Should Tommy be inducted?

JAxlMorrison

He's been in the band for 14 years now, longer than anyone except Dizzy overall, I believe. He has toured with Axl on and off for 9 years, was on every CD track (I believe) and is on tons of unreleased stuff that may see the light of day at some point. My question of the forum is, does he deserve to go in?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

According to what was told to somebody on here, only members that were apart of the band during a time of commercial and critical success and contributed to significant songs are eligible for induction. Chinese Democracy may have been good to you, but nothing significant came out of it.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steve, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones inducted by those rules.

Agreed, and those are the 7 that are in fact, inducted

He's been in the band for 14 years now, longer than anyone except Dizzy overall, I believe. He has toured with Axl on and off for 9 years, was on every CD track (I believe) and is on tons of unreleased stuff that may see the light of day at some point. My question of the forum is, does he deserve to go in?

Without a doubt, yes.

Whole lot of ungrateful people appeared out the woodwork in the last few days... If Trujillo got inducted with Metallica then pretty much anyone in GNR at the moment deserves to go in. When is this ceremony? It's only been a few days and I'm kinda sick of talking about it already.

No. And I love and respect the hell out of Tommy and Chinese Democracy is my second favorite Guns album after UYI II. He was not part of the band's perceived "hey-day" and just not enough KNOWN contribution to GN'R recordings to justify it.

Frankly, I don't think Tommy would feel comfortable being inducted (as a member of GN'R) anyway- as all it may do is potentially open up the current line-up to ridicule and attack. Hopefully, the HOF comes to its senses and inducts The Replacements at some point. That will be Tommy's time- if it happens. Meanwhile fans and supporters of the current line-up should be pleased that Axl's going in and keep their fingers crossed that Dizzy goes in too...

No.

According to what was told to somebody on here, only members that were apart of the band during a time of commercial and critical success and contributed to significant songs are eligible for induction. Chinese Democracy may have been good to you, but nothing significant came out of it.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steve, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones inducted by those rules.

Didn't Chinese Democracy get great reviews by most critics and sell extremely well throughout most of the world though?

Did it outsell the Spaghetti Incident and Live Era?

It's only been a few days and I'm kinda sick of talking about it already.

how can that be? you've barely said a thing...

Haha, true :P. I guess I meant I'm sick of all the speculation, like, I think it'd be better to just wait and see what happens rather than just have everybody mouth off about what they think "should" happen; essentially leading to the same "old vs. new" arguments you constantly get where you have folks like Coltrane being ludicrously offensive about the current line-up, folks like Volcano making completely ridiculous claims about the lack of importance of the classic line-ups... And the rest of us who appreciate both kinda caught up in the middle of the shouting match which isn't actually achieving anything productive. If this is going to last months, with the reunion crowd having somehow scented blood giving those of us trying to enjoy the current tour hell etc. then this section isn't going to be very much fun to be around.

That's what I'm getting at.

I personally would like all members to get inducted...

Tommy, Richard, Ron, DJ, Dizzy, Chris, Frank should at least get some credit for helping the band continue on.

personally I think the band should have died sometime in 96/97/98 - whenever Duff left is the day the band's name should have died - Personally, I think Chinese Democracy would have done much better in the US and abroad if Axl changed the name of the band, rather than try to pass it off as Guns N Roses, it may have worked for another band, but not one of GnR's stature -

I personally would like all members to get inducted...

Tommy, Richard, Ron, DJ, Dizzy, Chris, Frank should at least get some credit for helping the band continue on.

Buckethead, Brain, Josh Freese, Paul Tobias...

I hope they induct the Replacements.

Yeah them too. It'd be a shame if these guys don't get the recognition for helping Axl keep Guns alive when everyone else abandon ship.

Edited by packersnroses

Why the special treatment for Tommy? You really think he'd wanna be singled out above all the others and be the ones people bitch and argue about for the next fifty years? Does he deserve reward and recognition for what he's done? Of course. Is this induction the right reward and recognition for him? No.

It's only been a few days and I'm kinda sick of talking about it already.

how can that be? you've barely said a thing...

Haha, true :P. I guess I meant I'm sick of all the speculation, like, I think it'd be better to just wait and see what happens rather than just have everybody mouth off about what they think "should" happen; essentially leading to the same "old vs. new" arguments you constantly get where you have folks like Coltrane being ludicrously offensive about the current line-up, folks like Volcano making completely ridiculous claims about the lack of importance of the classic line-ups... And the rest of us who appreciate both kinda caught up in the middle of the shouting match which isn't actually achieving anything productive. If this is going to last months, with the reunion crowd having somehow scented blood giving those of us trying to enjoy the current tour hell etc. then this section isn't going to be very much fun to be around.

That's what I'm getting at.

you make some good points

No.

The rules are nonexistent. Robert Trujillo, Jason Newsted and even Dave Mustaine were invited to go with Metallica.

No.

Didn't Chinese Democracy get great reviews by most critics and sell extremely well throughout most of the world though?

Did it outsell the Spaghetti Incident and Live Era?

Some truth to that. I think if Tommy had replaced Duff but Axl, Slash, Gilby, Matt and Dizzy or whatever were still actively touring and recording as Guns N' Roses- then they'd probably induct him (even if he only appeared on CD). The "problem" is likely they already have such a mish-mash of alumni (including potentially 2 drummers and 2 rhythm guitarists)and still active members (Axl, Dizzy) to deal with to even seriously consider the current line-up. Plus- they can always point to Axl and Dizzy (should he get in) and say "Look- the current line-up IS represented (partially at least)..."

No.

The rules are nonexistent. Robert Trujillo, Jason Newsted and even Dave Mustaine were invited to go with Metallica.

r t

The fact Robert Trujilo got in made the HOF seem pointless. I can see Ronnie Wood getting in for the Rolling Stones as he was in the band for 13 years when they were inducted but Robert was only in the band for a short time.

Its meaningless. Its just an opportunity for wash ups to go on stage and show off their skills. Since the former members fit well into the washup catagory they should go in.

Whole lot of ungrateful people appeared out the woodwork in the last few days... If Trujillo got inducted with Metallica then pretty much anyone in GNR at the moment deserves to go in. When is this ceremony? It's only been a few days and I'm kinda sick of talking about it already.

Trujillo shouldn't have got inducted, though. I think everyone agrees on that.

Two wrongs don't make a right. :thumbsup:

No, not everyone, obviously.

But, Graeme's got a great point. How can Trujillo be inducted with Metallica and Tommy Stinson not be inducted with GN'R? What's the difference really, other than Death Magnetic selling more than Chinese Democracy?

Ali