New Axl Interview

The Real McCoy

Don't respond to that guy (gnrfan2007), he's intentionally saying the opposite of what's true or he genuinely believes it. Either wya, not worth responding too.

A tour with Axl, Slash, and Duff would sell twice as much as this band even if you had Barney on rhythm guitar and gnrfan2007 on drums.

that quote about the Illusions is crazy interesting. Every time he mentions the old band since the infamous cancer comment, he gets nicer about the old band and the possibility of a reunion. I never thought I'd see the day where he would even THINK about contemplating which line-up he would reunite with. That's a huge step. Even if he said he prefers his employees, he considered the thought of touring with the Illusions group.

That's FUCKING awesome.

Agreed...the dudes a friggin joke!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't respond to that guy (gnrfan2007), he's intentionally saying the opposite of what's true or he genuinely believes it. Either wya, not worth responding too.

A tour with Axl, Slash, and Duff would sell twice as much as this band even if you had Barney on rhythm guitar and gnrfan2007 on drums.

that quote about the Illusions is crazy interesting. Every time he mentions the old band since the infamous cancer comment, he gets nicer about the old band and the possibility of a reunion. I never thought I'd see the day where he would even THINK about contemplating which line-up he would reunite with. That's a huge step. Even if he said he prefers his employees, he considered the thought of touring with the Illusions group.

That's FUCKING awesome.

I don't know where you read that he admits there is a possibility of a reunion.

You are talking about those 3 lines before he says that current GnR works real hard?

stop dreaming, there will never be a reunion.

Axl is crazy if he thinks this current lineup is going to do anything

I am sure attendance has been rapidly decreasing since he took out the "New" Guns N Roses since 2002

Most people want to see the old GNR

Not really dude.

GnR died in 1992 because of bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

People who dislike GnR today, dislike them because of the old lineup and old music.

Even if Slash and Duff were still in GnR today, it would not make a difference to their USA tour attendance.

This is what Axl is referring to about a reunion tour falling flat on its face if he would ever agree to doing one. It may sound like a cool idea, but ultimately, it would fail miserably.

this is extremely wrong. take the people i asked to go to gnr with me last month. i could only find 3 people to go. about 10 others that i asked to go asked me if slash was in the band yet and said they'd go if slash was in it. so, taking my experience and extrapolating it out to all the shows across the US, you'd have many more going if it were the originals.

So your sample size of friends dictate what the rest of the world will do right? LOL

So your sample size of friends dictate what the rest of the world will do right? LOL

So your word dictates what the rest of the world will do?

Absolutely not. Face it, if its speculation on his end, its speculation on your end. Far from fact based on your own standards

People who dislike GnR today, dislike them because of the old lineup and old music.

^^Just... no.

Edited by WhazUp

That's FUCKING awesome.

And I think by saying "twice as much" you're being really humble about that situation. Unfortunately, we don't need to think like the managers Axl has hired and fired. Whatever is better for Axl Rose or any other past member is what we should want so... reunion = never gonna happen.

I am sure attendance has been rapidly decreasing since he took out the "New" Guns N Roses since 2002

Not really dude.

Even if Slash and Duff were still in GnR today, it would not make a difference to their USA tour attendance.

This is what Axl is referring to about a reunion tour falling flat on its face if he would ever agree to doing one. It may sound like a cool idea, but ultimately, it would fail miserably.

this is extremely wrong. take the people i asked to go to gnr with me last month. i could only find 3 people to go. about 10 others that i asked to go asked me if slash was in the band yet and said they'd go if slash was in it. so, taking my experience and extrapolating it out to all the shows across the US, you'd have many more going if it were the originals.

yes. my sample size of friends can be extrapolated to the world. i'm glad you got my point.

Are you kidding me? lol They would be able to sell out two shows a night with Slash and Duff in the mix.. This was one of the biggest bands of all time at one point. They were fucking huge. People liked the linup and music then. Besides some die Axl fanboys on these boards, those millions of fans didn't just turn on the members and the music.

If GnR reunited they would sell out arenas in minutes.. That is a fact.. To think they would be playing to half full arenas is obsurd.

EDIT: I do not know one person that went to the Worcester show. Guaranteed if it the old band reunited I would know plenty of people that went or tried to get a ticket.

No, it's not a FACT as you claim.

Which is the point Axl was making.

Everybody thinks a reunion tour would be so great and that everyone would make lots of money, but the fact is nobody knows for sure what will happen.

Once everybody gets their commission, they will cut and run!

So Axl knows better that a reunion tour will not be an instant success.

Not really dude.

yes. my sample size of friends can be extrapolated to the world. i'm glad you got my point.

In that case, tell them you will buy them a ticket to the GNR show and the Miles/Slash/Fergie shows next time they are in town. If they enjoy the GNR show more, they can refund you the cost of the Miles/Slash/Fergie ticket.

Not really dude.

In that case, tell them you will buy them a ticket to the GNR show and the Miles/Slash/Fergie shows next time they are in town. If they enjoy the GNR show more, they can refund you the cost of the Miles/Slash/Fergie ticket.

i myself would enjoy the gnr show more so i can extrapolate that out to everyone in the world.

Are you kidding me? lol They would be able to sell out two shows a night with Slash and Duff in the mix.. This was one of the biggest bands of all time at one point. They were fucking huge. People liked the linup and music then. Besides some die Axl fanboys on these boards, those millions of fans didn't just turn on the members and the music.

If GnR reunited they would sell out arenas in minutes.. That is a fact.. To think they would be playing to half full arenas is obsurd.

EDIT: I do not know one person that went to the Worcester show. Guaranteed if it the old band reunited I would know plenty of people that went or tried to get a ticket.

Everybody thinks a reunion tour would be so great and that everyone would make lots of money, but the fact is nobody knows for sure what will happen.

When he references the possibility of the tour flopping, I believe he means that it could easily disintegrate due to personal differences between band members and their entourages. I think we can assume with relative certainly that the shows would get heavy media coverage and would sell out.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones.

This part intrigued me...

hey axl, you fired steven before the illusions.

Isn't he saying that if he were going to do a reunion (which he is not), that it would be the Illusion band, not the Appetite band? I am pretty sure that is what he meant, ie. you can't count on Izzy full-time and he wouldn't want Steven in the band over Matt.

i think he's saying slash and duff are more important to guns n roses than even he is.

No. Axl is just saying the only people who would do a reunion is Slash and Duff.

If people wanted the CLASSIC LINEUP from AFD to do a reunion tour, it would never work.

Izzy doesn't do touring. Steven is unreliable and has too many issues.

Even if you could get Izzy and Steven on board, then what material will you tour on? You really only have AFD material and a few songs from Lies.

So basically, the only possible REUNION TOUR would be one that amounted to just another 1992-1993 UYI tour.

So really, the REUNION TOUR is pointless and would fail miserably.

Which is what Axl was saying about these ex-managers. Once they get their commission cut, they will just cut and run and will not give a damn when the tour falls flat on its face.

No. He's saying that a "reunion" would be a "REUNION" only if Slash and Duff are there, those two members --according to him-- are the only ones people who want a reunion care about.

So Izzy doesn't matter?

The point Axl is making is this: is it really going to be a reunion a tour with just Axl, Slash, and Duff?

Izzy will not tour. Steven would want to tour, but realistically, Steven is not talented and sane enough to play at their level. Even on the AFD songs, Axl will not want to sing with him as the drummer.

And with Steven, you only can have AFD songs.

So then, do you bring back Matt and Gilby?

So what you basically end up with is just another 1992-1993 UYI tour. And what would be the point of that?

Then add the fact that Axl doesn't like Slash and Matt ... now what?

So not only is a reunion tour pointless, it can never work!

Edited by gnrfan2007

Axl is so fucking confusing lol.... When you try to decipher what he says it makes no sense.. So his new drummers work hard but Stinson doesn't? Who knows... Personally I would love to see Axl, Slash and Duff.. That would be pretty bad ass. It is as close to seeing the classic lineup as I have ever seen anyway because I never saw them until the UYI's tour.. It just fucking blows my mind that now Izzy is the one that he wouldn't want onboard. That makes NO sense to me at all. I have had dreams of seeing Axl, Slash, Duff and IZZY play together someday. I would rather see Axl, Slash and Izzy than Axl, Slash and Duff... Axl is so perplexing lol... I never really expected Steven to be part of it. I wish he was but it ain't happening.

I am really getting the feeling that Axl and Slash are quietly mending their friendship behind closed doors.

Axl

Slash

Duff

Ashba

Frank

Dizzy

That would work for me...

Lovin' the reunion talk for the purpose of seeing Volcano get so defensive. haha

I'm guessing (and I'm 1/2 serious) he has trouble sleeping some nights over this.

after what Axl said, I don't why he would be bothered.

It is pretty clear that a reunion is not likely to happen any time soon.

I almost feel like Axl is opening up to a reunion after he finishes his business with the new band. Or even a short term reunion for the fans and to heal woulds. But it has to be on his terms and can't be a full reunion because he will feel threatened or that he has given in. I dunno if those were the correct words but it seems like he would need some of his new guys there to have some control or to have people there who have been with him to have his back.

Not really dude.

: :rolleyes:

That's why AC/DC, KISS, Van Halen, etc, have been playing in clubs since 1992, because of Nirvana and Pearl Jam...

If 15,000 people will go to a Van Halen show, just as many would go see and AFD/UYI-era lineup of GN'R.

Edited by RichardNixon

The enthusiasm he feels for this band is evident on his face, which lights up when talking about working with former Replacements bassist Stinson, guitarists Fortus, DJ Ashba, and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and the rest of the '11 Roses.

It's a far contrast to his demeanor when Slash's name comes up. Despite requests from Rose's publicist that he not be asked questions about the former GNR guitarist, Rose himself mentions his ex-bandmate's name minutes into the conversation and locks onto the subject.

Over the course of the interview, which took place from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. in his dimly lit dressing room, Rose talked about the past, present, and future without pulling any punches.
Pop & Hiss will have a few more excerpts of the conversation in the days to come. Check back.

I would suggest that you reunionists wait awhile before jumping to conclusions and taking things out of context, but I know how much you guys love to be wrong about things. Have fun. :thumbsup:

It's a fact. A reunion tour would make lots of money and would make 'the current band sells' look like a joke. That said, they [the managers] think that it can be done by only one call, by calling Slash and Duff to tell them they'll tour the world as Gn'R again. Truth is, it's not that simple, it's not that easy, they seem to forget about Gn'R break-up and the hell of trouble Axl and Slash had back then and still have. They might tour the world again but they wouldn't be a band, neither Axl nor Slash would be comfortable with each other, so the "almighty reunion tour" would probably fall flat on its face and the 'band' would break-up again after the 2nd show, leaving them as one of the biggest epic fails in history of Rock N' Roll.

Edited by pi2loc

Axl is so fucking confusing lol.... When you try to decipher what he says it makes no sense.. So his new drummers work hard but Stinson doesn't? Who knows... Personally I would love to see Axl, Slash and Duff.. That would be pretty bad ass. It is as close to seeing the classic lineup as I have ever seen anyway because I never saw them until the UYI's tour.. It just fucking blows my mind that now Izzy is the one that he wouldn't want onboard. That makes NO sense to me at all. I have had dreams of seeing Axl, Slash, Duff and IZZY play together someday. I would rather see Axl, Slash and Izzy than Axl, Slash and Duff... Axl is so perplexing lol... I never really expected Steven to be part of it. I wish he was but it ain't happening.

I am really getting the feeling that Axl and Slash are quietly mending their friendship behind closed doors.

Axl

Slash

Duff

Ashba

Frank

Dizzy

I really don't think that it's that Axl wouldn't "want" Izzy onboard. Remember that Izzy left basically before the UYI tour even got going. He made it clear he didn't have any interest in being in a big band, doing a lot of live concerts, dealing with Axl on a daily basis, etc. Even when he was in the band, he didn't seem that into it. Remember Axl & Slash complaining about how Izzy didn't move around on stage and sometimes was playing the wrong thing?

We know that Duff and Slash have commented about their interest in returning, but Izzy never did. Maybe he told Axl he wouldn't want to return, or maybe Axl is just assuming he couldn't be counted on.

Axl

Slash

Duff

Ashba

Frank

Dizzy

I really don't think that it's that Axl wouldn't "want" Izzy onboard. Remember that Izzy left basically before the UYI tour even got going. He made it clear he didn't have any interest in being in a big band, doing a lot of live concerts, dealing with Axl on a daily basis, etc. Even when he was in the band, he didn't seem that into it. Remember Axl & Slash complaining about how Izzy didn't move around on stage and sometimes was playing the wrong thing?

We know that Duff and Slash have commented about their interest in returning, but Izzy never did. Maybe he told Axl he wouldn't want to return, or maybe Axl is just assuming he couldn't be counted on.

I thought I just read somewhere in the last couple of days that Izzy said he helped write those songs and he would be interested.. Not sure how long ago he said taht..

Axl

Slash

Duff

Ashba

Frank

Dizzy

I thought I just read somewhere in the last couple of days that Izzy said he helped write those songs and he would be interested.. Not sure how long ago he said taht..

2006 I think. Axl never said he wouldn't want Izzy onboard. It's pretty clear that he states that people who want a reunion or are expecting for one only care about Slash and Duff. We would have to ask them if they'll be 100% satisfied if only Izzy and Steven reunites with Axl and tour again.

2006 I think. Axl never said he wouldn't want Izzy onboard. It's pretty clear that he states that people who want a reunion or are expecting for one only care about Slash and Duff. We would have to ask them if they'll be 100% satisfied if only Izzy and Steven reunites with Axl and tour again.

that isn't what I just read. I would care about IZZY though!!! Slash and Izzy together are what the made the GnR guitars great.