Should Tommy be inducted?

JAxlMorrison

Whole lot of ungrateful people appeared out the woodwork in the last few days... If Trujillo got inducted with Metallica then pretty much anyone in GNR at the moment deserves to go in. When is this ceremony? It's only been a few days and I'm kinda sick of talking about it already.

Trujillo shouldn't have got inducted, though. I think everyone agrees on that.

Two wrongs don't make a right. :thumbsup:

Trujillo and not Dave Mustaine was criminal :thumbsdown:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been in the band for 14 years now, longer than anyone except Dizzy overall, I believe. He has toured with Axl on and off for 9 years, was on every CD track (I believe) and is on tons of unreleased stuff that may see the light of day at some point. My question of the forum is, does he deserve to go in?

Tommy (or any other new band member) can be in for 14 years or 40 years. It doesn't matter. They are completely irrelevant to GNRs legacy. The world has no interest in them.

No.

According to what was told to somebody on here, only members that were apart of the band during a time of commercial and critical success and contributed to significant songs are eligible for induction. Chinese Democracy may have been good to you, but nothing significant came out of it.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steve, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones inducted by those rules.

The rules are nonexistent. Robert Trujillo, Jason Newsted and even Dave Mustaine were invited to go with Metallica.

Mustaine was invited to attend, not to be inducted, hence why he didn't show up at all.

And no, Tommy should not be inducted. If anything, Robin and Bucket should be inducted over him. The guy wrote a few basslines(and Riad...). Robin and Bucket wrote whole songs that are almost universally loved by the GnR fanbase.

Edited by Young_Gun

No.

According to what was told to somebody on here, only members that were apart of the band during a time of commercial and critical success and contributed to significant songs are eligible for induction. Chinese Democracy may have been good to you, but nothing significant came out of it.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steve, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones inducted by those rules.

The rules are nonexistent. Robert Trujillo, Jason Newsted and even Dave Mustaine were invited to go with Metallica.

Mustaine was invited to attend, not to be inducted, hence why he didn't show up at all.

And no, Tommy should not be inducted. If anything, Robin and Bucket should be inducted over him. The guy wrote a few basslines(and Riad...). Robin and Bucket wrote whole songs that are almost universally loved by the GnR fanbase.

Agreed, robin and especially Bucket should both receive an honourable mention on the day, if they don't then it will be very disappointing.

No.

Agreed, robin and especially Bucket should both receive an honourable mention on the day, if they don't then it will be very disappointing.

I personally do not think Axl will show up anyway... Hope he does, but he has probably already ruled it out.

He's been in the band for 14 years now, longer than anyone except Dizzy overall, I believe. He has toured with Axl on and off for 9 years, was on every CD track (I believe) and is on tons of unreleased stuff that may see the light of day at some point. My question of the forum is, does he deserve to go in?

Tommy (or any other new band member) can be in for 14 years or 40 years. It doesn't matter. They are completely irrelevant to GNRs legacy. The world has no interest in them.

And with such an open minded fanbase its a wonder New Guns didn't go farther.

My question of the forum is, does he deserve to go in?

No.

VR had more former GNR members than Axl's band : if they induct Tommy, they should also induct Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland.

Tommy should, and that is a sad dumb joke about Dave and Scott . Tommy is a part of Guns N Roses, like it or not. And the other two have nothing to do with the band.

RE: "Tommy has been in longer than Slash"

And Brian Johnson has been in AC/DC more than Bon Scott... so what?

Time has nothing to do with it. Ridiculous.

Poor argument but I doubt any of you kids will listen to reason anyway.

Yeah it's the fans fault. Of course the years of complete inactivity, cancelled shows/tours, embarrassing comeback performances, years of not even knowing if Axl was alive or dead, zero promo/interviews, getting jerked around with the CD release for how long?, the revolving door of musicians has nothing to do with it. Blame the fans who tell it how it is :rofl-lol:

New Guns was never meant to go further. They tour, Axl gets paid. That's enough for him.

New Guns was never meant to go further. They tour, Axl gets paid. That's enough for him.

Yeah, what's quoted above - that's complete and utter crap. :rolleyes:

Ali

Axl gets paid. That's enough for him.

If all Axl cares about is a paycheck then we would have seen more than just 1 album of material in the past decade

Touring earns more than albums. Especially when your Axl Rose and it takes you 15 years to release an album and employ countless employees in this time.

And before someone says it, yes a reunion would earn more but we all know that is out of the question. So what option is he left with? Throw together a band and tour.

Edited by *YOOSH*

As I said in another thread:

Imagine you were an architect, and you designed your own home for you and your family. You live in it for a few years, then divorce your wife - who continues to live in the marital home with her new husband. Many years later, you gain wide recognition for your design of the home and win an industry award.

Would you want some mutherfucker sharing the stage with you, just because he was screwing your ex-wife and lived in your old home?........

LA

If the crux of your analogy is that the band is like the home, then I have to disagree with you in that they are nothing alike. Once the home is built, it is done. There is nothing more that can be contributed to it. But, a band is a living, evolving entity that has continued to live and evolve thanks in part to Tommy's work over the last 14 years.

Ali

Not true. A home can be improved, restored or re-developed. Transformed even...........

But unfortunately, in this case I'd say Tommy's work over the past 14 years (yes.... 14 YEARS) is akin to re-papering the kitchen

LA

The problem is that's just based on your perception of what Tommy's done. I think he's helped to remodel GN'R into something more than a blues-based hard rock band.

Ali

Doesn't matter how long Tommy's been in the band. This is not a Lifetime Achievement Award you get for hanging around. It is for bands who make an indelible mark in music history and Tommy was not a part of that with Guns. But of course you already know that. Hell, Tommy was upfront that he didn't even care for GNR's pre-CD era so I doubt he's losing sleep. Whereas if The Replacements got in, would probably be a whole different deal for him and an incredible feeling of accomplishment.

The Hall inducted the right group...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I would think the newer members would feel very awkward going up there to accept the award. I think it would be very cool if old and new got together and jammed on something. Honestly, though, if it requires the current lineup getting up there with Axl to get him there with the old lineup, then I am just fine with that.

Imagine you were an architect, and you designed your own home for you and your family. You live in it for a few years, then divorce your wife - who continues to live in the marital home with her new husband. Many years later, you gain wide recognition for your design of the home and win an industry award.

Would you want some mutherfucker sharing the stage with you, just because he was screwing your ex-wife and lived in your old home?........

LA

If the crux of your analogy is that the band is like the home, then I have to disagree with you in that they are nothing alike. Once the home is built, it is done. There is nothing more that can be contributed to it. But, a band is a living, evolving entity that has continued to live and evolve thanks in part to Tommy's work over the last 14 years.

Ali

Not true. A home can be improved, restored or re-developed. Transformed even...........

But unfortunately, in this case I'd say Tommy's work over the past 14 years (yes.... 14 YEARS) is akin to re-papering the kitchen

LA

The problem is that's just based on your perception of what Tommy's done. I think he's helped to remodel GN'R into something more than a blues-based hard rock band.

Ali

Doesn't matter how long Tommy's been in the band. This is not a Lifetime Achievement Award you get for hanging around. It is for bands who make an indelible mark in music history and Tommy was not a part of that with Guns. But of course you already know that. Hell, Tommy was upfront that he didn't even care for GNR's pre-CD era so I doubt he's losing sleep. Whereas if The Replacements got in, would probably be a whole different deal for him and an incredible feeling of accomplishment.

You completely missed the point of my post that you just quoted :rolleyes:

And, what, Robert Trujillo helped Metallica make an indelible mark in music history? :rofl-lol: I don't think so.

Ali

LA

Ali

LA

Ali

You completely missed the point of my post that you just quoted :rolleyes:

And, what, Robert Trujillo helped Metallica make an indelible mark in music history? :rofl-lol: I don't think so.

Ali

You can always find rare mistakes like that, they are hardly precedents. Your point is that Tommy's "helped remodel GNR into something more than a blues-based hard rock band". It is one of the most successful and iconic blues-based hard rock bands that is being inducted here. Whatever Tommy did or didn't do after that period is immaterial to this award.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

RE: "Tommy has been in longer than Slash"

And Brian Johnson has been in AC/DC more than Bon Scott... so what?

Time has nothing to do with it. Ridiculous.

Poor argument but I doubt any of you kids will listen to reason anyway.

I do agree that using the "X has been in the band longer than Y" argument is not valid. It would be a different story if new Guns had put out say 3 records of material along with tours. But unfortunately since Tommy's tenure with the band(no matter how long that has been), they have only put out one record compared to the old lineup's 3 LP's, one cover album and 2 EP's. Not counting Greatest Hits or Live Era. So yes, Tommy has been in the band longer than Slash, but the band accomplished more and were more prolific during the early days. Time by itself means nothing.

Edited by Young_Gun

Axl gets paid. That's enough for him.

If all Axl cares about is a paycheck then we would have seen more than just 1 album of material in the past decade

If it was about money, he wouldn't be paying out fines for going on late. Someone should add up all the money GNR's spent over the past 25 years for the times they were fined.