Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

Dizzy and Matt are/were employees, not band members. They're riding the coattails of 5 other guys into the Hall. Congrats I guess. :lol:

It actually pains me as a diehard Guns N' Roses fan that Dizzy Reed is going to the R&R HoF as a member of Guns N' Roses.

west arkeen did more than matt did lol

Yes!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dizzy and Matt are/were employees, not band members. They're riding the coattails of 5 other guys into the Hall. Congrats I guess. :lol:

It actually pains me as a diehard Guns N' Roses fan that Dizzy Reed is going to the R&R HoF as a member of Guns N' Roses.

The piano parts are a real KEY to the UYI sound.

Civil War, November Rain, Estranged, yesterdays, pretty tied up.... all those great songs would sound like shit without Dizzy Reed...

AFD was their most significant album true. But the Illusions also were significant on their own. You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Don't Cry, LALD, KOHD, and Civil War are still played on the radio twenty years later. You don't just get that to happen ONLY because your first album was a success. Regardless of "what would've been", what happened is those songs are significant. And Matt and Dizzy have contributions to those songs. Again, they earned it.

See, my problem is they might as well be like Elvis' backing band. The backing band didn't get elected into the Hall with Elvis. Dizzy and Matt were employees who didn't add enough to the band's work to say, "Oh yeah, those songs would have sucked without them." You might say the same about Adler, but at least he wasn't an employee.

Because Elvis was a solo gig, Guns N Roses were a band. At the time, Axl hadn't taken everything over. They were a band. And Dizzy and Matt were a part of the band's success at that time.

We don't know "what would've been" without them. No matter the probability of your opinion, it's impossible to determine that now, when everything's said and done. All we know for fact is the songs they contributed to were successes. And they're rightfully getting awarded for it.

We have an idea based on the demos that didn't involve them. The best and most popular material on UYI was stuff that GN'R had been working on before either of them showed up. Axl was working on November Rain before the AFD lineup was even formed. YCBM was an AFD reject. DC was the first song the AFD lineup wrote together. It was played in plenty of club gigs before AFD came out. There are demos of these songs floating around that kick ass. The songs were already amazing before Sorum or Dizzy touched them.

Exactly. They contributed NOTHING of merit. Any session player could have contributed to the records the way Sorum and Reed did.

Civil War, November Rain, Estranged, yesterdays, pretty tied up.... all those great songs would sound like shit without Dizzy Reed...

+1

It's funny- apparently because Dizzy was not a welcome addition by the rest of the band at the get-go and was subjected to some hazing- 21 years later some folks feel like they can shit on the guy and call him crap. He's a great keyboardist. Made some very noticable contributions to the sound of the massively successful Illusions and has kept his gig with one of the most demanding frontmen (who happens to be a very proficient pianist in his own right) in rock for 20+ years. Dizzy has nothing to apologize for and deserves his place in the HOF IMHO...

Let's also not forget that he appeared on solo albums by Slash, Duff and Gilby... so there's lots of evidence that Dizzy eventually did indeed become an "accepted" member of the band...

I've seen this mentioned countless times on here, particularly recently in reference to why some current members should be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Longevity was another reason.

Honestly, let's break out of our bubble for a moment.

Who keeps the Guns N' Roses name alive more in mainstream America today?

Is it really Axl's hired band or Axl himself?

The classic members and the songs from that era are what still keep the name alive among people.

I would argue Slash has kept the Guns N' Roses name alive simply by his association to the band. When Slash goes out and plays anywhere, no matter where, people associate him with Gn'R.

When Duff was on Dr. Phil, he wasn't introduced as a member of Loaded. He was introduced as a member of Guns N' Roses.

So the argument that Axl's nameless group of performers somehow keep the legend burning is really false. Axl doesn't even do pub for the current lineup. There are no photos. There are no records.

Mind you, I'm a fan of Stinson and Fortus. I'm a fan of the current band. I was blown away when I saw them live. I eagerly await Axl's followup to CD (if there will ever be one).

But the current lineup ... they haven't recorded anything together. The general public would have no clue who they were. They are not Guns N' Roses to the majority of folks.

Axl can change that. They can change that. They can embark on part 2 of the legend simply by putting out their own material.

But they have yet to do that. And likely never will.

Or ... without anyone sitting in and playing piano. It could have been anyone, and that's really been my point. He wasn't instrumental in Guns N' Roses' success.

Or ... without anyone sitting in and playing piano. It could have been anyone, and that's really been my point. He wasn't instrumental in Guns N' Roses' success.

it could have been anyone playing the guitar too... jeez

it could have been anyone playing the guitar too... jeez

That makes no sense. Izzy and company WROTE the music. As someone already said (and it's been glossed over), we've heard many of the demos from songs that became huge hits on Illusions. They were there long before Dizzy and Matt and would have been big hits without those two.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy.

Very cool man. Just think if this band had stayed together (with either drummer). They would still be playing stadiums....

Or dead...

Slash OD'd on tour and was contemplating suicide by the end of his run in the band...

Duff's pancreas exploded...

Axl was completely heartbroken by Stephanie, besieged by law suits, and taking it on the chin on a daily basis from the "alternative" scene that was then popular...

Steven was a complete and utter trainwreck...

Izzy HATED being in a band that big and dealing with all of Axl's "rock star" eccentricities/demands and got as far away as he physically could...

Frankly- we should just be happy they're all still alive to see this day IMHO. I think a big part of the reason that's the case is that they got the fuck away from each other...

You make some good points and the band wouldn't have been the same writing without Izzy but Duff and Slash very much wanted to continue working with Axl as GNR. Duff had sobered up and Slash had gotten off the smack. But Axl preferred to work with people he could dictate. Duff and Slash were the equal of Axl they all came from nothing. Axl can say he didn't fire anyone all he wants but the reality is he forced them to quit.

Kinda like when you're dating someone and you're too much of a pussy to break up with them so you make the relationship unbearable enough for them to break up with you.

Axl started building more confidence as a songwriter and that played a big part in the change.

All the stuff they went through together - they were a "band of brothers". It's hard enough putting a band together, let alone keep it together.

I do agree, but to be fair, I don't even think the UYI booklets credit Dizzy for Estranged or November Rain. On the album I think those two were all Axl on piano, with Dizzy obviously taking Estranged live. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how the UYI booklets credit those songs. Too lazy to go check right now.

I do agree, but to be fair, I don't even think the UYI booklets credit Dizzy for Estranged or November Rain. On the album I think those two were all Axl on piano, with Dizzy obviously taking Estranged live. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how the UYI booklets credit those songs. Too lazy to go check right now.

I know Dizzy didn't play on Estranged, but I'm pretty sure he played on November Rain.

Axl did November Rain. Dizzy probably did Estranged.

Damn it, why does my UYI booklet have to be so far away? :lol:

I just looked through it, it really doesn't help.

oh wait it does. what songs you want to know? I got both booklets

Dizzy:

Dust N' Bones

Don't Damn Me

Civil War

Get in the Ring

Pretty Tied Up

Locomotive

Axl:

Live and Let Die

November Rain

Garden of Eden

Estranged (so I was wrong but Dizzy did it live)

14 years

Breakdown

Yesterdays

Some dude named Howard did So Fine

Edited by BirdCatcher

November Rain and Estranged, who's it list for piano/keyboards on those two? It's just bugging me that I can't remember.

November Rain and Estranged, who's it list for piano/keyboards on those two? It's just bugging me that I can't remember.

i just posted the list. You are welcome.

Axl didn't do the piano on Breakdown? Damn. That was the only one I didn't know. The piano on Breakdown is probably my favorite thing about the UYIs save Slash's playing on Estranged and Axl's vocals on Coma.

Sorry I fucked up. Axl did do Breakdown. He did the best keyboards on the album...what the fuck Dizzy?