 Classic and what-not, but none have the reach that MTV once had, especially in GN'R heyday.

Ali

I agree with you to an extent. I could give a fuck what people are or aren't into.

However...

Selling tickets to fill arenas is essential. Because I have a feeling if this tour flops, chances are they'll be done touring the states. They would literally become the laughing stock if they started playing 200 seaters, and I don't think axl would settle for that. Think the haters and media are on fire with the band now? I can only imagine what it will be like for the band if another tour flops. In my most honest opinion, I don't think they should be going on tour again without something new to at least perform. People in the states aren't gonna pay to go to the same show they barely cared about going to in 2006.

I can dig that, but again, I'm not into this band for "people" or what they think.

I honestly hear that "If the tour fails they may never tour the US again" argument, but my thing is this; I have no control over that so I'm going to enjoy what I can when I can. Mine isn't to wonder why or how Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses or any other band does things, ya know? I just roll with what happens and discuss the things I like and I don't like.

The US tour hasn't even started yet and doesn't for what, another week and a half? They're running radio and tv spots like other bands do so far and they're on tour in other countries so they really can't be doing any tv shows to promote the tour so far in the US being that they're elsewhere.

We'll have to see what happens. I'm not expecting any promotion like that but if it happens, cool. I know this, my fiancee and I are going over to Chicago to meet a buddy and check out the show. All 3 of us are pumped and it's gonna be epic whether it's 20000 people or just us and GN'R. Same thing in Detroit except I'm bringing more people to this one.

The bolded/italicized portions pointed out for truth. Well said, Russ. Very well said. I've been hearing the "if the tour fails they may never tour the US again" argument for almost a decade now. Whatever. All I know is that half-empty or not, the band plays their asses off with tons of energy when I have seen them.

Ali

Yep. People constantly forget that. When I saw them at The Palace in 06, no one was in the upper deck at all. Here were are in 2011 and they're playing The Palace again, this time they're not even selling upper deck tickets.

Sometimes I honestly don't understand why people can't just be Guns N' Roses fans. Why must every single detail have some fault found with it?