Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dizzy and Matt are/were employees, not band members. They're riding the coattails of 5 other guys into the Hall. Congrats I guess. :lol:

They were fully fledged band members in the Illusions era,... the band's most successful stint by far.

Well deserved to both of them

LA

No, they were not fully fledged members. They were employees. The original partnership was split 20% for each of the 5 guys. Then Adler was fired in 1990 and it was dropped to 4 guys in the partnership. Sorum and Dizzy were brought in and paid a salary, no different from the guys currently in the band including Stinson. When Izzy quit, the partnership dropped to 3 guys and Gilby was hired as an employee. Axl was able to get signed authority from Slash and Duff to keep the name if he left the original partnership. Then in 1995, he left the original partnership and formed a new band under the name Guns N' Roses with Slash and Duff relegated to employees just like Matt, Dizzy, and Gilby.

Look, without getting into technicalities... Both guys toured the Illusion albums. Both guys contributed to the albums. Both guys will forever be heard when those albums are played. Unlike Gilby.

Like it or not, they deserve it

LA

I disagree. GN'R would not be getting into the Hall of Fame if they only released the Illusion albums. Likely 75-80% of the reason they're getting in is AFD. Like it or not, those two guys are riding the coattails of the original 5.

Dizzy and Matt are/were employees, not band members. They're riding the coattails of 5 other guys into the Hall. Congrats I guess. :lol:

They were fully fledged band members in the Illusions era,... the band's most successful stint by far.

LA

No, they were not fully fledged members. They were employees. The original partnership was split 20% for each of the 5 guys. Then Adler was fired in 1990 and it was dropped to 4 guys in the partnership. Sorum and Dizzy were brought in and paid a salary, no different from the guys currently in the band including Stinson. When Izzy quit, the partnership dropped to 3 guys and Gilby was hired as an employee. Axl was able to get signed authority from Slash and Duff to keep the name if he left the original partnership. Then in 1995, he left the original partnership and formed a new band under the name Guns N' Roses with Slash and Duff relegated to employees just like Matt, Dizzy, and Gilby.

Look, without getting into technicalities... Both guys toured the Illusion albums. Both guys contributed to the albums. Both guys will forever be heard when those albums are played. Unlike Gilby.

LA

I disagree. GN'R would not be getting into the Hall of Fame if they only released the Illusion albums. Likely 75-80% of the reason they're getting in is AFD. Like it or not, those two guys are riding the coattails of the original 5.

I dont give a flying fuck if you disagree. They've earned their stripes and are getting inducted. Deal with it

LA

LA

LA

AFD was their most significant album true. But the Illusions also were significant on their own. You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Don't Cry, LALD, KOHD, and Civil War are still played on the radio twenty years later. You don't just get that to happen ONLY because your first album was a success. Regardless of "what would've been", what happened is those songs are significant. And Matt and Dizzy have contributions to those songs. Again, they earned it.

Who has impacted Guns n Roses?

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Adler, Dizzy, Sorum, Stinson, Pitman, Finck----they all deserve hands down to be inducted as GnR

On the Bubble:

Bucket---wrote and impacted a great deal of CD and unreleased material. His idas, playing, etc have shaped GNR post classic lineup. Problem is he only toured once. But hes first on the bubble list because he is all over the actual music

Gilby- Played on the legendary Illusion tours. Which is one reason why GNR are being inducted- Drawback is he hasnt contributed anything to the actual GnR catalogue

Brain---has written and played on an album and has contributed to unreleased material. Like Bucket, he was in the studio for many yrs shaping the musical direction of GNR post old lineup

If one gets in the other should as well. Otherwise they should be left out

This is not rocket science.

Anyone pre classic lineup and anyone post CD should not be included (at least to date)

Axl should throw a curveball and act cordial about this whole thing. Which seems to be the way he is playing it. Be there on stage with the old band, share a laugh, acknowledge Tommy, Pitman, FInck and the people who helped continue and call it a night. Then he can continue doing what hes doing.

Well to be honest they are being inducted for AFD, lies. and illusions and who played on those records.They are the musicians that sold 90% of the records and 100% of the hits. I do love Chinese Democracy and wish they all could go but still I understand why they choose the band who made the hits and sold the majority of records

Personally I would love to see Bumble and the guys up on stage too

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

AFD was their most significant album true. But the Illusions also were significant on their own. You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Don't Cry, LALD, KOHD, and Civil War are still played on the radio twenty years later. You don't just get that to happen ONLY because your first album was a success. Regardless of "what would've been", what happened is those songs are significant. And Matt and Dizzy have contributions to those songs. Again, they earned it.

See, my problem is they might as well be like Elvis' backing band. The backing band didn't get elected into the Hall with Elvis. Dizzy and Matt were employees who didn't add enough to the band's work to say, "Oh yeah, those songs would have sucked without them." You might say the same about Adler, but at least he wasn't an employee.

See, my problem is they might as well be like Elvis' backing band. The backing band didn't get elected into the Hall with Elvis. Dizzy and Matt were employees who didn't add enough to the band's work to say, "Oh yeah, those songs would have sucked without them." You might say the same about Adler, but at least he wasn't an employee.

+1

kleenex-box2.jpg

Because Elvis was a solo gig, Guns N Roses were a band. At the time, Axl hadn't taken everything over. They were a band. And Dizzy and Matt were a part of the band's success at that time.

We don't know "what would've been" without them. No matter the probability of your opinion, it's impossible to determine that now, when everything's said and done. All we know for fact is the songs they contributed to were successes. And they're rightfully getting awarded for it.

Edited by Bobbo

Because Elvis was a solo gig, Guns N Roses were a band. At the time, Axl hadn't taken everything over. They were a band. And Dizzy and Matt were a part of the band's success at that time.

We don't know "what would've been" without them. No matter the probability of your opinion, it's impossible to determine that now, when everything's said and done. All we know for fact is the songs they contributed to were successes. And they're rightfully getting awarded for it.

We have an idea based on the demos that didn't involve them. The best and most popular material on UYI was stuff that GN'R had been working on before either of them showed up. Axl was working on November Rain before the AFD lineup was even formed. YCBM was an AFD reject. DC was the first song the AFD lineup wrote together. It was played in plenty of club gigs before AFD came out. There are demos of these songs floating around that kick ass. The songs were already amazing before Sorum or Dizzy touched them.

Because Elvis was a solo gig, Guns N Roses were a band. At the time, Axl hadn't taken everything over. They were a band.

You mean "are"

Edited by GNRSkidRow1

We have an idea based on the demos that didn't involve them. The best and most popular material on UYI was stuff that GN'R had been working on before either of them showed up. Axl was working on November Rain before the AFD lineup was even formed. YCBM was an AFD reject. DC was the first song the AFD lineup wrote together. It was played in plenty of club gigs before AFD came out. There are demos of these songs floating around that kick ass. The songs were already amazing before Sorum or Dizzy touched them.

They tinkered around with them in the olden days, but their final product is what counts. They both wrote and recorded their own contributions and added to them during the sessions. That's what people heard, and those products were significant hits.

That's the only thing that matters.

Because Elvis was a solo gig, Guns N Roses were a band. At the time, Axl hadn't taken everything over. They were a band.

You mean "are"

They ARE a dictatorship. :lol: