"Closet" GNR fans

Coma16

So I can't think of more than a handful of people who have given CD and nuGuns a fair shake. I am will to bet that there are actually a lot more out there but just don't want to come out of the closet, so to speak. Is GNR (post 2000's) a guilty pleasure? What do you think?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I can't think of more than a handful of people who have given CD and nuGuns a fair shake. I am will to bet that there are actually a lot more out there but just don't want to come out of the closet, so to speak. Is GNR (post 2000's) a guilty pleasure? What do you think?

You mean: Is GnR - post 1990 - a guilty pleasure ... in particular, in North America ...

People being "closet" GnR fans has nothing to do with the NEW GnR but everything to do with OLD GnR!

Because when the alternative era arrived with the emergence of bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam, everybody bailed on GnR!

GnR was no longer cool. Their music sounded outdated and weak compared to all the alternative bands.

Now that Axl has revived GnR with much better music, and much better live shows, GnR is now slowly becoming cool again. And if GnR ever releases a new video and does more promotion, GnR has what it takes to be the biggest band around again.

You mean: Is GnR - post 1990 - a guilty pleasure ... in particular, in North America ...

People being "closet" GnR fans has nothing to do with the NEW GnR but everything to do with OLD GnR!

Because when the alternative era arrived with the emergence of bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam, everybody bailed on GnR!

GnR was no longer cool. Their music sounded outdated and weak compared to all the alternative bands.

Now that Axl has revived GnR with much better music, and much better live shows, GnR is now slowly becoming cool again. And if GnR ever releases a new video and does more promotion, GnR has what it takes to be the biggest band around again.

Lol I have no idea what planet you live on mate

I can kind of relate to this I guess, being 21 years old there aren't a whole lot of people in my circle who take Guns N' Roses seriously so I don't talk about them too much... I've only met a few people over the past few years that appreciate GNR as much as me, and its always kind of a big deal when that happens haha.

Person 1: "nah...I hate Guns N' roses! Axl was an asshole"

*turn on radio, Paradise City is playing*

Person 1: "OH! I Love this song!:

Person 2: "You realize Guns N' Roses sings this?"

Person 1: "Oh really?"

I think it's one of those things where you're 'not allowed' to like the newer stuff by a band more than their old stuff?

That is definitely how it is on this forum. People actually get mad and offended if you dare say you like CD songs better than an appetite song.

I think it's one of those things where you're 'not allowed' to like the newer stuff by a band more than their old stuff?

That is definitely how it is on this forum. People actually get mad and offended if you dare say you like CD songs better than an appetite song.

True. I admit I'm an ass at times (huge original GnR guy...get a little defensive about the originals at times), but I also think CD is damn good/great. If Axl woulda done it right (as we've talked about 100X's) with proper promotion it woulda been big/massive.

Bobbo, guys like you and sunny don't come right out and say GnR sucks and that you hate them. But what you do do is make little snide remarks and pull out anything possible that is negative....and you do it in EVERY topic.

No matter what the topic is, I always know that you, sunny, and about 5 others will have something negative to say. It just gets old after awhile.

The next show could sell 6000 tickets. And all 6000 people could say it was the greatest show they have ever been too. And the first comments from any of your group would be:

Venue holds 10,000 though.

They didn't debut any new songs.

Started an hour late as well.

Everything you guys say has a subtle negative tone.

GnR didn't bail on the people. They released The Spaghetti Incident.

Pre-Grunge Era 1991: Both UYI records sold 6-7 million records in the USA.

Grunge Era 1993: TSI sold only about 1 million records in the USA.

The TSI even had a video to promote it. And there was even major controversy with the Charles Mansion song. But by 1993, nobody cared any more about GnR.

So yeap, thanks to bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, etc ... GnR did indeed become UNCOOL.

Ask any kids growing up in that time period that was in grade 7 to college. You were laughed at for still being a GnR fan. Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder were the new kings of rock. Peer pressure rules!

Even to this day, there are NEW ROCK radio stations that don't play any GnR songs, old or new. And they definitely don't play any VR songs too even though Scott Weiland of STP was the singer.

In fact, I read about a NEW ROCK radio station that did a POLL asking their listeners if they think songs from "Chinese Democracy" should be played. The majority of the listeners voted NO. A lot of very negative comments like, "Don't play that GnR crap on here," or "GnR is not NEW ROCK".

So yes, Axl and his band still have a lot of hard work to convince the COOL people that their NEW music is indeed cool and worthy of artistic respect.

the people didn't "bail" on GNR. GNR bailed on the people.

one day they just disappeared....

Here's a brief history lesson:

Aug 27, 1991: "Ten" by Pearl Jam released

Sep 17, 1991: UYI by GnR released

Sep 24, 1991: "Nevermind" by Nirvana released

So nobody really knew who Nirvana or Pearl Jam were when UYI was released.

But by early 1992, "Teen Spirit" was the biggest song in the country. Nirvana became the biggest band in the world.

By late 1992, Pearl Jam's "Ten" got to #2 on the Billboard Top 200.

Both "Nevermind" and "Ten" went on to sell over 10 million records in the USA.

So by late 1992, Nirvana and Pearl Jam were the two biggest rock bands in the world. The new sound of rock music effectively changed in 1992. The alternative rock era, or the NEW ROCK era, had begun.

So by the end of 1992, what GnR was doing was now OUTDATED. People started to put their GnR gear in the "CLOSET" in favor of what was coming out of Seatle.

By the end of the UYI tours in 1993, GnR had effectively become irrelevant. Hence, the lack of media attention and poor sales of "The Spaghetti Incident".

Slash believed his Snakepit crap was the new sound for GnR.

But Axl was smart enough to see the writing on the wall and began his embark on a new journey for GnR, which we all now call "Chinese Democracy".

I must be living on a different planet. I thought GN'R were one of the biggest bands (perhaps THE biggest band) of the early nineties...

But I was born in 1994, so I'm not going by firsthand knowledge.

People being "closet" GnR fans has nothing to do with the NEW GnR but everything to do with OLD GnR

This is absolutely 100 percent not true regarding new GNR being the cause for GNR "slowly becoming cool again" - because things really haven't changed. Particularly here in North America...

It is no secret that the old band is preferred in general here.. hell even Axl admitted in the Eddie Trunk interview that NA cares more about the name than SA. Here from my experiences in North America the majority of people who dig GNR love the hits they hear on the radio, and the majority of them openly bash the idea of GNR without its members from the old days (not saying they are right in doing so, but they certainly do it)

Granted I love old and new GNR but to say that the new music is the reason for matching "GNR" and "cool" in North America is just completely off base

Edited by WhazUp

OLD GnR does have a legion of diehard "CLOSET" fans in the USA - just like bands like Motley Crue and Bon Jovi does too.

That is what the record company wanted. That is what Azzoff wanted. For OLD GnR to reunite and tour on materials from AFD to UYI because that is easy money. It is GUARANTEED money for everyone!

But that is not what Axl wants for GnR. To be a nostalgia PROSTITUTE band like Motley Crue. Or to be a band that only makes music that sounds like it was from 1987 to appeal to its diehard fans.

Axl wants GnR to continue creating INNOVATIVE NEW MUSIC that people can respect artistically TODAY.

Could OLD GnR be touring right now on materials from AFD to UYI era? You bet! They could be making good $money$ doing this.

But then, just like Motley Crue, they would be IRRELEVANT!

The media wouldn't care. Music critics wouldn't care. Historians wouldn't care. Young people wouldn't care. Popular culture wouldn't care.

The only people who would care are your parents! I mean, people who's teen years were the late 80's to 1992.

So your claim, that GnR would be "cool" right now if they were the OLD band touring on materials from AFD to UYI, is just fantasy.

It is because of the NEW MUSIC from this NEW BAND that is giving GnR the chance to "cool" and RELEVANT again in popular culture and history.

This is absolutely 100 percent not true regarding new GNR being the cause for GNR "slowly becoming cool again" - because things really haven't changed. Particularly here in North America...

It is no secret that the old band is preferred in general here.. hell even Axl admitted in the Eddie Trunk interview that NA cares more about the name than SA. Here from my experiences in North America the majority of people who dig GNR love the hits they hear on the radio, and the majority of them openly bash the idea of GNR without its members from the old days (not saying they are right in doing so, but they certainly do it)

Granted I love old and new GNR but to say that the new music is the reason for matching "GNR" and "cool" in North America is just completely off base

Edited by gnrfan2007

Mental institution isn't working for you :(