Rate the shows you have seen

JAxlMorrison

For those who saw shows in 1991 before the records came out, how was the general crowd response to the new songs at the time? I'd be interested in knowing if the crowd was receptive to hearing songs like November Rain or Estranged for the very first time.

In '91, the crowd was fired up, because everyone read about them, and was anticipating hearing these songs for the first time in just a few days. So it was like a sneak preview. They'd play a song like Bad Obsession, and kind of critique it on the spot, trying to hang on to that memory, because when you heard it for the first time on the album you'd say "yeah, I think they played that!"

But November Rain stuck out, because it was so epic and different than anything people heard from Gn'R. I remember the place just exploding when it was finished.

I'm also a big fan of mixing up setlists, and I believe that was one of the only shows on the tour where they opened with Nightrain instead of Jungle, which was super cool.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who saw shows in 1991 before the records came out, how was the general crowd response to the new songs at the time? I'd be interested in knowing if the crowd was receptive to hearing songs like November Rain or Estranged for the very first time.

Edited by dalsh327

Best:

1) Toronto 2010 (one of the best nights in my life)

2) Hamilton 2011 (tough 2nd as I got to hear Estranged and Don't Cry live, not to mention meeting BBF and Beta backstage)

2) Toronto 2002 (only because I was sitting in nosebleeds and the wait was horrid)

Edited by Coma16

1. O2 (date with Duff), fantastic, Axl sounded amazing

2. MSG 2002, first time seeing guns axl handing out doughnuts if I recall, was only in the states for a couple of weeks and was v young, went with my dad and a friend

3. Reading 2010, show cut short but Axl was on fire

4. Wembley Arena, 2006; saw sailing, great show

my 2 favorites are a toss up between 1993 hartford civic center and 2011 comcast theatre in hartford. the band just blew me away a few weeks ago. i also saw them in 2002 boston, the band sounded great but i wasn't a fan of the freakshow look of the band. 2006 in worcester was the worst show by far that i've seen. sound problems from start to finish, axl couldn't hear himself and the crowd could barely hear axl. axl apologized at the end of the show for all of the sound problems. the fact that the show even finished was a miracle because axl almost walked off stage a few times.

Oklahoma City, April 1992-----Incredible show that lasted all til about 2:30 on a school night. This was just a couple of weeks before the Freddie Mercury concert and the band was on FIRE.

Norman, OK November 2011-----After so long I was really worried about how this show would be compared to others. Even though you see youtube videos and what not, there's always a little worry in the back of your mind. Could not have been much better. Even my friends that went with me that aren't huge fans still rave a month later about how awesome the show was.

Dallas, TX September 1992-----The Metallica tour. Got there late, way too drunk, and only saw about 6 songs of Metallica's set. Underwhelmed. We didn't realize not everybody on the bill runs on Axl time! When guns came on they were good, but you could tell a summer of non-stop touring had taken its toll. A bottle got thrown and Axl went off. Set was exactly 90 minutes with one encore. The set had a big "this is a job" vibe to it if that makes any sense.

1. Hamilton Ontario Canada - 2011

This show was fucking amazing. Easily the best show I've ever been to.

2. Hamilton Ontario Canada - 2010

This show was pretty amazing as well. We got TWAT. What more can I say.

3. Toronto Ontario Canada - 2006

This show was sick, first time I witnessed Better live, and got to strum Rons guitar during Paradise City

4. Toronto Ontario Canada - 2002

This show was really cool because it was my first time seeing Guns. The three other shows afterwards were better, but it was badass hearing and seeing Buckethead.

My all-time favourite and one that i'll never forget was Hamilton 1993, as it was fun and my first indoor concert it just overwhelmed myself 2. Would have to have been Hamilton 2011 as I had great seats and the concert was exhausting as I took everything in and it was freakin' loud as hell and my little sis had a great time plus I bought tickets for my parents for Christmas on the other side of the arena and they just couldn't believe how good he sounded. 3. My third has to be Toronto 2002 it just amazing when the lights went out the whole place stood up and when we heard Axl for the first time the place just erupted, the show was good he did make a few speech's about the vacouver show and Montreal Incident which was cool and during Sweet Child the crowd over powered Axl. 4. Hamilton 2010 seats were bad but i brought a friend to her first ever concert and she loved it she got the same feeling I got in '93 so that was cool. 5. Toronto 2010 The wait was awful, the show was good but the wait made it exhausting 6. And last has to be Toronto 2006 I bought five tickets so the seats were awful but it was my brothers and sisters first GNR concert. Thing was my sis loved it and i just told her wait till Hamilton 2011 and Hamilton just slaughtered 2006.

1. Houston 2011

I had decent seats (right next to the inflatable hand), it was a three hour show and everything was amazing and I finally got to hear Don't Cry for the first time live. AND Axl told us the whole story of the song, which meant a lot to me and I couldn't even believe it was happening. And I had after show passes and everyone was really lovely.

2. New Years Eve Vegas 2001

The first time I saw them live, it was a special time and I felt like I was witnessing history being made.

3. Dallas 2011

Almost as amazing as Houston but it was a shorter show and Axl messed up November Rain. I've been wanting to see them since '92 when my parents wouldn't let me see them in Dallas, so it was special to see them in Dallas finally.

I'm pretty sure the show I'm going to in Vegas on New Years is going to be pretty amazing, too.

Not ranking and in no specific order,also non-inclusive of all gigs attended,too many to list,and some were chemically enhanced and Foggy!!

1986 -UCLA's Ackerman Ballroom

1998 -Donington's Monster of Rock.

1989 -opening for stones LA coleseum

1991 July 2 st. Louis riverport

1992 Freddie mercury tribute

1993 Buenos ares Argentina

Several 2006 dates,

2010 dates

And I'm not done with 2011 yet :)

1)1993 Boston St Patrick's Day.. Skin N' Bones tour.. Almost a riot. Just a phenominal show

2)1991 (I think) Worcester MA. Gilby's first show. My first Guns show and I was on acid.. Great show

3)1992 Stadium tour with Metallica. It was a long day.. Metallica kicked ass for the hours then Axl made us wait for a 3 hour intermission. Was still a good show but everyone was beat. Songs like November Rain and Don't Cry just seemed flat after a Metallica set too.

4)2002 Boston. Pretty weak show. Axl sound great and was onfire but that lineup was just a bunch of freaks. Robin sucked and Buckethead is a tool. We actually left early.

Edited by HowlinWolf

There was a show in 1998? I never knew that.

Donington 1998

Now you do, Donington Monsters of Rock,muddy mucky-muck.

Two people were killed.

donington link

Who was in the band?

In August 1998, link above.

Link is for 1988.....not 1998

Typo,sue me, Definately 1988. Monsters of Rock.

Edited by sailaway

1st 18.10.10 MEN, Manchester

2nd 13.10.10 Bercy, Paris

3rd 07.06.06 Hammersmith, London

4th 29.07.06 Wembley Arena, London

5th 13.10.10 O2 Arena, London

6th 17.10.10 NEC Arena, Birmingham

7th 25.07.06 NEC Arena, Birmingham

8th 13.07.93 Bercy, Paris

9th 14.06.92 Maine Road, Manchester

10th 22.05.93 Milton Keynes Bowl

Not rating the Freddie Tribute as it wasn’t a GnR gig....... it was just special.

I was at the Oct. 18 2010 show too, in Manchester. My only GNR show (until Phoenix, 12/27) and it was fucking killer. I was on that high for about 2 days after.

There was a show in 1998? I never knew that.

Donington 1998

Now you do, Donington Monsters of Rock,muddy mucky-muck.

Two people were killed.

donington link

Who was in the band?

In August 1998, link above.

Link is for 1988.....not 1998

Typo,sue me, Definately 1988. Monsters of Rock.

It happens. You did confuse the hell out of me though.

Ha! Been up and running on fumes too long, maybe I'm developing dyslexia or Alzheimers :thumbsup:

2006 Estero fl. #1

Best concert ever. Axl was amazing. IRS was unbelievable, out ta get me, my michellle with baz, used to love her, lald scream sends chills, better jam jump was intense,nightrain, the blues...axl ran around and was viscous on vocals.

2011 Orlando FL # 2

Pleased with turnout and his rebound from rio. However his physical appearance and lack of movement onstage was kinda let down. His voice was good but not anywhere near 06'.