New Axl Interview

The Real McCoy

Slash was a late arrival into the Guns N' Roses fold, Rose loves reminding people, and apart from a few key riffs, says Rose, the guitarist was much less involved in the songs than Rose and Stradlin.

"It was really a fight with me and Slash," says Rose of the forces that took down the band. "Izzy was doing the same thing, but the fight with me and Slash started the day I met him. He came in, popped my tape out and put his in and wanted me in his band. And I didn't want to join his band. We've had that war since Day 1."

Source: Truth about Slash

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones.

This part intrigued me...

hey axl, you fired steven before the illusions.

Isn't he saying that if he were going to do a reunion (which he is not), that it would be the Illusion band, not the Appetite band? I am pretty sure that is what he meant, ie. you can't count on Izzy full-time and he wouldn't want Steven in the band over Matt.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones.

Isn't he saying that if he were going to do a reunion (which he is not), that it would be the Illusion band, not the Appetite band? I am pretty sure that is what he meant, ie. you can't count on Izzy full-time and he wouldn't want Steven in the band over Matt.

i think he's saying slash and duff are more important to guns n roses than even he is.

Can someone explain this to me...

"Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion. And these guys have been here a long time, whether the public knows it or not because we haven’t done the media like that. Tommy’s been on 14 years, Richard’s going on 11. That’s as long as Duff was in the band. Chris has been in going on 11, Dizzy’s on since "Illusion," Frank’s going on six, and so’s Bumble. These guys have been here. And DJ’s going on three."

It's a bit unclear, but the way I interpret it if he were to do a reunion, it would have to be the Illusion band, but he doesn't want to do that because it was such a difficult time. You couldn't do a full-scale reunion with the Appetite guys because you can't rely on Izzy or Steven. So he's much happier with the current group.

Axl is crazy if he thinks this current lineup is going to do anything

I am sure attendance has been rapidly decreasing since he took out the "New" Guns N Roses since 2002

Most people want to see the old GNR

And I am sure that's not the case with attendance at all...every show I went to was basically full...

I am sure attendance has been rapidly decreasing since he took out the "New" Guns N Roses since 2002

Keep thinking that noob

thats also not true

in 2002 according to pollstar GNR averaged 7,500 on their arena treck, this time they around that number or perhaps they are getting more than that

It's a bit unclear, but the way I interpret it if he were to do a reunion, it would have to be the Illusion band, but he doesn't want to do that because it was such a difficult time. You couldn't do a full-scale reunion with the Appetite guys because you can't rely on Izzy or Steven. So he's much happier with the current group.

Correct.

i think he's saying slash and duff are more important to guns n roses than even he is.

No. Axl is just saying the only people who would do a reunion is Slash and Duff.

If people wanted the CLASSIC LINEUP from AFD to do a reunion tour, it would never work.

Izzy doesn't do touring. Steven is unreliable and has too many issues.

Even if you could get Izzy and Steven on board, then what material will you tour on? You really only have AFD material and a few songs from Lies.

So basically, the only possible REUNION TOUR would be one that amounted to just another 1992-1993 UYI tour.

So really, the REUNION TOUR is pointless and would fail miserably.

Which is what Axl was saying about these ex-managers. Once they get their commission cut, they will just cut and run and will not give a damn when the tour falls flat on its face.

Edited by gnrfan2007

No. Axl is just saying the only people who would do a reunion is Slash and Duff.

If people wanted the CLASSIC LINEUP from AFD to do a reunion tour, it would never work.

Even if you could get Izzy and Steven on board, then what material will you tour on? You really only have AFD material and a few songs from Lies.

So basically, the only possible REUNION TOUR would be one that amounted to just another 1992-1993 UYI tour.

Which is what Axl was saying about these ex-managers. Once they get their commission cut, they will just cut and run and will not give a damn when the tour falls flat on its face.

nah, he's saying slash and duff are the reasons people want to see gnr.

I don't think a reunion tour will fall flat on its face. I mean let's face it the general public wants a reunion - which is the reason why there is so many people trying to get into Axl's camp with the intention of fucking over the new band and getting a reunion going. You say it would be "just another 1992-1993 tour" in terms of setlists - and there might be truth to that - but the fact it there is a high demand for a reunion and I can't see a reason that if they put together the tour that it would do poorly

I think Axl is saying that the record execs just care about the money - hence why they want Axl to reunite with the old guys and don't give a damn about the new band. Its a shame that the industry is so two-faced, I mean do these industry people really think they can get Axl to budge? You can't force someone to reunite with people they clearly do not want to be associated with anymore for whatever reasons

Edited by WhazUp

Not really dude.

GnR died in 1992 because of bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

People who dislike GnR today, dislike them because of the old lineup and old music.

Even if Slash and Duff were still in GnR today, it would not make a difference to their USA tour attendance.

This is what Axl is referring to about a reunion tour falling flat on its face if he would ever agree to doing one. It may sound like a cool idea, but ultimately, it would fail miserably.

Not really dude.

People who dislike GnR today, dislike them because of the old lineup and old music.

Even if Slash and Duff were still in GnR today, it would not make a difference to their USA tour attendance.

This is what Axl is referring to about a reunion tour falling flat on its face if he would ever agree to doing one. It may sound like a cool idea, but ultimately, it would fail miserably.

this is extremely wrong. take the people i asked to go to gnr with me last month. i could only find 3 people to go. about 10 others that i asked to go asked me if slash was in the band yet and said they'd go if slash was in it. so, taking my experience and extrapolating it out to all the shows across the US, you'd have many more going if it were the originals.

Edited by axlslashduffizzysteven

Are you kidding me? lol They would be able to sell out two shows a night with Slash and Duff in the mix.. This was one of the biggest bands of all time at one point. They were fucking huge. People liked the linup and music then. Besides some die Axl fanboys on these boards, those millions of fans didn't just turn on the members and the music.

If GnR reunited they would sell out arenas in minutes.. That is a fact.. To think they would be playing to half full arenas is obsurd.

EDIT: I do not know one person that went to the Worcester show. Guaranteed if it the old band reunited I would know plenty of people that went or tried to get a ticket.

Edited by HowlinWolf

Not really dude.

I disagree

Look there is a clear reason why these two-faced industry people want a reunion tour: $$$$

Regarding your point of "if Slash and Duff were in GNR today would they still be relevant, etc." Well its different because they haven't been in the band, and there is a high demand for the old band - as evidenced by the general public's views on GNR.

And I also think that your point about old GNR being the reason why GNR as a whole is disliked is inaccurate. There is some truth to the fact that alternative music did overshadow them in the 90's to at least some extent, but it was not to the point where they weren't liked or not well known. Most people I know dislike new GNR and prefer the old GNR music. Should it be that way? Well I personally wish more people gave the current lineup a chance. But to say a reunion wouldn't be huge is just inaccurate

Edited by WhazUp

That is exactly how I interpret it as well.

No. He's saying that a "reunion" would be a "REUNION" only if Slash and Duff are there, those two members --according to him-- are the only ones people who want a reunion care about.

I've been a GnR fan since 1987 and I would rather have a new album by the current band than a reunion of the old band.

Yes, absolutely. If I wanted the old band I'd just visit YouTube and see them in their prime. But I want something relevant, something current, something new, and then my only hope is with the current GN'R. I don't want to see middle aged enemies reunite just for a cash-grab tour that would ruin my fond memories of classic guns for ever.