Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, there are a lot of fanatic Bon-era loonies who say "it's not the same", AC/DC is no longer AC/DC without Bon etcetera, etcetera. They are very similar to some of our fellow forum members and Appetite era fans at large.

I call BS on that comparison. Johnson's contributions to Back In Black automatically make him a more legit member than the guys in Axl's current version of GN'R. Back in Black is the most successful AC/DC album by a long shot. Chinese Democracy is a flop compared to AFD, Lies, and UYI. And it's a gigantic flop when you consider the $15m cost to produce it.

Call it what you want. I was not comparing Black in Black to Chinese Democracy, both of which happen to be two of my all time favorites, by the way.

But, the mentality of fans who refuse to accept Brian is very similar to those who pour scorn on the new band in the hope that Axl and Slash will one day love each other again like brothers, and that we will all become one. :violin:

Edited by The Archer

Will you hear them praise ex-Gunners teaming up with mediocre singers, who pale in comparison to Axl, to cover GNR songs? Yes.

Hey, some of us don't support EITHER scenario. I can't stand to hear Myles rape songs like Brownstone.

Or Civil War... my God he sucks...

Will you hear them praise ex-Gunners teaming up with mediocre singers, who pale in comparison to Axl, to cover GNR songs? Yes.

Hey, some of us don't support EITHER scenario. I can't stand to hear Myles rape songs like Brownstone.

:lol:

Actually, I don't mind Myles doing Brownstone (not too bad) as much as hearing him squeal on Civil War. The first time I heard him do that, it caused me physical trauma :tongue2:

Weiland though, with his androgynous dance moves and his imitation Axl voice, was an atrocious parody doing Brownstone.

Edited by The Archer

The only reason I can fathom "Guns N Roses Fans" would want to see the current version of GnR perform at GnR's Hall of Fame Induction Ceromony is never having seen the AFD Lineup play, and not being around when they were first breaking onto the scene and blowing up into what they became - other than that, I just can't fathom it.....

and I'm not one to clamor for the AFD lineup to get back together----but for this one night, hopefully these knuckleheads can put their 15 yr old+ differences aside and act like adults, maybe even play a few songs

Actually, I don't mind Myles doing Brownstone (not too bad) as much as hearing him squeal on Civil War. The first time I heard him do that, it caused me physical trauma :tongue2:

Weiland though, with his androgynous dance moves and his imitation Axl voice, was an atrocious parody doing Brownstone.

Myles is bad on Civil War, but nothing is worse than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q1Wze1KD_c

Actually Brian Johnson was able to something that was fucking incredible which was being able to give AC/DC an even bigger period of critical success which is almost impossible to do when you replace the singer. Massive props to him for that

Hmmm, he was also lucky to be the right person to walk in at the right moment, right when AC/DC were just exploding. Powerage and Highway to Hell are my favorite AC/DC albums of all time - IMO, better than Black in Black or anything else afterwards. Brian still can't do the Bon era songs that well (some performances of DDDDC , WLR and HTH blow you out of the water though)

But, does that make those later albums or any of Brian's time fronting the band, just shit?

Oh, no. Definitely not. It's just that they were the products of different lineups and different singers, but great all the same. Most fans accepted changing times and changing realities with AC/DC.

Sadly, that will never happen with many people from the GNR fanbase.

Will you ever catch a Slash fan praising the beautiful music on Chinese Democracy? No.

Will you ever hear them praise the amazing skill of the new line up and how well they play the old material? No.

Brian would be the first to say he's a lucky bastard but sucks how he got the gig in the first place.

Back in Black plays like a "Greatest Hits", but always felt AC/DC should've released the Australian versions worldwide years ago. Bonfire should've been revamped after Let There Be Rock on DVD and Backtracks came out. Still don't get why they put Back in Black on there, but having a CD of the concert, Volts, and the radio show performance were still worth getting it for.

I puked blood after the 1st verse and I got ear cancer at the second...

Or Civil War... my God he sucks...

Civil War is the worst one, is painful to listen to be honest

Edited by Duda

The only reason I can fathom "Guns N Roses Fans" would want to see the current version of GnR perform at GnR's Hall of Fame Induction Ceromony is never having seen the AFD Lineup play, and not being around when they were first breaking onto the scene and blowing up into what they became - other than that, I just can't fathom it.....

and I'm not one to clamor for the AFD lineup to get back together----but for this one night, hopefully these knuckleheads can put their 15 yr old+ differences aside and act like adults, maybe even play a few songs

I have seen the Illusion lineup live and have seen hundreds of videos of the AFD lineup.

I still prefer GNR today....much better for many obvious reasons.

That is my opnion.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8q1Wze1KD_c

:rofl-lol:

Same here. It's probably my favorite GN'R song. Love everything about it, including the vocals. Axl has talked before about how that song had some of the most unique vocals he ever attempted. It's really sad to hear Myles butcher it, just the same as it's sad to hear Slash's solos butchered by any of Axl's guys.

I have seen the Illusion lineup live and have seen hundreds of videos of the AFD lineup.

I still prefer GNR today....much better for many obvious reasons.

That is my opnion.

+1

Exact same history of seeing the band as you. I saw the Illusions line-up multiple times and though I had a blast at the shows and there was something cool and dangerous about seeing the biggest band in the world in their late 20's/early 30's- I find the CURRENT version of Guns (i.e. with DJ and Frank) a far superior and more consistent experience (though I found the Bucket, Brain, Finck era a little more hit or miss).

Admittedly, a big part of it is that Axl seems a lot more comfortable with himself and the fans with this line-up than any other. Whatever- with Axl closing in on 50 I'd rather see him in that environment/setting for the next 5+ years than looking and acting like he drank a quart of sour milk or something while on stage with Old Guns in some kind of forced reunion... Just my .02 cents...

I didn't know that Slash released a Live album. I hope other tracks are not like this.....

just the same as it's sad to hear Slash's solos butchered by any of Axl's guys.

You haven't been to a GNR show have you? They play them 100 times better than Slash :rofl-lol:

I'm suprised you ever grew to like GnR. Or maybe you hate AFD/UYI/LIES/SI/LIVE ERA since the guitar work, drum work, bass work sucks so bad!

You haven't been to a GNR show have you? They play them 100 times better than Slash :rofl-lol:

I'm suprised you ever grew to like GnR. Or maybe you hate AFD/UYI/LIES/SI/LIVE ERA since the guitar work, drum work, bass work sucks so bad!

Never said the music was bad...it's just certain former members lack the skills to play it properly live. GNR 2011 plays the songs the way they should be played and even add their own little touch and groove to the music.

Well it should be an interesting evening, I really do hope the new/current band are at least present in some way; Dizzy and Tommy would be the most obvious. Although Dio didn't get inducted with Sabbath at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the UK Music Hall of Fame which was an insult IMO as Heaven And Hell is easily one of the best metal albums ever made, definitely up there with Paranoid. So personally I wouldn't be surprised if they're not present. Would also be interesting to see how Deep Purple is handled if/when they're inducted.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Never said the music was bad...it's just certain former members lack the skills to play it properly live. GNR 2011 plays the songs the way they should be played and even add their own little touch and groove to the music.

The only person I think that did a diservice to GNR back in the old days was Sorum imo. He totally ruined the swagger in songs like Jungle. But I personally thought everyone else in the core band did a great job live

That was also at a time where most of the members were at their peak of drug and alcohol addictions. And even then they still played well for their conditions.

Now that they're all clean, they're better live musicians than they have ever been.

We can only speculate on how they would play the songs when it comes to practice time.

I was actually offended when I heard this. WTF does Myles think he's doing?! Is he trying to mock Axl with the nasal-voice crap or was the tone/voice just a 'choice' that he made?

I hope Slash and Axl wont be doing separate sets on R&RHOF if the songs are going to be raped like this... (if either even turn up and decide to put on a show during the event that is <_< )