The U.S. tour is selling miserably....

Nick85

I think there are a few factors in why the tour seems to be selling slowly. Obviously there is a promotion or awareness issue. I don't know what kind of promotion you expect Axl to do when he is on tour in Mexico right now. Its not like he is just sitting around doing nothing. I think the sales will pick up after the Orlando show when people realize this tour is actually going to happen, because it seems a lot of people don't think its going to make it to the states. Also lack of a support act is hurting the sales as well. We live in a world of package tours these days, it is very strange for a band to go out on their own and sell out an arena. It happens but it is rare. They need a strong support act for these shows and then people will be more inclined to buy tickets, expecially at the prices they are charging, because it is steep for one band. Sebastian Bach is also NOT the answer. People dont just buy tickets for the opening band, but someone who is a fan of GNR AND Buckcherry would be more inclined to lay the 75 bucks out to see BOTH of them, while they may not pay that for just one of the bands. I think a perfect touring combo would have been to play with Avenged Sevenfold. They would bring in a whole new audience and it would merge a classic hard rock band with the hottest hard rock band in the country Every arena would be sold out or close to it with them playing as support, unfortunately they are on tour at the same time. They need a band like that and make it a package tour. I could care less though, Im going to 5 shows and i dont care if im the only one there.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a few factors in why the tour seems to be selling slowly. Obviously there is a promotion or awareness issue. I don't know what kind of promotion you expect Axl to do when he is on tour in Mexico right now.

He had nearly a year to do all the promo and preparation for this tour. Nobody's saying he should drop everything in South America and fly back to do the interview circuit but why wasn't he able to do that last month or even the months prior? Rather than drip feeding US tour dates they could've spent a few weeks doing promo and used the opportunity on TV to announce all the US tour dates including support acts followed by playing a brief song or two for the audience to show them what they're missing. The fact is that all other big bands would have all this done before heading off on tour. Lay the groundwork in advance, promote yourselves and raise your profile to the fans.

Once he hits the US he could do the occasional interview to keep people updated on how things are going and maybe some local radio stuff in each of the cities he lands in to try rustle up some last minute interest and maybe sell a few more tickets to each gig on the day. This might seem a little extreme but only cos you're a GnR fan. That's simply how it works and how everybody else in the industry handles it. Can you imagine how simply following the plan I've suggested would affect ticket sales for this tour? I'm willing to bet you'd manage an extra 25% + tickets sold in certain venues just with that little effort.

Personally I see no problem in making an effort to put yourself out there and make the tour a success for the fans and possibly some newcomers if you get the publicity right. People talk about Axl not wanting to whore himself out but how is doing the rounds to let your fans know you're back and playing in their city any worse than taking £1000,000 for a single private show for a Russian businessman?

Edited by Dazey Does Dallas

Some other big name openers that aren't named Sebastian Bach might spice things up a bit. Any word on those yet?

Buckcherry for several dates at the start of the tour.

Ali

Yeah, we've known about those 5 dates for a month now. I'm surprised we havent heard about any other openers, what with the states tour starting next week and all. There was some talk about Bas, but he just tacked on more November dates of his own the other day. Kinda hard to book bands that matter on a whim. Especially bands that might sway someone to buy a ticket when otherwise they wouldn't.

I honestly don't know many people would buy an expensive ticket to see a show if they were only or primarily interested in seeing the opener. Maybe some diehards for the band in question. Buckcherry has had some reasonable commercial success in recent years, but it's hard to say how much of a difference they could make in sales as an opener.

I actually wouldn't mind if there was no opening band, just GN'R :thumbsup:

Ali

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts opening for Aerosmith convinced me to go see them again. :shrugs:

I'm not saying the opener would be a major selling point, but it is certainly a decent factor. If you're an average rock fan who's into GNR and the opener, wouldn't you be more likely to buy a ticket?

I honestly can't see the opening act by themselves convincing people by and large to go that otherwise wouldn't at all. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Ali

No offense Ali, but you are wrong about this. The opening act can be a major influence on ticket sales. I've bought tickets to a few shows, because I was more interested in the opening act and I'm sure I'm the norm.

Saw the Cure, because I wanted to see Interpol, saw Paramore, because of Tegan and Sara etc.

I don't think you're the norm, sorry. I don't know anyone who has gone to see a show simply because of the opening act, despite having NO interest in the main act.

Then you don't know many people. People that are fans of alternative/marginal acts, like myself, routinely go to shows where they have no interest in the main act.

I swear, this site is full of so many idiots who think they know how Axl *should* be behaving. I've just never seen so many nincompoops, like the thread creator for instance, who believe that by posting on message boards, they will somehow influence Axl. It's sort of sad, but then, I s'pose, looking through sofine's posting history, I'm beginning to get a picture of what his/her/its life is like. Kinda sad actually. I honestly think that sofine needs to seek a psychiatrist instead of trying to play one for Axl. lmao

your mentions of being on MTV are essentially irrelevant now because MTV is night and day in its programming difference from two decades ago until now.

Two decades ago,and beyond...television was an important factor in the success of this band.

They knew it and used it to their advantage.

Mentioning the relevance of that fact,in a thread where people are going "LOL GnR on tv...wut?...lol",is substantial.

It doesn't have to be MTV they go on.It doesn't have to be VH1 Classic or Fuse....that's not the point.

The point is...GnR doing a song,and perhaps an interview with the host,any host,Fallon,Leno whatever..would not do any harm,at all.

They don't show music videos anymore, plain and simple. There is still Fuse and VH1 Classic and what-not, but none have the reach that MTV once had, especially in GN'R heyday.

Perhaps not,but THESE DAYS...appearing on a late night talk show can reach the masses.

When a band is appearing on Leno...all I see on Facebook is "MOTORHEAD ON LENO TONIGHT!!"...or whatever band/show it may be.It never fails.

It happens on here too.I see heads-up-mentions about bands/musicians performing or appearing on upcoming tv shows.

The most recent one..."DUFF McKagan on DR. PHIL tomorrow!!!".

GnR on Fallon could,and probably would,go a long way.

At the very least,it could put an end to people around me going "do they still have that fuckin chicken-bucket guy?" :tongue2:

I swear, this site is full of so many idiots who think they know how Axl *should* be behaving. I've just never seen so many nincompoops, like the thread creator for instance, who believe that by posting on message boards, they will somehow influence Axl. It's sort of sad, but then, I s'pose, looking through sofine's posting history, I'm beginning to get a picture of what his/her/its life is like. Kinda sad actually. I honestly think that sofine needs to seek a psychiatrist instead of trying to play one for Axl. lmao

It's got nothing to do with trying to change anything Axl does it's called a discussion fella. That's what the title of this board is in case you failed to notice? " GUNS N ROSES - DISCUSSION & NEWS" it's at the top of this page in nice shiny yellow letters. Somebody pointed out that ticket sales for the tour are seeming a little slow. That's the original post and we're then supposed to contribute to the related discussion cos that's how it works. Is it that odd to suggest ticket sales are slow because as usual Axl's made no effort to promote the tour? We're simply asking why when every other band can promote themselves Axl seems unwilling to bother? It wouldn't be an issue if he could still sell 30,000 tickets on the GnR name alone but that's simply not that case and whatever some may say it does affect the atmosphere at a show when the venue's half empty simple as that! Thing is that if they must insist on playing large venues then it's up to them to try and fill them if at all possible. Personally I'd prefer a packed theatre to a half full Arena, I think it would make for a great show!

beating a dead horse man...enjoy the show, at least you'll have alot of room to move around...look at the bright side

Exactly. Enjoy the show!

At Gexa venue sometimes if the seats aren't full, they will allow the people from the lawn to move up. All I know is all the 100 section is sold out and most of the 200 sections except for the 2 side ones where it's hard to see the stage. I don't know how the lawn is sellilng. It's hard to tell.

I think some people are waiting for the day of their show to make sure Axl is going to show, so they don't want to get stuck with tickets. lol I know in 2002 I had 4 tickets that I had to cash in, but with ticketmaster you don't get the convenience charge back and it's like 13 bucks a ticket now.

I just want Axl and GNR to be healthy and happy to be doing this US tour. The fans will come, don't worry about it.

This is a do or die tour for Axl and hopefully he'll start and finish this tour with a bang!

Some other big name openers that aren't named Sebastian Bach might spice things up a bit. Any word on those yet?

Ali

Yeah, we've known about those 5 dates for a month now. I'm surprised we havent heard about any other openers, what with the states tour starting next week and all. There was some talk about Bas, but he just tacked on more November dates of his own the other day. Kinda hard to book bands that matter on a whim. Especially bands that might sway someone to buy a ticket when otherwise they wouldn't.

I honestly don't know many people would buy an expensive ticket to see a show if they were only or primarily interested in seeing the opener. Maybe some diehards for the band in question. Buckcherry has had some reasonable commercial success in recent years, but it's hard to say how much of a difference they could make in sales as an opener.

Ali

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts opening for Aerosmith convinced me to go see them again. :shrugs:

I'm not saying the opener would be a major selling point, but it is certainly a decent factor. If you're an average rock fan who's into GNR and the opener, wouldn't you be more likely to buy a ticket?

I honestly can't see the opening act by themselves convincing people by and large to go that otherwise wouldn't at all. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Ali

No offense Ali, but you are wrong about this. The opening act can be a major influence on ticket sales. I've bought tickets to a few shows, because I was more interested in the opening act and I'm sure I'm the norm.

Saw the Cure, because I wanted to see Interpol, saw Paramore, because of Tegan and Sara etc.

I don't think you're the norm, sorry. I don't know anyone who has gone to see a show simply because of the opening act, despite having NO interest in the main act.

Then you don't know many people. People that are fans of alternative/marginal acts, like myself, routinely go to shows where they have no interest in the main act.

No, I know plenty of people, thanks :thumbsup: I just don't know too many - or any - who would pay what the GN'R shows are going for just to see the opening band if they have no interest whatsoever in the headlining act.

Ali

Ali

Ali

Ali

I know people who saw GnR open for the Cult and left after GnR.

Some stuck around for a few Cult songs,but,following Guns...they were just a limp balloon.

GnR's impact was that great.

They came back gushing about this opening band they saw called Guns N Roses.

I think Axl's going for an underground arena vibe. Sort of like a Field of Dreams type thing. He's the Shoeless Joe of rock.

a disgrace to the game?

He's sort of been banned from the Major League in the US. And New GNR is like Eight Men Out if you consider MPC 2000 to be a member of the band.

I think Axl's going for an underground arena vibe. Sort of like a Field of Dreams type thing. He's the Shoeless Joe of rock.

a disgrace to the game?

He's sort of been banned from the Major League in the US. And New GNR is like Eight Men Out if you consider MPC 2000 to be a member of the band.

not to go off topic..

I get what you were saying. despite some my opinions about the direction axl has taken gnr, i don't consider him a disgrace. Shoeless is a disgrace to the game imo...

your mentions of being on MTV are essentially irrelevant now because MTV is night and day in its programming difference from two decades ago until now.

Two decades ago,and beyond...television was an important factor in the success of this band.

They knew it and used it to their advantage.

Mentioning the relevance of that fact,in a thread where people are going "LOL GnR on tv...wut?...lol",is substantial.

It doesn't have to be MTV they go on.It doesn't have to be VH1 Classic or Fuse....that's not the point.

The point is...GnR doing a song,and perhaps an interview with the host,any host,Fallon,Leno whatever..would not do any harm,at all.

They don't show music videos anymore, plain and simple. There is still Fuse and VH1 Classic and what-not, but none have the reach that MTV once had, especially in GN'R heyday.

Perhaps not,but THESE DAYS...appearing on a late night talk show can reach the masses.

When a band is appearing on Leno...all I see on Facebook is "MOTORHEAD ON LENO TONIGHT!!"...or whatever band/show it may be.It never fails.

It happens on here too.I see heads-up-mentions about bands/musicians performing or appearing on upcoming tv shows.

The most recent one..."DUFF McKagan on DR. PHIL tomorrow!!!".

GnR on Fallon could,and probably would,go a long way.

At the very least,it could put an end to people around me going "do they still have that fuckin chicken-bucket guy?" :tongue2:

If you'll note, I specifically said I don't think going on national TV is a shitty idea.

I just think MTV is the wrong example to use of a television avenue that could help GN'R now given that they focus almost entirely on reality and/or scripted programming now, not music videos. I think talk shows are one of the few viable means for widespread, mass exposure for musical acts

Ali

a disgrace to the game?

not to go off topic..

I get what you were saying. despite some my opinions about the direction axl has taken gnr, i don't consider him a disgrace. Shoeless is a disgrace to the game imo...

I don't think so. Cheating has always been a part of the game. In fact, it's what I respect most about baseball. It reflects Western culture better than any other sport.

Of course it's not sold out. Why? Because it's not 1992 anymore. It's not the same 'Guns' as people knew and rock music isn't at the forefront anymore. Times have changed. As long as I get up front, Who cares?

Similar acts from even long ago routinely have no trouble selling out venues of this size! Would you say that the Rolling Stones would have trouble selling out stadiums cos it's not 1969 anymore?

Ali

Ali

Ali

I know people who saw GnR open for the Cult and left after GnR.

Some stuck around for a few Cult songs,but,following Guns...they were just a limp balloon.

GnR's impact was that great.

They came back gushing about this opening band they saw called Guns N Roses.

Yeah, but that was about two and a half decades ago. Ticket prices have increased so much over the years. And, I think the case of GN'R back in the '87-'88 time frame was unusual. An exception, not the rule. Factor in the increase in ticket prices and the fact that we're in an economy that is stagnant at best in the US, and I honestly can't see that many people paying big money for shows when they have zero interest in the headlining act and ONLY the opening act. Again, maybe if they're marginal on the headliner, but not really if there is no interest in the headliner.

Ali

Of course it's not sold out. Why? Because it's not 1992 anymore. It's not the same 'Guns' as people knew and rock music isn't at the forefront anymore. Times have changed. As long as I get up front, Who cares?

Similar acts from even long ago routinely have no trouble selling out venues of this size! Would you say that the Rolling Stones would have trouble selling out stadiums cos it's not 1969 anymore?

The Stones? That's your point of reference? If there was an exception-not-the-rule example of enduring success and appeal commercially, it would be the Stones.

Ali

If you'll note, I specifically said I don't think going on national TV is a shitty idea.

I just think MTV is the wrong example to use of a television avenue that could help GN'R now given that they focus almost entirely on reality and/or scripted programming now, not music videos. I think talk shows are one of the few viable means for widespread, mass exposure for musical acts

If you'll note,I did not suggest that MTV is a show they should go on now.

How easy would it be for Axl to, say, release the alternate/newer OMG to us right now and crank it out live a few times, just as a treat for fans to hype up the tour? What would be the harm in that?

Just baffling how little this band, err, Axl does for the fans.

Edited by sofine11

The Stones? That's your point of reference? If there was an exception-not-the-rule example of enduring success and appeal commercially, it would be the Stones.

Ali

U2, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Metallica, The Eagles, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty? I can go on but I only mention those specifically because they were in the top 25 grossing tours of last year. All older than Guns and Guns were as big as or bigger than all of them in the past and there's no reason they couldn't still be had they made the effort to stay in the public eye while touring, promoting and releasing new music.

Most of the U.S. shows will probably sell poorly whether it be lack of promotion,no new material, etc etc... This reminds me of 2006 they canceled Fresno and Bakersfield due to poor ticket sales but played Oakland and it was far from being sold out but lars from Metallica showed up. I don't see how a band can sell big arenas with no promotion especially in the states they are doing an underground type promo with facebook and forums like this one. Its sad to see your favorite band who's latest album even though it was released in 2008 is better than most of the fake shit that is out there today, but poor promotion is gonna kill this tour!

Edited by axlr23

I think some people are waiting for the day of their show to make sure Axl is going to show, so they don't want to get stuck with tickets.

:lol: It doesn't work that way!

You know you're getting Axl Rose when he walks on stage!

Even then...you aren't guaranteed a full show until he leaves the stage...at the end. :tongue2: