That Metal Show with guest Axl Rose [Sneak Peek]

Nosaj Thing

56 guests reading topic, how about signing up and discussing the topic :)

Join in!

Okay. I don't think this is a big deal. If anything, I would like to have seen more from him all along. I caught the old crew (91-92) and caught the new crew (Orlando) and have to say, I had a blast both times, Axl sounds great now. I think that part of the issue is fans want GNR to be the biggest band in the world again and that won't happen because ROCK is not the biggest music anymore, sad but true. Still, I saw GNR and The Wall (Roger Waters) in the same year so I am happy. The money I spent this year on music made me happy, fuck everyone and everything else. sorry to be crass but you asked me to join in ;-p

You're right though.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched it on youtube. have to admit that I was hoping for some more "news," but all in all I thought it was an AWESOME interview. it's so nice to hear axl just talking about whatever... and it's neat to see him in such a jovial mood - he is so serious in all of the older interviews, and it's nice to see him joking around etc.

even though we didn't really get any news about new songs or a new album, it was still great. I really think Axl should start doing more interviews like this. seeing something like this every couple of months would be RADICAL! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Exactly homo! LOL

And Axl could have refused, like how he refused to go on after James Hetfield got burned during the Montreal concert turn riot.

But Axl complied. 2 of the 3 reasons was because of Slash.

Actually Axl's manager that he was mad at for booking the tour saved his life.

Idiot.

B)

He said if he didn't comply, he would've gotten sued.

It was cool to see him talk...he should do it more often...I would've wanted to know what actually happened with the release? the most awaited album in rock history comes out...lead singer gone...no one knows anything...no one talks...3 years later we still don't know what happened...how could they not ask that? right after trunk asked about how he felt about chinese...that could've been the perfect follow-up question...but he just left at that..

it was also cool to learn that he didn't want to make videos to give to for people to get to know the material better...I dig that....sometimes it's cool to see the video later and be like...hey didn't think of it like that at all...or smth like that....I visualize all the songs I listen to...so I'd be very excited to see the videos...and it seems like there's hope to see videos at some point

one of the main questions I would like to ask would be about the meanings behind the songs and the lyrics...but I don't that would be the kind of question Axl would answer after a show just like that...I think this would probably be a written response

anyhow it was great to see him!

also I thought the part with Bumblefoot was great...there was obviously a joke or two in there about DJ :D The 'No TM at the end' :D I have no problems with DJ...Axl and him seems to have a good relationship and they both seem to inspire each other and he sounds like a cool down-to-earth dude, nothing pretentious and overly douchey...and I think that artists should promote themselves, but what I don't undestand is that....the guy has TWO facebook accounts, a twitter account and TM at the end of his name :D I think that's overkill, that's all I'm gonna say

and one more thing, I think the interviewers should've involved Ashba at least a lil' bit...and then get some interaction with DJ and Axl...they didn't even pay any attention to him...of course he's not going to say anything out of the blue...it's Axl interview but since Axl wanted him there they could've at least involved him a lil' bit...I thought that was sort of awkward and could've been resolved in a better way....but I understand it was 5AM and it was Axl's first interview in I dunno how long...but just a few thoughts

Edited by ppruks

There's actually a lot of info given through out the years by various people, including members of the band, and Axl himself.

This interview by Axl is like more pieces of the puzzle. And the puzzle is becoming clearer.

The interview has just come out and peeps are already drawing conclusions based on a few vague sentences... This is just as bad as the forum member who analyzed Axl's body langauge and thought it proved he was lying....

+1

I think you are reaching here. Axl did not have a crystal ball back in 1991 and thought "OH SHIT!! I HAVE TO TOUR OR ELSE SLASH WILL DIE!!". Hell even if he did, it is not known Slash WOULD die, not everyone on drugs dies you know? Without knowing whether or not Slash would have died for certain, you cannot say he saved his life.

Yeah, really. Jackshit would have happened.

You also don't understand how band royalties or partnerships work. They wouldn't get a cut of anything 'Guns' did afterward, that they didn't have anything to do with, after they died.

That's not how it works. There's many ways to organize businesses. Guns was a partnership or limited partnership. On termination or death, usually, partnerships dissolve unless they have terms and rules setup. Guns did. Someone leaves or is terminated, they become a terminated partner, and only receive certain specified incomes from that partnership.

Who knows if there was an allowance for continuing the partnership after DEATH.

It's likely that a DEATH could have voided the GNR partnership and they'd have to form a new legal entity.

Izzy leaving or Steve getting kicked out might have made them draft a new partnership agreement. (FYI, Axl is not in the 'Guns N' Roses' partnership. Duff and Slash still are, Axl is a terminated member.)

Whatever the specifics were, no one was going to be receiving 1/5 or 1/3 of future royalty and other income even in death.

NOT. HOW. IT. WORKS.

Fantasy world.

Really? You really think Slash and Duff's estate would not seek a way to get as much money as they legally can from GnR and the record company?

That's real naive of you!

Axl gets sued all the time for dumber reasons!

Now, if Slash and Duff had died before signing those legal papers that the GnR manager got them to sign ...

Then everything GnR does post them, GnR would have to pay royalties to Slash and Duff's estate.

For example, GnR would have to pay royalties from CD and GnR merchandise to Slash and Duff's estate.

You telling that would not be a headache for GnR?

causing GnR and the record company to be sued for not doing enough to help and rehabilitate Slash (and Duff).

No. Back then, no one would have thought of suing the record company or the GNR partnership. Rockstars and celebrities drank and shoot themselves up to death all the time.

You're thinking it was 2007 back in 1991.

No one was going to file a civil suit in 1991 over an OD-ed guitarist or drunk bassist.

You know so much about that world that isn't so.

it was also cool to learn that he didn't want to make videos to give to for people to get to know the material better...I dig that....sometimes it's cool to see the video later and be like...hey didn't think of it like that at all...or smth like that....I visualize all the songs I listen to...so I'd be very excited to see the videos...and it seems like there's hope to see videos at some point

It was also very weird to hear Axl say that because didn't he say the Better video was going to come out "in a week or so" in 2008?

I am confused, I know he didn't want to do the 2001 tour but is it confirmed he really didn't want to do the Illusion tours in the earls 90's?!?!? That's crazy, that tour spanned years and held some of the original bands best shows! I must have missed something?

I am confused, I know he didn't want to do the 2001 tour but is it confirmed he really didn't want to do the Illusion tours in the earls 90's?!?!? That's crazy, that tour spanned years and held some of the original bands best shows! I must have missed something?

He didn't wanna tour in 1991. Axl didn't say anything about subsequent UYI tour years.

Yeah there's going to be edited footage that we might think is interesting that was lost on what the editors thought would be interesting, or what they think viewers would like.

There's always bonus clips and...whatever.

Plus it's nice that he actually did this. If only it was a few years ago... ;)

But it's a new day.

But it was like they'd ask a question and edit put half of Axl's answer, so things seemed awkward and incomplete.

Hopefully we can view uncut footage.

The usually put the full interview on VH1Classic.com. Sure, it was an hour show, but with the LALD song, commercials, and the opening, it could have been cut short 20 minutes or so, maybe more.

Yeah there's going to be edited footage that we might think is interesting that was lost on what the editors thought would be interesting, or what they think viewers would like.

There's always bonus clips and...whatever.

Plus it's nice that he actually did this. If only it was a few years ago... ;)

But it's a new day.

AND BOOM.

He just answered CD 2.

And it's what I've been saying for a damn while now.

Management. Label. Work things out. Got to figure that out first. Boom.

He can write poetry and listen to guitar parts and play the piano all he wants, but without management and management working things out with the label, they can't really do anything with new music.

So yes, he's "working Chinese" and also thinking of the future.

That's what I think too. It seems like management and the label either are holding out to release an album in hope of a reunion, or it's not finished yet.

MANAGEMENT isn't holding jack up for a reunion. Maybe Azoff 'sabotaged'. But they've been without real management for awhile. They got this Peter guy now. They had Doc before for a short time. A successful GNR manager has to make a tour happen in the states and he has to find a way to negotiate or renegotiate terms with the record label and make a business case for a new GNR record. A manager works for the artist and he has to make a business case for a new GNR record and make sure the release gets done right.

I don't think the label has anything to gain from a GNR reunion. Maybe the back catalog would sell more?

All the label wants is to have product out that isn't flopping without writing many more checks. And not to have a flop when they report to their shareholders.

From Marc Canter (longtime friend of both Axl and Slash and writer of Reckless Road)

"The record Co. wanted a reunion so they could sell more records. So they did everything they could to try and make that happen. Slowing up the the new Guns record hoping somehow they would get Slash back. Also not really promoting the Snakepit stuff. This was the same thing that happen with Aerosmith and The Joe Perry project, nothing was promoted well in hopes that Aerosmith would get back together with the old lineup. The record co is only in it for the money. The only way slash could have got Snakepit promoted better would be if he was with a different record co. and they would have to know that there was no way to get their hands on GNR. But even if Axl had somehow chanced records companies, the new one would have done the same thing. They would always want to go with what once worked instead of try something new."

:shrugs:

That's one guy's interpretation of things. From stuff that happened in the 90's.

Label isn't caring about a reunion. It's 2011. And no one is going to write the label a check for 12 million dollars to release Chinese 2. And no one in the label cares about GNR, they're looking for the next big hit they can sell a lot of units with while not having to pay them anything. They ARE in it for the money. And Slash wouldn't make a bit of difference in 2011.

Edited by Gagarin

Regarding video, at this point, I don't see why they don't have someone else do a video and just sign off on it and let it hit youtube. I have seen the Catcher video, that was great(!) but it's not released. This is not the freakin 80's, we don't need a 10 million dollar video... it feels like it is held up because someone must be expecting something different than what todays market is about. I think they should take a hand-cam and video Axl in a hot-tub with a blow-up dolphin singing TWAT and call it a day.

He didn't wanna tour in 1991. Axl didn't say anything about subsequent UYI tour years.

Indeed.

AND the record wasn't out.

AND he was fresh from divorce.

AND a miscarriage.

Wasn't that kind of all one tour from say... 90-93 ? I always thought of that as the illusion years. Sorry, not trying to be stupid... but I caught this remark as "during the most productive touring years of this band, I didn't want to be there" I may be off just because of a lack of knowledge...help me out.

Wasn't that kind of all one tour from say... 90-93 ? I always thought of that as the illusion years. Sorry, not trying to be stupid... but I caught this remark as "during the most productive touring years of this band, I didn't want to be there" I may be off just because of a lack of knowledge...help me out.

He didn't say he didn't wanna tour the Illusion albums. He said he didn't want to do it specifically in 1991 (probably for all the reasons Gagarin listed).

Owning the GnR name is the most important piece!

If Slash and Duff still had rights to the name of GnR, then Axl would have to seek permission from Slash and Duff every time he wants to release something under the name GnR.

And what would Slash and Duff want in return for permission? Oh ... perhaps $$$$$$$$$$?

Vice versa as well.

Every time Slash and Duff would want to release old materials from the band, they would have to seek permission from Axl for using the name "GnR". That is why if TODAY Slash/Duff wanted to release old songs, they can't use the GnR name without seeking Axl's permission.

Slash/Duff could release the old materials if they didn't use the GnR name, but what good that be?

Which is why Axl can't release the re-recorded AFD songs by the new band members because Slash/Duff wouldn't approve it. But Axl can release NEW materials and call it GnR.

Yeah, really. Jackshit would have happened.

You also don't understand how band royalties or partnerships work. They wouldn't get a cut of anything 'Guns' did afterward, that they didn't have anything to do with, after they died.

That's not how it works. There's many ways to organize businesses. Guns was a partnership or limited partnership. On termination or death, usually, partnerships dissolve unless they have terms and rules setup. Guns did. Someone leaves or is terminated, they become a terminated partner, and only receive certain specified incomes from that partnership.

Who knows if there was an allowance for continuing the partnership after DEATH.

It's likely that a DEATH could have voided the GNR partnership and they'd have to form a new legal entity.

Izzy leaving or Steve getting kicked out might have made them draft a new partnership agreement. (FYI, Axl is not in the 'Guns N' Roses' partnership. Duff and Slash still are, Axl is a terminated member.)

Whatever the specifics were, no one was going to be receiving 1/5 or 1/3 of future royalty and other income even in death.

NOT. HOW. IT. WORKS.

Fantasy world.

Really? You really think Slash and Duff's estate would not seek a way to get as much money as they legally can from GnR and the record company?

That's real naive of you!

Axl gets sued all the time for dumber reasons!

Now, if Slash and Duff had died before signing those legal papers that the GnR manager got them to sign ...

Then everything GnR does post them, GnR would have to pay royalties to Slash and Duff's estate.

For example, GnR would have to pay royalties from CD and GnR merchandise to Slash and Duff's estate.

You telling that would not be a headache for GnR?

causing GnR and the record company to be sued for not doing enough to help and rehabilitate Slash (and Duff).

No. Back then, no one would have thought of suing the record company or the GNR partnership. Rockstars and celebrities drank and shoot themselves up to death all the time.

You're thinking it was 2007 back in 1991.

No one was going to file a civil suit in 1991 over an OD-ed guitarist or drunk bassist.

You know so much about that world that isn't so.

Edited by gnrfan2007

Didn't tour in 90.

His remark seems to be in 1991.

Staying home and getting an album out and going out in 92, in hindsight, to him, seems like the saner thing to do. And it might have been.