The U.S. tour is selling miserably....

Nick85

I haven't seen metallica guys or acdc on Leno.

Those guys are still selling out shows all over the world and they've been consistently touring for the last 20 years and more. Bit of a difference.

On the other hand, they don't have an album as good as Appetite or Chinese Democracy. Bit of a difference.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those guys are still selling out shows all over the world and they've been consistently touring for the last 20 years and more. Bit of a difference.

On the other hand, they don't have an album as good as Appetite or Chinese Democracy. Bit of a difference.

Sorry but AC DC certainly have material better than CD. Not that any of that's related to the topic at hand.

That's a fair point. Most here just want to see their favorite band have the success they deserve.

Point is that right now they don't deserve any success. They're still playing the same old setlist, Axl's not promoting things, is still showing up unprepared and giving poor performances. They'll deserve success when they work for it and that's the whole point of this thread.

Most here just want to see their favorite band have the success they deserve.

Basically sums up the sentiments of this thread. I just want to see GNR successfully take over the states again, like they've done all over the rest of the world. Sad that some idiots see that as trolling or complaining.

Sorry but AC DC certainly have material better than CD. Not that any of that's related to the topic at hand.

They don't have a single album which is as good as CD as a whole. They do have killer songs but it's one or two each album... none of their album matches the awesomness of an Appetite or CD.

They don't have a single album which is as good as CD as a whole. They do have killer songs but it's one or two each album... none of their album matches the awesomness of an Appetite or CD.

Music is subjective. That's YOUR opinion.

As opposed to concert attendances which aren't.

But do you just sell out as soon as you don't sell so much? does that just make you feel like a whore. it would be cool for fans but it might fuck up like Dr Pepper.

But do you just sell out as soon as you don't sell so much? does that just make you feel like a whore. it would be cool for fans but it might fuck up like Dr Pepper.

It's got nothing to do with feeling like a whore at all! You have to work for your success and how's that a bad thing? If I'd worked hard on something for years I'd want to get out there and tell people about it so what's the big deal? Some of those other bands may not do the promo as much but their success means they don't have to right now. Axl may be playing to half full venues and it would help immensely if he was willing to give the fans a little something extra. I don't know how reaching out to your fans is a bad thing or selling out at all.

I'm not sure if many of you are aware how most touring contracts work, but generally all the risk is with the promoter, not the artist. In most cases there are likely opt-out clauses for both parties, but in terms of poor ticket sales, only the promoter faces the possibility of losing money. The artist is generally paid up front on a per-show basis plus the proceeds of merch (as Krusty the Clown puts it, the sweetest plum).

If the shows aren't selling well, it's not Axl and co. who will feel the pinch. Even if the tour is scrapped due to poor ticket sales, the band itself will likely be paid an opt-out fee on a per-show basis.

But I do agree that seeing a band in front of a sold-out audience is more fun than seeing a sea of empty seats. Always reminds me of Spinal Tap for whatever reasons.

Cheers,

Andrew

One more thing, don't forget that the touring business is an aggregate in nature. Not every show has to sell-out or pack in a full audience. So long as concert attendance reaches a certain benchmark throughout the entire tour both the promoter and artist will see a return on investment. One sell-out show can subsidize another stop that doesn't sell as well.

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm not sure if many of you are aware how most touring contracts work, but generally all the risk is with the promoter, not the artist. In most cases there are likely opt-out clauses for both parties, but in terms of poor ticket sales, only the promoter faces the possibility of losing money. The artist is generally paid up front on a per-show basis plus the proceeds of merch (as Krusty the Clown puts it, the sweetest plum).

If the shows aren't selling well, it's not Axl and co. who will feel the pinch. Even if the tour is scrapped due to poor ticket sales, the band itself will likely be paid an opt-out fee on a per-show basis.

But I do agree that seeing a band in front of a sold-out audience is more fun than seeing a sea of empty seats. Always reminds me of Spinal Tap for whatever reasons.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great post! I think that's one of the reasons for the lack of promotion. Axl knows he's getting paid no matter what so why go that extra mile for the fans if there's no incentive? Same as the deal for CD was already in place meaning it didn't matter how many copies it sold cos Axl already got paid.

Edited by Dazey Does Dallas

I don't really have a problem with it. It's just in the face of the face of the supposed flop of CD in the US then all of a sudden Axls doing a chat show? The media jump all over that. It's a bit "now that's our records don't sell we do car commercials" I don't think they are that desperate. I mean did he do Leno in AFD era? Why not? Doesn't want to? I don't know. Personally think Bumble and Axl should go on and do juggling show. Or could tell some Slash stories on live prime time. To me the Better video might be good before US tour.

It's got nothing to do with feeling like a whore at all! You have to work for your success and how's that a bad thing? If I'd worked hard on something for years I'd want to get out there and tell people about it so what's the big deal? Some of those other bands may not do the promo as much but their success means they don't have to right now. Axl may be playing to half full venues and it would help immensely if he was willing to give the fans a little something extra. I don't know how reaching out to your fans is a bad thing or selling out at all.

I don't really have a problem with it. It's just in the face of the face of the supposed flop of CD in the US then all of a sudden Axls doing a chat show? The media jump all over that. It's a bit "now that's our records don't sell we do car commercials" I don't think they are that desperate. I mean did he do Leno in AFD era? Why not? Doesn't want to? I don't know. Personally think Bumble and Axl should go on and do juggling show. Or could tell some Slash stories on live prime time. To me the Better video might be good before US tour.

I'm not talking about doing car commercials or endorsements or shit like that cos you'd be right that would be whoring himself out. What I'm talking about is simply Axl sitting across from Letterman or similar, talking for a few minutes about the band with maybe the odd funny anecdote thrown in and the tour then playing a couple of songs. Can't see why anybody would object to that. :shrugs:

Edited by Dazey Does Dallas

This is true, but at same time Axl didn't do chat shows when they were at commercial peak. they did videos. Axl did way less interviews than Slash during illusion era. He seems to prefer big blow outs and these funny tour incidents like biting security guards foot or riding mechanical bull. maybe Axl is more viral, Rio was massive publicity, then the airport incident, then the Slash thing, Hall of fame is coming up, the US tour maybe it is time to drop Better video, do cover of Playgirl and go on Jimmy Fallon.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great post! I think that's one of the reasons for the lack of promotion. Axl knows he's getting paid no matter what so why go that extra mile for the fans if there's no incentive? Same as the deal for CD was already in place meaning it didn't matter how many copies it sold cos Axl already got paid.

Axl can't call up these shows and say 'I want in'. Just because he's not on them doesn't mean he hasn't tried.

We don't know.

Also - with more sellouts Axl could negotiate a higher fee the next time touring comes around. Or less dates and bigger buildings - whatever he wanted - if there's a growing trend he'd have some more leverage.

You don't want to be in the position of losing money...even if it's not yours, it makes business difficult in the future I'd imagine.

Edited by Gagarin

Oh yes, I "get it" :rolleyes: That's why I said I agree with the talk show example as being relevant. In case you missed that.

Hard to miss,you've mentioned it a few times now. :)

Television is no longer capable of breaking a band open in this day and age, though. I think those days are long since over.

I didn't suggest otherwise.

However I don't doubt that television exposure can help, but not to the degree it once did.

But it could potentially boost a U.S. tour?...topic...right?

Perhaps that's why some people aren't as responsive to the idea of it working in their favor these days.

Perhaps that's why some people are trying to point out that it could boost a U.S. tour...topic...right?

Now...may I,in turn, remind you of my initial question?...as typed...in my initial post?

What's with the reluctance to see GnR on national tv now?

How you deduced I wanted them to reappear on MTV in 2011 so it will break nuGnR into a superfantabulous worldwide sensation is beyond me! :confused:

Then why bring up the MTV example if it is so far beyond the realm of possibility in this day and age? Why not just leave it at the Roger Waters example? Anyway, sorry for misinterpreting your intent in bringing up the MTV thing.

Regardless, I think the reluctance is that the impact of TV and TV appearances is less tangible than it was in the golden age of MTV. MTV could have a very profound and tangible impact back in the day. It's hard to judge what the impact of a late night talk show appearance in this day and age.

Ali

The casual rock fan in the US doesn't even knows GNR is touring unless they bother to find out about it on their own. It just baffles me how they expect to sell tickets and call this tour a success when nobody in the media ever hears from Axl and the tour really isn't even promoting anything new as of right now. It's just like the release of CD all over again where there's no promotion and it seems like Axl genuinely doesn't care what happens. It sucks because the public perception of him would change if he bothered to show that he cared about promoting his own stuff. Nobody is saying to give interviews every month or anything...just, you know, appear in the public every now and then to stay relevant.

I would have liked to see more house of blues type shows personally. Maybe play the Roxy or something etc. It's always more fun to see your favorite band in venues like that than in arenas imo. Much more personal and interesting.

Edited by Nintari

Axl won't promo a tour he has been forced into?............... that is a huge shock.

To be honest it wouldn't matter either way, he appears to have an odd attitude towards his career.Most musicians want people to show up but Axl seems to assume that those that don't show up make no difference and he figures they are not worth it.Its odd in so many ways.Maybe he feels he is as relevant as he was in 91, sadly he is not.

It will only get worse.

Are you retard?????Guns do it too

Guns have been constantly touring for the last 20 years have they? Funny I must be retarded cos I could've sworn they didn't manage to complete a full tour from 1993 to 2006? Correct me if I'm wrong oh wise one! Also the fact that they've failed to sell even close to all the tickets for every US tour since 1993 kinda makes me call bullshit on your other point.

I just want to say that based on the recent shows Axl sounds miserable. It is not acceptable that he did not practice. Together with this cover band they destroy the glory of the original band. This is it. It is a shame that tickets are not selling well. The original lineup could sell all the tickets even without new songs. The case is very similar to the Queen without Freddy.

Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven should attend one of these concerts, should go in front of the stage and I would die to see the face of the no name musicians on the stage. (maybe not no name but for the world they have nothing to do with GNR)